Dodge Exo

Mountain Ram

Picked up a tubing bender and some tube a while back and started on an exo for my '94 Dodge.

The bed was trashed- I got less than $50 for the 560#s of steel at a recycler... the 140' of tube weighed less than that :driver:

First time bending tube, so be gentle with the flaming from all you pro-fabbers!! Bendtech is a good software package, but takes a little getting used to.

ai162.photobucket.com_albums_t244_Mountain_Ram_Picture007.jpg

ai162.photobucket.com_albums_t244_Mountain_Ram_Picture001.jpg

ai162.photobucket.com_albums_t244_Mountain_Ram_bedcage1.jpg

Some gussets... beer opener and The Pirate logo :flipoff2:

ai162.photobucket.com_albums_t244_Mountain_Ram_Picture124.jpg

ai162.photobucket.com_albums_t244_Mountain_Ram_Picture121.jpg

I mocked it up on the frame and welded up in the garage... If I had to do it again- I would have welded most of it on the frame. It ended up a little off, and I will have to do some more work to get the rest of the exo to fit the cab right

ai162.photobucket.com_albums_t244_Mountain_Ram_Picture128.jpg

With the cage off the truck- I was able to put it in a spraybooth at work and throw a quick coat of paint on it. Not a professional job, but cheap black is easy to touch up later!

ai162.photobucket.com_albums_t244_Mountain_Ram_DSCN0706.jpg

Shortened the rear frame to the spring hangers, cut up the rear bumper I made years ago and sunk the rear winch into the frame. I also am re-using the stock tank which had previously been thrown in the bed. I am looking at a fuel cell, but the costs are prohibitive at this point.

ai162.photobucket.com_albums_t244_Mountain_Ram_Picture129.jpg

I have plans to attend the Toys for Rocks on August 7th,, so I moved to the front of the truck to build some protection for the front end. As you can see- the truck does not fit in the garage!!

ai162.photobucket.com_albums_t244_Mountain_Ram_Picture137.jpg

Some additonal support and all welded to the frame. The multi plane bends were very difficult and coping the fits was near impossible... the welds suffered for it in some spots...

ai162.photobucket.com_albums_t244_Mountain_Ram_DSCN0738.jpg

ai162.photobucket.com_albums_t244_Mountain_Ram_DSCN0740.jpg

I like the looks. I will tie it into the cab exo when I pick up some more tube. I currently have about 120' on the truck, one 20' stick left and very minimal scrap. It's really not about looks, but functionality.

This evening I mounted my CO2 tank and cleaned up a few other small items. I need to find some sheetmetal to throw some skin to the bed sides and fenders... any suggestions on where to find some diamond plate or other usefull sheetmetal??

Todd

Jamie turned 40 about 2 weeks ago and his wife threw him a party/cookout- MH was there. Do you need something from him?

You planning on coming to the Toys for Rocks or headed to Mt City anytime soon? Haven't done any riding with you in a long time! BTW- How's kevin?

TD

No, just curious how he's doing since the economy tanked and he had to sell the chief. Was courious about you too, but I see from the post thing must be going OK.
My Jeep still in the shop, Job allows very little time to work on it or go riding. Would love to go riding again, I'll just have to see what time allows.
Kevins well, jeepless and since they bought a house it may be that way for a while.:(
See Ya,

No, just curious how he's doing since the economy tanked and he had to sell the chief. Was courious about you too, but I see from the post thing must be going OK.
My Jeep still in the shop, Job allows very little time to work on it or go riding. Would love to go riding again, I'll just have to see what time allows.
Kevins well, jeepless and since they bought a house it may be that way for a while.:(
See Ya,

MH is doing OK- he bought a Cherokee with a little lift and locked- thrashed it a bit then sold it. I believe his wife now has a Grand Cherokee, but she wont let him touch it. He is keeping his eyes peeled for a new project.

I had a baby about 4 months ago- Trenton William. Our first and I love being a dad, but it has slowed my hobbies until the last couple of weeks!! We have survived the economy well... I moved to another job- I am GM of a motor shop and machine shop in Bristol now... new challenges!!

Would love to wheel with you again- Let me know when you get back on the trails- maybe we'll come to where you go next!

Todd

Looks good, I like the way you mounted your panhard bar too.

Thanks- there was little other option. The front end is about 3" forward from stock- When I put the full hydro on, I thought I could put the track bar on the backside of the axle. I think it would still work, but I will need to rework some things. I am planning a front suspension rebuild in the future- I will go to coilovers and get the factory brackets off the axle. Until then, this somewhat shorter trackbar will have to do.

Ultimate Air CO2 mount. Not really trick- I used some scrap to make a strudy mount for the UA tank mount. Seems very solid...

ai162.photobucket.com_albums_t244_Mountain_Ram_Picture142.jpg

ai162.photobucket.com_albums_t244_Mountain_Ram_Picture143.jpg

ai162.photobucket.com_albums_t244_Mountain_Ram_Picture146.jpg

ai162.photobucket.com_albums_t244_Mountain_Ram_Picture148.jpg

I like this truck a lot. I love full size wheelers, do u have a build thread would love to do something like your truck one day

No build thread- sorry. I have had this truck since new- I worked for Superlift and we built this to advertise the new lift. It started life as a show truck of sorts. Back then we wheeled company vehickes...

Specs-
1994 Dodge Ram 1500
318 V8 w/JBA headers, stock Auto trans
Dual transfercases- NP231 front half mated to NP241HD
Front axle- '95 Dodge Ram D60- 5.13 gears, EZ locker, 4x doctor diff guard
Rear Axle- '95 Dodge Ram D60- 35spline conversion, 5.13 gears, Spool, GLO cover
50" long radius arms- arms and mounts made by me
Superlift 5" front coils
Rear 5" Superlift leafs
PSC Full hydro steering
12k winch front, 8k rear
Custom bumpers, rocker skids & cage
12voltguy.com dual winch control and dual battery control
Dual optimas

Pretty sure they cam from Blue Torch Fab... there are a few variants like just a fist with finger too.

Finished adding sheetmetal for now. Added some tool storage- one small diamond plate box for tools & recovery gear and a 50 Cal ammo can for the air tools, hose and fittings. I need to work out a spare tire mount, but I have enough done for my Harlan trip in 2 weeks.

ai162.photobucket.com_albums_t244_Mountain_Ram_Picture173.jpg

ai162.photobucket.com_albums_t244_Mountain_Ram_Picture165.jpg

ai162.photobucket.com_albums_t244_Mountain_Ram_Picture167.jpg

ai162.photobucket.com_albums_t244_Mountain_Ram_Picture174.jpg

ai162.photobucket.com_albums_t244_Mountain_Ram_Picture175.jpg

Back