Ebay Badass

Well, you actually CAN throw a BBC in most any roadster chassis and run those timess all day long, and not have to work on it after every race. How much does that car weigh...2500lbs, maybe?
The BBC in my drag truck came out of a roadster that weighed a bit over 2k lbs, and it ran 5.20's in the 1/8 mile, which works out to very low 8's in the 1/4, and it's only a 427. My truck is quite heavy, so it only runs high 6's in there...of course, it's cammed for the lighter car and I did essentially zero tuning to get it faster.

You could easily buy one of the bigger inch "crate motors", say a 540 or so, slap it in most any Camaro race chassis and run right with that rice burner, MUCH more reliably, and a lot cheaper. Sorry, but it just doesn't take the horsepower that Supra has to run low 8's with an American V-8..

NO mistake here. That car has a full interior, down to the stock subwoofer in the stereo. look again. That's a heavy mofo, 3500+lbs.

No "Camaro race chassis".. full body, full interior, no tubs.

That car is most likely pushing 4K pounds. My 87 Supra weighs in at 3,8XX or so. They are not light cars, and are one of, if not the best platforms to build on. Can your BBC take 800+RWHP off the show room floor every day? Can it take over 1K with just basic bottom end work?

NO mistake here. That car has a full interior, down to the stock subwoofer in the stereo. look again. That's a heavy mofo, 3500+lbs.

No "Camaro race chassis".. full body, full interior, no tubs.
Seriously doubt that car is over 3500lbs. Probably right at it, though.

That car is most likely pushing 4K pounds. My 87 Supra weighs in at 3,8XX or so. They are not light cars, and are one of, if not the best platforms to build on. Can your BBC take 800+RWHP off the show room floor every day? Can it take over 1K with just basic bottom end work?

Yes, easily. And it'll sit there and take it and take it a lot longer than that little engine will. And FYI, that car has MUCH more than "basic bottom end work".

I'm not ragging the Supra. It's not my thing at all, but as I mentioned before, I do appreciate the technology and expertise it took to make it that fast. And I'll believe that Supra is over 3500lbs when I see it on the scale myself. A simple power/speed calculator will tell you that with the HP he claims, and the top MPH he's run, the car is right around 3000lbs.

However, all I'm saying is, for that much money, you can take and old Camaro or Chevelle and have it just as fast, more streetable, and more reliable. For roughly 10-12k, you can buy a big-inch, reliable BBC that has 1000+hp normally aspirated. And it can take some bottle, too, if you think it needs it. Buy you a nice rolling street-legal chassis for about 20k, and you'll spank that Supra and do it all season while the Supra needs a rebuild several times.
But to each his own.
Don't get all butt-hurt just because someone else doesn't like what you like. Yes, the car is really fast, but that doesn't mean everyone likes it, or even thinks it's the best choice for a race car.

I know your point. Everyone has favorites. But it's stupid to diss one because it isn't your preference. And I just felt like clarifying facts.
I didn't "diss" the Supra. Try reading my posts again.
I DID provide reasons why I and others might not care for the Supra, but I never "dissed" it...in fact, I said a couple of times that I could appreciate the work and skill it took to make it that fast.

Buy you a nice rolling street-legal chassis for about 20k, and you'll spank that Supra and do it all season while the Supra needs a rebuild several times.
But to each his own.

Don't get all butt-hurt just because someone else doesn't like what you like. Yes, the car is really fast, but that doesn't mean everyone likes it, or even thinks it's the best choice for a race car.

Really?

As the owner of a built and boosted MKIV Supra I've yet to see ANYONE with ANY type of money step up and give the MKIV a run for it's money @ the Texas Supra meet. And Lingenfelter, Henessey, and all the big boys are out there with BIG money and BIG american muscle. These poor, old, " Jap " cars are running with and at times BESTING the larger displacement " superior " American muscle.

Saying that this Supra would need a rebuild several times is just plain ignorant.

And if you'd pay attention to trap speeds, it's more of a traction/launching issue. There are plenty of 600rwhp Supra's clicking off high-9's all day long.

I'm old school muscle car all day long. First car was a 57' SBC, then a 68' Mustang with a 289. Had a 94' Thunderbird, '93 Cobra, and a 95' GT. LOVE the sound of American muscle.

But the Supra is an ALL-AROUND car. I can take mine and click off some nice high 10 sec runs on street tires then head out to VIR and run laps around the guys in the Viper club.

Can you do that with an all-out American Muscle car? No. And if you could, you'd easily eclipse your reported budget.

Show respect where it's needed, and know what you're talking about before you talk.

FWIW, the STOCK 2JZ GTE (Supra powerplant) record is OVER 900rwhp. And that was on a motor with OVER 100k. Do that with ANY American made block. Only the Viper comes close... and I said CLOSE.

Really?

