Experienced painter advice????

rightwinged

Ive painted a few trucks before, but never really knew what i was doing. ive done alot of research but nothing leads me to what i need. I got a k-5 stripped to bare metal and needed some advice. I think i want to go with epoxy primer with a 2k primer surfacer on top of that. then black cherry pearl base coat, and clear coat on top of that. my questions are....How many coats of epoxy primer do i put on? how many coats of surfacer? is wet sanding/color sanding nessecary? and any other tips and tricks the pros out there can give me would help out alot.

Before you spray get it the metal clean clean any grease or sweat or dust will mess up the paint. If your wanting to get it really smooth you need to get a long flat sanding bar I got one thats about 2ft long spray it in red primer then in gray then sand the gray not to aggressive and your high spots will come in as red spots then you can do the appropriate repairs and re spray in red and sand until you c no high spots again as far as # of coats go as far as you wanna go but before you spray you should have it pretty close on the body work where it shouldn't take more than about 4 coats of that process. 2 or 3 coats of surfacer then at least 3 coats of paint a few more would b better then atleast 3 coats of clear is what I do and again more the better/ to a point.

I say 3 coats of paint b/c my first coat is further away from the panel than the rest its just a "fog" coat, sprayed on to "fog" the surface with a quick 10min break to let the paint eat into the primer so it adheres well and helps prevent runs. Then a 2nd coat of paint gun closer to the panel, then a 3rd the same as the 2nd, and so on depending on how "show" quality it is. Same process for the clear.

wax n grease/clean
metal etch primer-primer-sand
primer-sand X2 on the long block
sealer-base-clear
about mid way thru basecoat take some 2000grit and lightly sand entire truck-tack again finish base
after 2-3 coats of clear nib trash-buff
or like older guys do 2-3 coats of clear wetsand 2-3000grit and reclear.

painted for 10yrs

oh and you need to be the same distance from the panel every time u pull the trigger. 6-8in

i know its late but every container of paint products should have ratios on them use the paint store supplied mixing cups and they have proper ratios on them. hope that helps:beer:

Back