E350 Master Cylinder Install In YJ!

J.C.

Volunteer
E350 Master Cylinder Installed In YJ!

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239758&highlight=yj+master+cylinder

After putting the F250 axles in my CYJ with stock YJ brake system I had a very soft and spongy brake pedal. I have dual piston calipers in front and drums in rear. Found a Pirate thread which addressed this issue and the mod resulted in GREAT brakes! The link is to the Pirate thread with the tech for this swap. Good for stock YJ brake systems with 3/4 ton axles swapped in with front discs and rear drums. Smooth easy install took about 45 min, went just as advertised. AutoZone, Master Cylinder for 86 E350 part # M2008 - $17.99 + $10.00 core. 2 brake line adapter fittings needed , 1/4"m x 5/16"f for the rear line, 3/16"m x 1/4"f for the front line, $3 each at NAPA. Brake pedal feel and stopping power increased dramatically with this swap. Highly recommended mod!

thats awsome, we need more pp like you to just give out information like that and let us know what works and what doesn't

i need to do one on mine but i have disks in the rear so i am going to get corvette master probly.

tyler

mercury marquis 4 wheel disk brake master is what i used on my yj, simple bolt in install, worked awesome. just another option....

What year mercury marquis did it come off of?

pheery said:
mercury marquis 4 wheel disk brake master is what i used on my yj, simple bolt in install, worked awesome. just another option....

x2, thats what i ended up going with, 78 mercury marquis with hydroboost and 4 wheel disk (there is also a disk/dum master offered)

yup what Lee said, 78' marquis, actually swaped mine on tonight. Had an E350, fronts were great, but it wasnt' pushing enough fluid volume to my large GM rear calipers.

yager said:
yup what Lee said, 78' marquis, actually swaped mine on tonight. Had an E350, fronts were great, but it wasnt' pushing enough fluid volume to my large GM rear calipers.

Yep, as stated in the original post, the '88 E350 MC is best on front discs and rear drums. The Marquis and Corvette MCs seem to have been the touts for disc/disc setups.

88 E350 master cylinders and 86 E350 master cylinders are not the same.

They are the same as the F250 and F350 master cylinders of the same MY, FWIW. That's why they work with big calipers -- they're the same calipers they were matched with from the OEM.

saf-t scissors said:
88 E350 master cylinders and 86 E350 master cylinders are not the same.

They are the same as the F250 and F350 master cylinders of the same MY, FWIW. That's why they work with big calipers -- they're the same calipers they were matched with from the OEM.

Good catch, my bad :) I mistyped the year. As in the original post, should be a MC for an 86 E350. Hope that didn't mess anyone up.

So right now I'm in the middle of upgrading my CJ brakes to YJ....bought the booster today and was going to get the MC but it was rotten looking as hell. Was just going to order a reman from Advance Auto for $69

This supposedly makes the CJ stop a hellova lot better. Would the E350 MC be too daggone much for a CJ with 33's? Should I stick to the YJ MC?

DOH...yep...kept reading on Pirate and it seems it wouldn't benefit me unless I had waggy brakes or bigger.

CYJ...still got that stock MC? I need one

so, CYJKrawler, you have a D46 front? care to explain that or is it just so new no one knows about it

tyler

jeepeater2003 said:
so, CYJKrawler, you have a D46 front? care to explain that or is it just so new no one knows about it

tyler

It's a new thing :) No actually, to be able to run the 7.17 gears which I wanted, I needed to run a 60 housing, but front 60s are SO expensive and the driver drop 60s are about all high pinion which olny go to 5.38 gears, I wanted a driver drop low pinion so...I cut the tubes and outers off of a F250 D44 housing and sleeved them into a D60 rear housing. Not really a 60 but also not really a 44. I thought calling it a 64 was a bit much so I went with D46 :) Kinda booty fab but for a couple of hundred bucks it works :)

So would the grand marquis or corvette master cylinder work for me? I have the stock Dana 30 front and a Ford 8.8 with discs on the back of my YJ on 33's. Ever since I put that rearend in there, braking has been terrible, and I have bled the brakes like crazy.

I would think your issue may be porportioning valve instead of MC. I gutted mine and now have brakes for and aft.

thanks Chip, what is involved in gutting a proportioning valve? got any pics? I looked for a proportioning valve at the junkyard with a vehicle that had 4 wheel discs, but everything had the ABS junk on it.

Matthew Isenhour

My stock MC on my CJ is not doing so good with my dana 44 axles & 4 wheel disks. Do I need to get the 78' marquis MC and get rid of my PV?

I say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But, Noah, have you had yours on the trail yet???
The issue with the proportioning valve is that it had more fluid going to the front than it did to the rear. The old drum brakes had smallish wheel cylinders and the new disk has bigger ones of course. So by the time you hit the brakes and the front brakes were locking, the rear was hardly engaging at all. So I gutted my PV and it sent the same amount of fluid and pressure to the front and rear. Some folks I know done away with the PV all together and just used a T. Doing this though without a check valve, which is in a stock PV makes the MC no longer a double unit for front and back. All fluid mixes, if that makes since. In other words you won't have rear brake trouble and open the MC and find the front half of the MC empty.
Hope this helps

I drove my jeep for the first time in two years last week and the brakes were horrible. They hardly stopped the jeep at all & the pedal went to the floor. Bled the brakes 4 times...CYJ has a YJ MC that I can try out and I also have a waggy MC but it really doesn't fit...too big and it hits the grill support rod...tried to install it last night.

Bleeding can be different when you have disks and lift and different angles. I have a good friend who has come up with a pretty good idea. He takes the caliper off, and puts a 2X4 in between the brake pads, and bleeds it while in his hand, working any air to the top where the bleeder is. Worked great, he has brakes for the first time in a long time.

I have another friend who made a contraption that he places a hose over the bleeder. the other end is connected to a reservoir. The reservoir is Hung higher than the brake assembly He can bleed then by himself. HE opens the bleeder valve, and slowly compresses the pedal. Bubbles come out, and rise into the reservoir, and when it sucks back in it draws back only fluid.

Between the two you should be able to get rid of the spongy feeling in your brakes.

Thanks Chip, maybe that's the problem. Which MC are you running on yours? The stock one?

Yes, I am still running the stock CJ-7 one. I had bought a E350 one, but my lines were on the wrong side, so I was gonna have to make new lines and so on, so I stayed with what was working. Also, I am manual, no power on mine.

So if you run disc/drum then get the e350 MC. But if you run disc/disc get a marquios(sp?) MC. And then gut the proportional valve to send equal fluid to front and rear which will make both disc/disc, disc/drum set up receive the same amount of braking force?

Back