Engine braking for traction - possible w/ EVs?

Heck, my 48 volt lithium golf cart brakes when you get off the throttle. I have a steep driveway. It’ll crawl down it if it’s in drive and off the gas.

Yesterday I was driving home on icy roads in our 2wd Mini.
There were several times I needed to slow down quickly to prepare for an upcoming downhill turn. A couple times I used the brakes and slid, but every time I downshifted I did not. I'm not talking about a hard slam to stop the car, I mean enough that engine compression slows down faster than feathering brakes while keeping steering in place.
Thats what got me thinking about this.

ABS works, but the reason its implimented is bc people already hit the brakes to stop and it makes a bad situation less bad.

Sidebar - this car also has some kind of "feature" that prevents wheel spin by refusing to allow the RPMs to go up when it detects slippage. While I guess it does help get you going in some circumstances its infuriating when you know you just need to gun it, deal with the slip and keep or get going.
Yes, but with electric motors, the braking torque increases as rpm decreases, opposite of a combustion engine. Also combustion engines have gears, and an idle point that is not equal to zero. Both work, just in different ways. So know how to run whatcha brung.

Sidebar - this car also has some kind of "feature" that prevents wheel spin by refusing to allow the RPMs to go up when it detects slippage. While I guess it does help get you going in some circumstances its infuriating when you know you just need to gun it, deal with the slip and keep or get going.
I had a Civic Si that had over aggressive traction control. I'd turn it off every time I started the car.

In deep snow you typically turn the traction control off so you can actually drive, control the car, and or get it unstuck. Deep snow being 8+", not NC "one flake fell out of the sky, and now the schools are closed and my truck is rolled over in the front yard on fire after I backed it up 5ft and lost control" snow.

Back