Flat towing a wrangler

93redzj

So I’ve never flat towed, but we have an 03 wrangler and my in-laws are asking about taking it with them out to Colorado next summer. They would be flat towing it behind their RV. It’s got a 4” lift on short arms, SYE and on 35’s. Would it even be a good idea to flat tow this thing that far? Them hauling a trailer is not an option, I’m guessing due to where they will be set up

I have an 03 TJ. Used to tow it 4 down all over behind my motor home. It was stock suspension so I can’t comment on the impact of the lift and bigger tires but i would think it would be fine. Correct way will sound weird but I am sure it’s correct. For a 5 speed manual, transfer case in neutral, key in first position to unlock steering wheel and transmission in first gear. Worked great. The longest I pulled was 800 miles one way. No issues. Biggest issue was debris in radiator smelled for a day when I drove it and Jeep warmed up. Debris from under MH. I made a guard for subsequent trips.

I have a Blue OX tow bar and brackets that will bolt onto your in laws Jeep. $200 but you have to take a set of stainless steel nerf bars with the tow bar! I have flat towed all over , its not bad at all .

I flat tow my JKUR, 4" lift, 37's. I have a blue OX tow bar and actually hook it to the D ring mounts on my bumper. I also have a Brake Buddy breaking system I use as well in the JK for peace of mind. Just want to make sure the tow bar is pretty level. I had to buy a heavy duty raised hitch to level mine out. Takes just a few minutes to hook/unhook. Have around 8000 miles on mine towing.

I have an 03 TJ. Used to tow it 4 down all over behind my motor home. It was stock suspension so I can’t comment on the impact of the lift and bigger tires but i would think it would be fine. Correct way will sound weird but I am sure it’s correct. For a 5 speed manual, transfer case in neutral, key in first position to unlock steering wheel and transmission in first gear. Worked great. The longest I pulled was 800 miles one way. No issues. Biggest issue was debris in radiator smelled for a day when I drove it and Jeep warmed up. Debris from under MH. I made a guard for subsequent trips.
Ours is automatic, I’m guessing it’s same for that? Transfer case in neutral, would trans be in neutral or first?

I have a Blue OX tow bar and brackets that will bolt onto your in laws Jeep. $200 but you have to take a set of stainless steel nerf bars with the tow bar! I have flat towed all over , its not bad at all .
Awesome, I’ll let them know, they did mention they will buy the necessary parts/hardware to flat tow it so I’ll see if they are interested thanks

Ours is automatic, I’m guessing it’s same for that? Transfer case in neutral, would trans be in neutral or first?
Check your manual but I believe it's tcase in neutral and trans in park. The manual trans in gear is to keep trans parts from spinning from friction drag and I think the same applies for auto.

I have nothing except the link of towing it in 4Lo

I know people do it every day and it's not required, but going that far for my comfort I would pull the driveshafts if they're not planning to drive it along the way. The one and only experience I have with flat towing is my dad towed his samurai to and from Gulches (1 hr each way). Going was fine. During the day apparently the front driveshaft bolts at the pinion had loosened. 10 minutes into the trip home the front driveshaft came loose and the axle end almost hit me following him. On its way out it broke the front tcase output and dented the shit out of the oil pan.

I know people do it every day and it's not required, but going that far for my comfort I would pull the driveshafts if they're not planning to drive it along the way. The one and only experience I have with flat towing is my dad towed his samurai to and from Gulches (1 hr each way). Going was fine. During the day apparently the front driveshaft bolts at the pinion had loosened. 10 minutes into the trip home the front driveshaft came loose and the axle end almost hit me following him. On its way out it broke the front tcase output and dented the shit out of the oil pan.
That's what I do if I have to flat tow my crawler. I just disconnect the driveshaft at the axle, and zip tie the drive shaft to the frame/body. Its just good piece of mind since to not have to worry about the driveshaft rapidly disassembling itself.

I don’t believe they are planning to drive along the way but not sure, although, her dad is 6’7 and in his 70’s so I don’t believe crawling under the Jeep to reconnect the driveshaft once there is an option either. Your scenario is quite concerning though

Back