Donation Of Vehicle For FS To Patrol Uwharrie OHV Trails

Looks like a good exchange of information! Thanks, JC!

Thanks for nailing this down a little bit, John.

If they get a vehicle via gov. surplus, but does that make it a 'fleet' vehicle that they could not modify? That's not clear, and may still require a vehicle sourced from a third party.

Either way, I'm in.

I'd contribute.I think whatever we can do to help the FS has got to help us as well.

My view of that, just makes the M1008 the perfect vehicle, wouldn't need any actual modification to be a decent trail rig for URE, though seems to me the FS personal do not like getting involved with the people?

He said his people do not like riding along, and they don't like riding the ATV's, what do they enjoy doing, seems like they could easily be replaced with just about anyone off this forum who would be more involved, and more willing to work with everyone in a better way. Just saying. Maybe trim a little fat off the crew, and hire someone who wants to be involved.

Beyond that, Great questions JC, and thanks for stepping up and getting to the bottom of this.

He said his people do not like riding along, and they don't like riding the ATV's, what do they enjoy doing, seems like they could easily be replaced with just about anyone off this forum who would be more involved, and more willing to work with everyone in a better way. Just saying. Maybe trim a little fat off the crew, and hire someone who wants to be involved.

x2

My view of that, just makes the M1008 the perfect vehicle, wouldn't need any actual modification to be a decent trail rig for URE, though seems to me the FS personal do not like getting involved with the people?

Beyond that, Great questions JC, and thanks for stepping up and getting to the bottom of this.

I can see the logic of not wanting to ride along with different folks on the trails. Some folks are not comfortable riding in a vehicle with people they do not know personally. It puts them at risk of safety. What would happen if you rolled it and he is on duty in a POV (privately owned vehicle). As for riding a four wheeler, it is not the most comfortable thing for an 8 hour day. Add to that the safety gear required (which is more than the average rider). For instance minimum law says a helmet is the minimum. A good example is the military, when you ride an ATV on duty you are required to wear Helmet, Goggles (or face sheild), gloves, boots, and cover every inch of your body. This gets very hot on a warm day let alone a hot summer day. Add inclimate weather and a day on an ATV sucks. A vehicle with heat, A/C, and a roof could keep the officer safer and more comfortable. Not saying they need an escalade but comfort should be addressed. Also with an ATV they are limited on what they can carry, for example water, basic medical supplies, the minimum items they need to carry for their job, and they need some place to put the items they confiscate (and maybe even any trash they police up while on the trail). Finally noone likes to ride alone for safety reasons and the company. A couple FS guys might get some strange looks piggy-backing each other on an ATV LOL. Just my thoughts.

My point is, even if they were given a vehicle, they probably wouldn't use it. Or if they did use it, it would be on a rare occasion.

They have an ATV and a UTV already, and they do not often use them. I am not talking about riding along with some Joe Schmo random, I am talking about riding with wheelers who have come around for years. These long time wheelers have already stated they are willing to have ride alongs to help and most of them know the FS personnel.

Nobody expects them to ride around on the 4 wheeler all day, but if there was a system where we could report things over CB and have the FS guy/gal on the 4 wheeler come out, would make things alot easier. Wouldn't hurt for a FS person on the ATV to do a run around the trails every few hours, would make a HUGE difference. From what Ive heard/seen so far, the FS is asking for alot, but not willing to put it to use. I am all for helping them get what they need, to patrol, but whats the point in doing this if they are not willing to do it?

Like what was said earlier, the DRMO or state surpluss office should be the first stop. Multiple times have I had winning bids on CUCVS, XJs, etc. and had it dismissed due to another govt agency claiming it for their use.

Go here: http://www.drms.dla.mil/

I'd post the actual page Debra would need to go to but my work security software won't let me view sub-pages. Its super easy to buy from a DRMO, should be really easy for them to acquire.

I'd be more than happy to help/donate for some modification to an acquired vehicle. They do have XJs there, mostly used for MP patrol. The CUCV K5 would work well too and is pretty capable as is.

Ok guys..... At the work day today Debra was asked about a vechile. She said that due to red tape thatone needed to be donated that was already modified. The surplus is a good idea but it would have to remain stock. The forredt service would keep up whatever vechile that is donated, but would need the mods to be already done is what I took it as.

She said they need this to help patrol and keep everyone in check on the trails, that they had one side by side and a 4 wheeler, but that they both where very hard in her guys physically.

So I will donate a shop to work in and a tune up(ie plugs, wires, oil filter, air filter, oil, diff oil, and top off the washer fluid) The shop has a welder and a lift so we can weld the diffs and do a budget lift there also.

Back