Eaton Rear end

upnover

Grumpy, decrepit Old Man
I found one of these but know nothing about them. Any info would be helpful. Looking for info such as gear choices, locker availibility, Axle size/strength and so on.Thanks in advance
Chip

eaton

Gears are no longer available for them. They came with 4.10's, 4.56's and 5.13's and some had a detroit locker. Bearings and seals are still available but can be expensive.....most people just find another axle for parts. 14 bolt shafts fit it if you use a 14 bolt detroit or 14 bolt spider gears welded. Also 14 bolt disk brake brackets are suppost to fit with different spacers. They can also be shaved a lot and can be welded easiers than a cast center section. Also most people take the rear cover off and weld a formed cover on it or use a 12" steel sewer cap. The shafts are 16 spline but are strong. I just did a lot of searching on pirate beacuse i just bought one. Let me know if you find anything else out.

eatons were rearend of choice by locals on lower 2.

if you dont want it, ill take it. im looking for one with 5.13s.

They suck, I'll take it off your hands for ya.. :D

rockcity said:
ask Brandon (bigassedredjeep), I think hes running one in his CJ

yep and loving it. all the benefits of a 14 bolt minus the trench. :smokin: i've got all the 14 bolt stuff in mine, detroit, shafts, BTF bolt on caliper brackets(the spacers have to be cut down), 1/2 ton calipers/rotors, spring perches, and u-bolts/plates. they have a 1350 (u-bolt style) yoke.

good on ya for finding one. (they were scarse before, and i haven't stumbled across one since people started taking notice :mad: ) pretty sure that the stock shafts are 11 spline not 16. here's most of the threads from pirate:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301240&highlight=eaton+axle

here's a couple of pics of mine:
http://www.nckrawlers.com/forums/album_personal.php?user_id=32

2KFLEXJ said:
These came in the 3/4 and 1 ton fullsize chevy's from 67-72? Cause I think if thats the case I've got 4 of them?

anyone of those have 5.13s in them? Im in the market.

Are the 67-72 Chevy's and GMC 3/4 and 1ton trucks where these rears came in? I might hafta check and see what ratio's are in them.

I'd be happy with a 4.56 one.. ;) Preferrably open diff.

Replacing your 14 bolt with an Eaton won't fix that no-driving problem. :flipoff2:

So???? You are saying the 14 bolt gears will bolt right in? No machining?
When you cut the bottom, do you have to turn the ring gear also?

upnover said:
So???? You are saying the 14 bolt gears will bolt right in? No machining?
When you cut the bottom, do you have to turn the ring gear also?

to clarify: the sidegears (or detroit) will swap in (drop right in)to allow the use of the 14 bolt shafts, but not the R&P. (not sure if that was needed, but figured it wouldn't hurt ;) )...and depending on how much you shave it, will determine if you turn down the ring gear. i only shaved the housing up to the ring gear, didn't feel like messing with that.

Back