As the owner of a built and boosted MKIV Supra I've yet to see ANYONE with ANY type of money step up and give the MKIV a run for it's money @ the Texas Supra meet. And Lingenfelter, Henessey, and all the big boys are out there with BIG money and BIG american muscle. These poor, old, " Jap " cars are running with and at times BESTING the larger displacement " superior " American muscle.

Saying that this Supra would need a rebuild several times is just plain ignorant.

And if you'd pay attention to trap speeds, it's more of a traction/launching issue. There are plenty of 600rwhp Supra's clicking off high-9's all day long.

I'm old school muscle car all day long. First car was a 57' SBC, then a 68' Mustang with a 289. Had a 94' Thunderbird, '93 Cobra, and a 95' GT. LOVE the sound of American muscle.

But the Supra is an ALL-AROUND car. I can take mine and click off some nice high 10 sec runs on street tires then head out to VIR and run laps around the guys in the Viper club.

Can you do that with an all-out American Muscle car? No. And if you could, you'd easily eclipse your reported budget.

Show respect where it's needed, and know what you're talking about before you talk.

FWIW, the STOCK 2JZ GTE (Supra powerplant) record is OVER 900rwhp. And that was on a motor with OVER 100k. Do that with ANY American made block. Only the Viper comes close... and I said CLOSE.
All good points, and all missing the point. But to get off the original subject AGAIN, since a couple of folks can't seem to grasp the larger picture, THE SUPRA IN THE EBAY AD is NOT an "all around" car, as you claim yours is. It is a straight-up drag car. We're talking drag racing only. I don't give a great big crap about road racing. Glad you do, more power to you. But that wasn't the topic, neither was what car is the best "all around" car. That is totally subjective, anyway. BUT, the car in the Ebay is a DRAG CAR, so we were talking DRAG RACING.

If "all around" is so important to you, I can show you plenty of Mustangs and Vettes with ridiculous amounts of power that will do everything your Supra will do. There's nothing magical about a Supra that makes it defy the laws mechanical engineering and physics. You can build HP out of any engine, and you can make most any sporty car handle.
You like Supras. Great. But can you do anything with it that you can't with an American car? No.

Oh, and hello...it's called the Texas Supra Meet for a reason...IT"S MOSTLY SUPRAS. You don't really think there's a great representation of other makes at a Supra Meet, do you? But sorry, a quick Google search found a Viper won the HP contest a couple of years ago...guess you missed that one.
And there were only 29 cars in that contest...mostly Supras.

Look, I never was putting down the Supra, and I've stated that several times. To each his own. You like Supras, fine with me. I like American muscle.
But don't sit there and tell me the Supra is the only car you can build to run the drags and road courses and excel in both...that's a bunch of BS, and you'll get called on that every time.

All good points, and all missing the point. But to get off the original subject AGAIN, since a couple of folks can't seem to grasp the larger picture, THE SUPRA IN THE EBAY AD is NOT an "all around" car, as you claim yours is. It is a straight-up drag car. We're talking drag racing only. I don't give a great big crap about road racing. Glad you do, more power to you. But that wasn't the topic, neither was what car is the best "all around" car. That is totally subjective, anyway. BUT, the car in the Ebay is a DRAG CAR, so we were talking DRAG RACING.

If "all around" is so important to you, I can show you plenty of Mustangs and Vettes with ridiculous amounts of power that will do everything your Supra will do. There's nothing magical about a Supra that makes it defy the laws mechanical engineering and physics. You can build HP out of any engine, and you can make most any sporty car handle.
You like Supras. Great. But can you do anything with it that you can't with an American car? No.

Oh, and hello...it's called the Texas Supra Meet for a reason...IT"S MOSTLY SUPRAS. You don't really think there's a great representation of other makes at a Supra Meet, do you? But sorry, a quick Google search found a Viper won the HP contest a couple of years ago...guess you missed that one.
And there were only 29 cars in that contest...mostly Supras.

Look, I never was putting down the Supra, and I've stated that several times. To each his own. You like Supras, fine with me. I like American muscle.
But don't sit there and tell me the Supra is the only car you can build to run the drags and road courses and excel in both...that's a bunch of BS, and you'll get called on that every time.

You know very little about the world of cars if you don't think that the Texas Supra meet doesn't attract some BIG HORSEPOWER cars from all makes. It DOES. Google search?No need. I was there. I didn't say that Supra's always win, just that they run right with your big hp domestics. There were more than a few twin-turbo Viper's, Camaro's, and 03-04 Terminator's representing as well.

And I never said that the Supra was THE BEST, only that at the end of the day, it IS an all-around car, and GREAT bang-for-the-buck. I'm sure you can show me plenty of cars with lots of HP that will do what a Supra will. BUT, I can almost guarantee that dollar for dollar, the Supra will beat out the Mustang's and Camaro's.

3 words: your mom

Back