Evinrude gone after 113 years.

Well damn....that really sucks

Shit. That sucks.

I think if mercury didn’t have contracts with so many boat brands they would be in the same boat.
I don’t know anyone personally or second hand that has repowered with a mercury.

Yamaha has a strong hold right now on saltwater motors.

Yamaha, Suzuki and now tohatsu are the brands people are repowering with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think if mercury didn’t have contracts with so many boat brands they would be in the same boat.
I don’t know anyone personally or second hand that has repowered with a mercury.

Yamaha has a strong hold right now on saltwater motors.

Yamaha, Suzuki and now tohatsu are the brands people are repowering with

No Honda (everyone seems to say "Oh yeah, I forgot about Honda")? I'd likely lean toward Yamaha or Suzuki, just based on brand identity and reliability reputation, but I'm not familiar with Tohatsu. The E-TEC stuff was pretty great for power-to-weight ratio, so there's going to be a hole there in the market.

I'm about to send a text message about this to my buddy, who is currently on the lake with his Evinrude (like most weekday mornings). You should hear yelling in a few minutes.

Speaking of repowers, I wonder if there are any E-TEC deals to be had, assuming that BRP continues the parts chain support for a useful number of years into the future......

Last edited:
Personally I can’t think of a boat I’ve seen recently with a Honda motor. I think they are behind the curve on weight to power now and are going to be playing catch-up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shit. That sucks.

I concur. Every bass boat we've owned over the past 25+ years has been powered by an Evinrude/Johnson outboard. Most of them were from the OMC era, but the current motor is a BRP. Outside of routine maintenance, we've never had to do any significant repairs, and never had a single failure out of any of them. Gonna be tough switching over when the time comes to get into a new boat.

I dont know how true this is...but Saturday I was at a graduation party for a friends daughter.
Another attendee I didnt otherwise know owns a marina/boat dealership in Anderson, SC.
They are an Evinrude dealer.
He says his Evinrude rep has told them that BRP isnt getting out of the business, but they will re-emerge next year under another trade name. He says it maybe can-am, it may play off Seadoo and there were even rumors of (according to him) reviving either the Johnson or Mariner trade name.

He didnt really ahve an answer as to why they would abandon the brand equity of Evinrude for another flag other than "potential warranty mitigation"

I dont know how true this is...but Saturday I was at a graduation party for a friends daughter.
Another attendee I didnt otherwise know owns a marina/boat dealership in Anderson, SC.
He says his Evinrude rep has told them that BRP isnt getting out of the business, but they will re-emerge next year under another trade name. He says it maybe can-am, it may play off Seadoo and there were even rumors of (according to him) reviving either the Johnson or Mariner trade name.

He didnt really ahve an answer as to why they would abandon the brand equity of Evinrude for another flag other than "potential warranty mitigation"

Yeah...names/manufacturing that big usually don’t just dissolve. First thing I thought when I first saw this article was ‘they’ll be back under another banner within 3 years’.

I build a lot of machines for brp in spruce pine where all of the cast aluminum parts -- including blocks, lower units etc for Johnson and Evinrude are made and machined. They have been shut down for weeks now but are still purchasing $$$$ machines so I imagine they aren't getting out of the business. The Evinrude and Johnson stuff is identical though so it's kind of pointless like gm and Chevy. Hopefully they don't go anywhere because Mercury builds dogshit engines.

Conspiracy theory: Re-brand and launch model lineup of 4-stroke engines.

Mercury builds dogshit engines.

But you could sure tell back in the 70's when a tall & skinny mercury "tower of power" was first out on the water in the morning. Nothing else had such a distinctive sound.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I’ve got an ETEC hanging on my boat. I hope they honor all of their warranty obligations.

I would have repowered with another ETEC if that time came. But, now it would probably be Suzuki or Yamaha

Back