Engine Machine Shops in Western North Carolina

James Messer in Sylva is the man. Period. Best machinist in the area by far. He builds my dad's bench rest rifles, builds race engines, etc...

there is a new shop in canton behind the community kitchen. haven't been there put just another name to put in the hat. I'll get you some more details tomorrow.

I went by the carquest in Arden today. They aren't doing a ny block work and their machine to check rods was broken. Sounded like they were mainly turning brake rotors and doing valve/head work. They also said the Napa machine shop downtown had closed. From what I've been told there is only one guy in WNC doing cranks and its Earl Clark 777-8139 in Leicester. Supposedly the Asheville machine shops were farming the work out to him anyway. I'm looking for a shop to deck my block, install cam bearings, and freeze plugs...will let you know if I find one.

Edit: I called Barnes & Reese Racing engines on Amboy Rd. They said they could perform the work I'm looking for.

Last edited:
I talked to Earl up in Leicester last week, he said he does most of the cranks in the area whether people realized it or not. He seems to know whats up and seemed to be a reasonable price too, he quoted right at $400 bucks for head, block and crank ready to rock out.. He did say it would take him a couple of weeks to get to it also..

did you talk to barnes and reese about their lead time? from what i've heard about them the race customers get top priority and the normal joe off the street gets done whenever..but top notch work...

The guy on the phone for B&R gave me the typical 2-3 week lead time. What work is Earl doing to your block. I didn't realize he did anything more than cranks. Might just call him back up for the rest of it.

I know this is an old thread, but considering the nature of the topic, I thought I'd chime in. My partner and I have recently opened up a new automotive machine shop, Mountain Machine & Performance in the South Asheville area. Between us we have over 40 years experience in automotive machining and engine rebuilding, and we are tooled up to handle almost any kind of work desired. Call Mark or Tom at (828)230-8700, or check us out at mountainmachine28803.com.

Harringtons machine shop Taylorsville nc

Back