Dirt Don't Hurt (aka Blue Jeep)

Mike I am going to probably be in the Raleigh area a lot more after this last semester at school here. I don't mind giving you a hand if you're interested and this project is still going on then. :D

I guess i missed your plans in all the joking around. Are you gona link this thing or rock the leaves? What other treatments are you going to give it??

Cut tub in half 18" behind the firewall :)
Tomorrow I hope to cut the center piece out to narrow the width.

I'll narrow the rear section later. I chopped it there it will make it more manageable to move the pieces around.

Oh ya... Anyone got any good deals on link material? What's this stuff costing these days..

dono, current plans are for custom type frame, but I keep thinking that maybe just using a TJ frame would get me there much quicker with decent results.

before.....
20091028-BlueJeepCut 015.jpg

during
20091028-BlueJeepCut 018.jpg

after..
20091028-BlueJeepCut 019.jpg

will redo the tunnel area, just tacked it up for now until I get more stuff in place.

nice man. if you need some help, shoot me a pm. tuesday and thursday afternoons im free after 3.

some more updates.. (in between Graduation, Out of town for xmas and being sick for almost a week)

Changed the base chassis design around some.. This is actually my 2nd pass at this. I had the cowl at a few different heights before I settled on this position. I switched to round as I just wasn't able to fit things as I needed them to be with the square tube. Up front I'll need the flexibility of bending the round tube.

Just the main belly section roughed in for now. Working on the cowl section. Not much to see or look at but FINALLY got some of my major dimensions and component placement sorted out..

A few angles. The red line is where the cross piece will run. That bar is in the same plane as the firewall and will also hold/brace the brakes, steering as well as be a support to other items inside and out.

Anyone got or know who might carry 1"x.120 and 1" .095 round tube, ERW is fine.

Anyway... some pics..

20100103-BlueJeep 004.jpg

20100103-BlueJeep 005.jpg

20100103-BlueJeep 008b.jpg

Yes i have that PBB build bookmarked. Though not the same seeing any 'narrowed' tub helped me decided how much to chop.. He cut like 10-12" i went for 8"

I revised the cowl tube work some, slightly adjusted how the cowl will sit on the tub work. But I'm much happier with this and how everythign else will start to tie in..

Motor mounts and brake pedals will be here today.. I need to take a break from the garage for a day... Have house stuff to catch up on..

Some pics... Red stuff is whats coming next...

20100105-BlueJeep 002b.jpg

20100105-BlueJeep 004.jpg

Heheheh Well..... Based on the deal I worked out today for a new project, the tube work might get cut apart and used on this new one.

The cowl/grill/skins will probably be sold off or stored for later use...

I think I've actually gone full circle with my 4x4 rigs.. ;)

Heheheh Well..... Based on the deal I worked out today for a new project, the tube work might get cut apart and used on this new one.

seriously?

im sure you will tell me all about it next time you come by the shop

I have met you once at the Farm but didn't see you with a rig. I'm not being a smart-ass, but have you ever wheeled something you built, or just build/dismantle and sell??

I have met you once at the Farm but didn't see you with a rig. I'm not being a smart-ass, but have you ever wheeled something you built, or just build/dismantle and sell??

Wheel? Hell ya !!! I just got a new computer and 48" flat panel !!! I can wheel big time now...

Seriously.... So you judging me based on the number of times you've seen me wheel... No worries I'm sure your not alone...

Ok well not as big time as you... Cause I didn't trailer my rig 3.5" hours to the farm.

Fact is the last Farm event I picked up the Dylan's raffle Bronco to haul back to my house to host the last work weekend before I was raffled off.

yup... you came off as being a smart ass.... The fact is I lay as low as I can and that you don't know what I drive sorta makes me laugh....means I'm doing it right....

Funny thing is my rig is one of the banners that flash at the top of the site.

FWIW: I've had several rigs since I started wheeling 12 years ago. And if you knew what my first rig was, my comment might make more sense.

why doesn't this surprise me? :flipoff2:

I wasn't trying to be funny (this time). I remember you parking over by Chip and camping in your van (loved the home made screens!). I just always see your projects but never been wheeling with you. No disrespect intended, just a question.

Jim - You will be the first person I call when either my jeep or the new project gets rolling.

Anyway - The 'new' project won't be such a total start from scratch deal. More stockish (maybe even run ECORS) More along the wheel easier stuff, more often vs harder stuff, fewer times.. In many ways very similar to Slade's Herby beater rig.

To summarize a lot of it.. each change was me not wanting to fully commit to a buggy. Just not that hardcore I guess... I've spent countless hours staring at it, talking to myself, deciding if this is what I really want to do. Everything sounds great now, but long term not so much. I've got a pile of parts but I've just been unable to execute.

New project should move along at a much faster pace.. Not as much scratch built from nothing, more component modifications.. I can do shit as time goes on. Not paving any new paths. Anyway...

Back