dual case noise just started

climberdan

i have an 85 toyota with dual cases, no twin sticks. i had been driving it around no problem here and there after installing them for around 1000 miles. i parked it for a bit and a lot of the gear oil had leaked out and one day on the highway i started hearing a whirring noise coming from one of the transfer cases. it got louder the faster i went and as i slowed down it would get quieter. i drained both cases (the front drain plug had some new looking metal shavings on it), fixed my seals and refilled both transfer cases with new gear oil and drove it around the block but it still made the noise. any ideas what may be going on in there?

2.28 gears in both? I've seen where re-clearancing had to be done for 4.7 gear sets. Best bet is to pull the pne that had shavings in it apart and take a look.

not sure on the gearing...both tcases were just factory topshifts...one was an 85 and the other was a type 1

Last edited:
Check the dust covers on the yokes. I had one come lose and it made a crazy noise. Took forever to figure it out.

Back