Exporting a Buggy?

M&M Offroad

Has anyone on here ever exported a vehicle that was not road legal.. I am working on getting a title for the buggy but not going to register it to drive.. I have an interested party in Romania and was wondering if any of you have any suggestions for making this as painless as it could be.. Experiences?

PJ, we export stuff all the time at work. When we export the stuff, we get around a lot of tariffs, taxes, and red tape by sending "parts that require assembly." That implies to the country receiving the goods that labor and materials within the country will be required to make it functional. In your case, if you send a "non-functioning" buggy to romania, you may not have to call it a "vehicle." For example, build it complete, then take the wheels and tires off, remove the engine computer, and definitely no battery. Creative thinking like that is the way to go. Ship it with no axles in place and and make the manifest/commercial invoice show "replacement parts." The guy in romania assembles it into a buggy, without your knowledge.

Benjie, thanks for the input.. I am going to try to ship it as a whole. You think if i get a title for it that is the way to go?... i will see how hard it is to get that done in the next few weeks.. I have a cruiser title that i felt was ok for in the usa.. but with customs i can see that being a nightmare... So i am going to try to get a true homebuilt vehicle title...

You may need to drain all the fluids.

titling it will probably net you some unwanted tariffs.
Romania is full EU now right?
I think you're going to be looking at close to 10% tariff and 10-15% VAT (read also tariff, but world bank caps tariff's for trade regulations)

If it's to be registered, there might be real issues bring it to the EU spec. But I know more about Germany and UK, than anywhere else.
:)
I was "told" the reasons it's a pita are more EU specific than just the country, but I could be wrong.

I guess the buyer needs it to have a title, be streetable, etc? if not, then it seems you are creating a lot of unnecessary headache.

I would sell it as an off highway piece of equipment and not as a vehicle. Then remove the drive shafts to make it 'require assembly' to work if that helps.

No, the vehicle does not have to be streetable for the buyer.. he just wants it to be able to go through customs without to big of a hassle.. figured title would be the best way to relieve BS.... If i could convince them tha it was an off highway piece of equipment and not as a vehicle, i would try.. however i think they will give me shit for that... It does look like a vehicle... Do terriffs go off of sale price or an estimated value?

shipping tires may bite you too. you may want to look into regulations for shipping tires to another country. ever noticed youve never seen a set of simex tires over here?

shipping tires may bite you too. you may want to look into regulations for shipping tires to another country. ever noticed youve never seen a set of simex tires over here?
but you see an ass load of "bigger" Interco tires made who knows where....

No, the vehicle does not have to be streetable for the buyer.. he just wants it to be able to go through customs without to big of a hassle.. figured title would be the best way to relieve BS.... If i could convince them tha it was an off highway piece of equipment and not as a vehicle, i would try.. however i think they will give me shit for that... It does look like a vehicle... Do terriffs go off of sale price or an estimated value?

Pull the axles and tires. Then it's just a bunch of tube with a motor. Shouldn't be hard for him to lift some steering 14 bolts into place? :flipoff2:

You see a shit ton of interco tires over there though. As far as I know, the reason you don't see simex tires over here is because they don't want to deal with DOT regs and won't ship to US or US importers.

As far as I know, the reason you don't see simex tires over here is because they don't want to deal with DOT regs and won't ship to US or US importers.

Exactly. It's not that "shipping tires" is an issue -- it's that shipping automobiles and automobile parts into the US is difficult, expensive, and there's no guarantee that the Feds aren't going to raid your house and confiscate your EU-spec headlamps. :shaking:

PM Estonian him and his dad import and export vehicles and parts to and from europe all the time

Back