Dome light Fix?

chasespop

I've got a 99 suburban. The dome lights will not turn off, or will cycle on and off randomly. The dome override works and I have been using it to keep the battery up. When the lights come on and off the relay can be heard working.

Any suggestions?

Door switches?

Which body style ? the current (GMT800), or the older?

if the newer, would probably be an issue with the BCM (Body Control Module) though a door switch is a possibility (in the door latches, not the door sill)

any issue with doors closing/opening/locking ? tail gate operation? Remotes working properly ?

That you can hear the relay working tells me it is in the BCM, something is triggering the circut. If it were the relay itself, you wouldn't hear it and they would be on all the time, but it may be worth swapping relays around see if the problem moves with the relay

look in the Owners Manual, find the relay for Domelight and pull it, at least this will help keep the battery from discharge untill the issue is resolved. ( fuse and relay labels should also be on the lids to the power centers under the hood and under dash)

I'll see if I can dig up more info

Kevin

Thanks guys. I looked over all the pin switches and the dome overide switch. The rear gate had a pine switch that was stuck in position. I removed it and relubricated everything and cleaned some corrosion off the strike plates. Everything seems to work normal now.

Ok, I thought everything was working fine but no luck now. I have cleaned all the pin switches and they work ONLY while the vehicle is running. I have changed out the headlight switch panel with another and still no change in problems. BTW 99 suburban LT

Here's run down of what happens.
Open the door the lights come on. Insert key with door closed lights go out. Turn off vehicle and open door lights stay on.

Pin switch to drivers door can be depressed while the motor is running and the lights come on and off as the switch is depressed.
After the vehicle is shut off the switch appears to be inoperable.

The only way to kill lights is to push the dome override and turn ignition on to engage override. If the vehicle is not running or in on position the override will not work.
The lights remain off after the switch is off and key removed.

Keyless entry
lights come on after lock or unlock is depressed. Lights appear to go out after the vehicle locks. The light then randomly cycles on and off.

Thanks for any help.

Sounds like to me a computer problem. Something might be waking it up. Not sure if Chebies do it but BMW's actually go to sleep so that all the computers aren't always on and killing that battery. BMW's go to sleep in stages. Hook up a volt meter on amps in series with the negative battery terminal and watch to see if there are any power spikes just before the lights come on. (You'll need a digital meter with a record function unless you want to stand there and wait for it to do it.)

Man, I am sorry, I had forgotten about this.

Go to www.dieselplace.com. register and go to Ask the Techs forum,

I know this has been an issue before, and I do believe it is probably a BCM issue. whether it is a programing issue or a hardware issue is yet to be determined. I don't have the dealership connections I use to have, (I'd actually have to go to dealership and look it up myself, and thats a time issue for me)

Talk the guys on dieselplace up, they are pretty helpful.

Kevin

Thanks, if its a BCM issue, what am I looking at to have the unit reprogrammed(shop time)? 1 hour, 1/2 hour?

Back