E350 Master Cylinder Install In YJ!

I dunno. I'm running the same M/C in my truck. 1-ton Ford, 1-1/8" bore. With dual-piston fronts (same calipers that came matched with the M/C from the factory) and single-piston Chevy rears, I have too much rear brake. It's not terrible, but the rears will lock long before the fronts. I think any of the matched m/cs would be that much worse.

I have yet to mess around with putting a proportioning valve on the rear. It's been set up that way for a couple of years, and it hasn't been a huge issue... but it's not quite perfect, either. And now that I think about it for a minute or two... it's better than when it was the "true" factory setup, with drums in the back.

I have the marquis master on my jeep with 1/2 ton chevy calipers all the way around (disk/disk) and left the stock proportioning valve alone, I lock up the rears before the fronts in a hard/panic situation. If I was to gut the proportioning valve it would only make it worse, I am gonna get an adjustable valve from summit and fine tune it more eventually, Another thing I did that helped out tremendously when I switch master cylinders was adjust the length of the rod that went into the back of the master untill I got a good pedal feel and height. Just be carefull when adjusting the rod and only do it a very little bit at a time untill you get it right, If you over adjust it, the brakes will hang and drag on you.

Digging this post up from the grave. I have been testing my Ranger/Bronco cab truck out over the past week or so, and the brakes are functional but not impressive. D60HP in the front with the large dual piston calipers, and chevy 14 bolt with standard 3/4 ton disc swap in the rear. Stock Ranger MC right now. My concern is the feel of the pedal and amount of travel I have. I am thinking about trying the 78 Marquis MC for 4 wheel discs. Somebody mentioned hydroboost earlier in this thread. What is the deal with hydroboost? Do I want the one for hydroboost? Isn't hydroboost where the power steering pump runs a line the brake booster for pressure, or am I confused? The Ranger has a standard vacuum brake booster.

Thanks,
DK

Spraypaint man, you running a 1/2 ton 44? and you get the brakes figured out? I have the answer if any of the half ton ford guys wanna use the E350 and can't get good stopping power.

Yep, mines all figured out. I'm running a 9" dual diaphram vacuum booster from a S10 with a shortened rod and a MC from a 90 grand wagoneer. Great stopping power with disk brakes on all four corners and stock proportioning valve.

Back