Finally got a trailer to haul my jeep around!

spraypaintman

She's a 16 footer by 80" wide....got it from slacker here on the board. Thanks man!

Used it to tow my rig to the BDOR event and she did great.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v214_nhodierne_8adab13e.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v214_nhodierne_079be32a.jpg

Here's a really good pic of my trailer.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v214_nhodierne_trrr.jpg

top right corner....hehe

Nice trailer....

Whose Ranger? I'd like to build one very similar to that one day.....

doc said:
Nice trailer....
Whose Ranger? I'd like to build one very similar to that one day.....

Thanks...it's nice to finally have a trailer.

Anybody know where to get some dust caps for the axles? Northern didn't have the right size.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v214_nhodierne_9be3e3de.jpg

I have painted the wheels black since the pic.

They look like mobile home axles...check at one of there supply places. I know there is one on high point rd. near the Box seat bar.

Cool, thanks! Did you get your tire back from being vulcanhulkhogananized?

Thanks guys...I got some caps and installed them yesterday. I smashed one of them though. Is there a tool for putting them on? Maybe a soup can would work! :D

spraypaintman said:
Thanks guys...I got some caps and installed them yesterday. I smashed one of them though. Is there a tool for putting them on? Maybe a soup can would work! :D

Just use a screw drive and tap on the little raise edge around outside of cap..

Yeah, I tried the screwdriver tappy tappy on the edges but it kept popping out.

I like the big socket idea or soup can....to keep even pressure around when hammering

I still need to add some braces to the ramps. But other than that it is working great. I also put some of those long red and white reflector stickers on the sides and back.

I got my ramps done and the ramp bar fixed. I got the angle iron from DH Griffin for FREE!!!! :D

New support welded under the ramp. Need a new tail light on drivers side. One of the bolts broke off and it was the ground.
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v214_nhodierne_6be82632.jpg

Spare 727trans in garage & reflector stickers on trailer.
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v214_nhodierne_1422bc41.jpg

Ramp in down position.
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v214_nhodierne_69863831.jpg

Ramp tie down bar rewelded to side of trailer. It had broken off.
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v214_nhodierne_9e70bfb6.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v214_nhodierne_c1658799.jpg

Looks a lot like a trailer that me and an azzhat DMV officer had a "discussion" about on the side of I-40 once. Pulled me for no fenders. Said mobile home axles aren't legal on utility trailers per the DMV, only for MH delivery. My trailer also had a pin hitch (pin, not pintle). Not legal, either. And according to him, the license plate has to be horizontal (mine was turned vertical and screwed to the ramp support). He wanted to red-tag me, but I talked him into letting me go on to my destination, just a couple miles from there. No ticket. He got his ego-trip, I walked.

Moral of the story? I fergit. Oh, think about putting fenders on it, that's why he pulled me in the first place.

noticed the ramp supports are on the ground with the trailer unloaded. Did you load the rig and then try to put the ramps up yet? Usually if you have any flex in the trailer or older, softer springs, if they are on the ground unloaded, there will be too much weight on them to fold them up when it is loaded. Also, kinda tricky when you are unloading on uneven terrain. If it is solid after loading, you might have to pull forward a bit to get the ramps moving and then fold them up.

HTH,
Shannon

Good point...I guess I'll find out next time I load the jeep. LOL

I'm going to try without fenders for a while since my jeep is a little wider than the trailer. 82" wide jeep and trailer is 79" wide.

To borrow a line from Pirate:

"needs more triangulation"

I'd run a diagonal brace on that kickstand, to keep it from flopping forward or back when you put a load on it.

IN the pic is the trailer hooked up? If the front jack is up then there may be no issue with lowering the ramp. And he is right, you do need to triangulate the foot you made. Even when and if it is high enough on some terrains you will have to back up with ramps down to get them to lay down, And some times, you will have to pull forward to get the back up.

Without fenders you may be OK depending on your rig and location of axles. I have to park mine over where the tires are to get enough tongue weight, so 1/4" diamond plate fenders were made. My trailer is 96 wide, so I park on the outside and other cars and such fit between the fenders.

spraypaintman said:
I'm going to try without fenders for a while since my jeep is a little wider than the trailer. 82" wide jeep and trailer is 79" wide.

Either make them removable or make them out of something flexible... a bud in SC made his from conveyor belt & just drives over them and there's been talk of using cutup TSL carcasses... or be ready for a ticket when you get pulled for not having them.

FWIW, I haven't been stopped recently, but got stopped once a month back in the 70's for my dad's delivery trailer missing just 1 fender! :rolleyes: We both decided the fender was cheaper than the hassles...

The trailer is not hooked up in those pics. That's a good idea to add another piece of metal from the leg to the ramp. I have a 3/16" strip I could use. The conveyor belt fender is a good idea....just drive over.

Back