Do you think I should cut off my stinger?

vanguard

So I'm thinking about cutting off my stinger. It's purpose right now is to protect the hood when I roll upside down. However, I'll soon have a pair of shock hoops poking through the hood so they should be able to do that job. That means I'll be able to cut if off if I want to. I'd probably mount the winch in the same place (can't fit it on the axle) but sucked in toward the grill a little bit.

Pros: I'll cut about 40 lbs.

Cons: I kind of like the stinger and I'm not sure I'll like the look without out.

Here are a few pics to help with your decision. Should I cut it off or not?

SANY0057.JPG

SANY0079.JPG

i know people make fun of or think they are uncool, i like it though and i have a small one on my rig
i say keep it....looks good!

i would say keep it; it looks cool also on a down hill decent could possibly prove useful in saveing some of the body panels,engine,etc that your other tubeing fails to

I would suggest cutting off your weener instead. That way you would loose about half an ounce of weight and have a *slightly* better "approach angle":flipoff2:

As far as the stinger goes, i say loose it.

I say loose it............. Chicks dig big stingers and from the looks of it...... your isn't big enough to be a keeper. :)

No more bumper cars though...........

Keep it. There's no way it weighs 40lbs and it may save your ass/radiator someday. I can't imagine your shock hoops will be that tall.
Plus it's nice to have when nerfing your friends.

40 lbs? What is .500 wall?
I say make it bigger.
I still think it's about 40lbs. I could be wrong but it's a decent amount of tube. It's not just the stinger but the tubes going across it that mount to the front of the chassis.

As I think about it more, even if it does weigh 40 lbs I'll probably add 15 back to mount the winch properly. I'm still undecided. I'm trying to drop under 3,000 lbs. I'll take it to the scales after I'm done and see how close I am right now. It was 3,160 lbs when I bought it a 1.5 years ago. I've mode some mods to make it lighter and some that make it heavier so that should still be pretty close.

I agree there is no way that is 40lbs..

Question: why do you want it to be less then 3000lbs?

and if you want to loose wieght get aluminum rims, get rid of steel hood and panels and do fiberglass, cut weight that will not effect strenght and protection.

I agree there is no way that is 40lbs..
Question: why do you want it to be less then 3000lbs?
and if you want to loose wieght get aluminum rims, get rid of steel hood and panels and do fiberglass, cut weight that will not effect strenght and protection.
Light weight will reduce carnage and increase performance. (Of course you know that.)

I've given the hood a lot of thought. What I'd really like is a 48" lexan cruiser hood but I don't think anybody makes one. All I can find is a full width hood and that won't fit. It is a good idea though. I bet my hood is 40 lbs. :lol:

Regarding the steel panels, they are pretty light already. If I replace them it will probably be with aluminum because I just don't think a plastic can hold up to rubbing like metal.

Ummmm.......WTF! Why is there a picture of my EXwife on the internet!

And Rob.........How do you know her?

LOL! Just kidding! Close though!

stingers are :gay:

FYI, I weighed my hood and it's 33.6 lbs. A fulled sized lexan hood is 6 lbs, I assume a narrowed one is about 5 so I'd cut about 28 lbs if I could get one.

I'm still undecided on the stinger but I have my hands full right now so I don't have to decide today.

it looks pretty damn functional unlike most of the stingers i see on jeeps, buggies, etc....

for that reason alone i'd say keep it.

i'll have to agree with everyone else though... no stinger no more bumper cars.. it could help you avoid an end-over-end flop.. and chicks dig big stingers :)

but then again, it doesn't look like you could drive straight up a vertical wall with the singer in place... unless of course the pictures make it look like it will hit before the tires do...

Got a new sig!

Back