Dog anxiety in the car, (German Shepherds)...benadryl??

marty79

has anyone had real world experience with getting their overly exited/anxious dog to chill the heck out in the car lol. Our German Shepherd is an awesome girl, very obedient except in the freaking car and she's driving me nuts...almost 6 yrs old and it's never gotten any better.
Bought some Benadryl, been told it calms them down, but was looking for suggestions on dosage, usage, results from anyone whose had success with this. She almost ruins a lot of trips we take, especially if wifey is doing pretty good with anxiety levels then she starts with her whining crap, now it's a bad trip for everyone.
I'm open to all suggestions on this topic...thank you

Going out in the morning and I really need to do something. It appears about 75mg of Benadryl for her size (92lb)??? any information would be great

ah and she does not and has not ever thrown up or any of those other symptoms since day one, she just gets sooo exited that she whines the whole time and drives us NUTS
Even the dog is worried about the cage, needs more triangles. :D
bruh :lol::lol: ok that was funny.
I'm looking into those now but not getting that good a review on GSD breeds with really hyper anxiety so so far it appears medicinal options might be my best trial

A thunder jacket really helps our one dog that's really nuts during thunderstorms and fireworks. Otherwise, benadryl will be fine to try.

We tried a couple different types of CBD and it didn't help her. Ymmv

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

CBD for animals
i heard about this but I heard CBD oil period would work?? No? it needs to be for dogs? I have regular CBD oil too but not dog specific

nuts during thunderstorms and fireworks.
see nothing bothers our GSD, she's been around my shops all her life and loud air tools or anything doesn't bother but dam in the car, she's like a little kid screaming "are we there yet" "are we there yet" funny but not funny

see nothing bothers our GSD, she's been around my shops all her life and loud air tools or anything doesn't bother but dam in the car, she's like a little kid screaming "are we there yet" "are we there yet" funny but not funny
Shop noise never bothered mine. I've never had a dog that traveled bad.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

How does she ride? Sitting in a seat? In a kennel/crate? Maybe try a crate and throw a blanket over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How does she ride? Sitting in a seat? In a kennel/crate? Maybe try a crate and throw a blanket over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
she's always been in the back of our Tahoes, not Suburban so she's got room. Even in a truck bed she still goes bonkers but can't hear it hardly lol. No Crate and don't care to buy one, I know crate ain't gonna help,..not her anyways lol.

A.) she needs HER space. Confined to an area and that’s it.
B.) determine best option of seeing out the car or not while in her area. Can be different for different dogs.
C.) thunder shirts are amazing
D.) cbd oil works wonders. Should be .5 cc per 25 lbs but use the interweb to establish proper dosage. Don’t use benedryl cause it will lessen its effectiveness in case you ever have to use it for actual allergies (yes it works for dogs).

edit: also may try using a blanket to cover the crate if you go that route.
And, if you haven’t crate trained her that’s your fault as ALL dogs should be familiar with them.

I'm thinking try a blanket and half the dosage I've read for Benadryl?!!? sounds like a good middle ground to start maybe...

Don’t use benedryl cause it will lessen its effectiveness in case you ever have to use it for actual allergies (yes it works for dogs).
she don't have any allergies, she's as healthy as can be, always has been so this would only be just when we go on trips with her and hoping it would only have to be used for month or so till she learns on her own to chill lol

Benedryl can be used in dogs for more than just allergies. Stings and bites is one example to help reduce swelling. Most GSD don’t have allergies. But wasting benedryl on them is dumb. Get a crate. Cover it with a big blanket. Giver her the CBD 15-20 minutes before the ride. Reduce the amount of CBD over time. Training is repetitive not every once in a while so if you don’t stick to a “routine” she won’t learn. Repeat regularly until she calms down. But honestly don’t be surprised if she doesn’t get to a point of getting in the car and just sitting there motionless. GSD are high strung by nature (why they are used for what they are).

Does your dog get appropriate exercise? 99% of dog "problems" are because they have pent up energy.
That breed needs a ton of exercise to stimulate their bodies and brain.
absolutely since I work at home, she is free all day pretty much except when I run errands and playing ball is like her thing lol. If I run her to death for like an hour, then she only whines for like few minutes and shuts up lol but I don't always have the time to do this especially when it's wet/muddy/etc.

doesn’t get to a point of getting in the car and just sitting there motionless. GSD are high strung by nature (why they are used for what they are).
your right, I'm well aware of this I'm just trying to get her to cope much better for the "most part" of the ride lol

Wait. Is it anxiety, from the ride, or just super excited and cant control herself?

For example, if you take her on a ride, then get by er out for awhile and nice and tired at the destination, then on the trip back is she wikd again or chilled out?

I would also get a seat belt buckle leash set up going. That way she be buckled in with a chest harness not a collar. Mite need a piece to cover the button Give her her own blanket plus a toy.

Where do most trips end up?
Some place unpleasant for puppers?
Vet? Groomer? Kennel?
Ours rode well as a pup, but developed anxiety after most trips ended up in places he didn't enjoy the outcome.
now he's fine until he recognizes landmark to we are going to places he don't like.
Take short quick trips to places he enjoys.
They are just like us in that aspect .... nobody likes going to the dr.!

Wait. Is it anxiety, from the ride, or just super excited and cant control herself?

For example, if you take her on a ride, then get by er out for awhile and nice and tired at the destination, then on the trip back is she wikd again or chilled out?
She's just overly excited weather we go to Dr or to play in the woods. But it's mostly all going wheeling and she loves being in nature lol.

Some place unpleasant for puppers?
Oh no it's very pleasant lol. On the way home she's still anxious, maybe a little not as much.

This is a typical fuller thread if anyone reads it.
Fuller; I am going to Benadryl my dog. Any other options?
Board: 10 better options
Fuller: Benadryl
Board: triangles, science, experience
Fuller: no I refuse to think how much benadryl

Back