DMV taught me a New one!

rodney eppes

In July 2011, I renewed my Boat trailer tag, with the 2012 sticker. One week later, the engine locked up. Wasted that tag! Ready to go again, so I renewed the 07/12 sticker, on-line, expecting to receive a 2014 sticker. I was mailed a 2013 sticker, which will expire 08/15/13. WTF? So,i visited the DMV office, today, to get this corrected. Turns out, since I have already paid for the sticker, & they don't do refunds, they refuse to change it! If, Maybe, Perhaps, I had gone to DMV office, & told them the boat had not run in 22 months, they "May" have issued a 2014 sticker. So now I have paid $19 for a sticker, that is only good for 7 weeks!!!! The "not too pleasant" women asked if I wanted to pay for a 2014 sticker, & I "firmly" told her, "NO, I'll be transferring title to SC, whom has No trailer tags, & never pay again"! Somewhat of a bluff, but under consideration!
While my Jeep was down, tag expired, & I did go to their office,to ask what to do. Ended up with a 2014 sticker & about 8 months free! That's why I thought the boat being 11 months out, would roll over, too! Guess I screwed myself! Lesson learned=NEVER RENEW EXPIRED TAG, ON-LINE!:mad:

For your trailer, get a permanent tag...$75 and good as long as you own the trailer.

She did offer to credit my tag, to a permanent, but i was concerned about being able to transferring the permanent, if I switched or sold the boat trailer.
Things got more confused, but seems that you cannot transfer a permanent tag! She also couldn't tell me if boat trailers still run the "BT" on their tags, & car trailers, "TL"! My idea would be, buy permanent tag for my car trailer, & also, use it on the boat trailer. I seriously doubt I will keep either trailer, for more than 3-4 years, so with no definitive answer on transfers, I'm not going that route.

You can not transfer the multi year trailer tags. Also you cannot put a multi year on a camper/travel trailer, so you might not be able to do it on a boat trailer. But if you know you won't be keeping the trailer longer than a couple of years then a multi year tag isn't for you lol.

Duane

You can not transfer the multi year trailer tags. Also you cannot put a multi year on a camper/travel trailer, so you might not be able to do it on a boat trailer. But if you know you won't be keeping the trailer longer than a couple of years then a multi year tag isn't for you lol.

Duane

Thanks Duane! I have seen a perm. tag on a boar trailer, which I thought was weird! But seems they have opened up the choices.
Used to be Government Vehicles, & trailers, used with Tractor Trucks. Now, their showing up on 4x8 trailers!

We have the multi year trailer plates on all of our trailers, from our 4x8 to our 32ft gooseneck. I think there has been some confusion on "permanent" plates vs "multi year" plates. There is a "permanent apportioned" which is typically found on tractor trailers, but I don't know much about them. "Multi year" plates are permanent to the trailer they are assigned to as long as you own the trailer. Once the trailer is sold, the tag is supposed to be turned in.

Duane

We have the multi year trailer plates on all of our trailers, from our 4x8 to our 32ft gooseneck. I think there has been some confusion on "permanent" plates vs "multi year" plates. There is a "permanent apportioned" which is typically found on tractor trailers, but I don't know much about them. "Multi year" plates are permanent to the trailer they are assigned to as long as you own the trailer. Once the trailer is sold, the tag is supposed to be turned in.

Duane

Thanks Duane! My last employer had some of both, but I never asked or thought, what was the difference. Either way, seems only fair, if I purchased one, then later, wanted a new trailer, I could transfer that tag! I think the DMV, has realized a new money source! I believe majority of folks buying these tags, wont have the Same trailer past 4 years.

Well maybe we're not most, but I think my dad and I have only ever sold 1 trailer out of all the trailers we have ever owned lol. We currently have 7 trailers, and only one of them we have had less than 4 years. So for us it makes sense, but for others it doesn't. Just one more thing to consider when buying a trailer I guess.

Duane

Back