Difficulty of Daniel

What do you think of the difficulty level of Daniel?

• Isn't difficult enough.

Votes: 129 50.0%
  • Just fine the way it is.

Votes: 126 48.8%
  • Is too difficult.

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters

you gonna be judging what is underbuilt? Easy to build a trail like this on private land that you can govern what gets on it.Concidering this is PUBLIC land paid for with mine,yours,and evry other yahoos tax money,I don't think it's right to build a trail only Master X on his buggy rolling on 42s can do. I do daniel and I think the trail is fine for the type wheeling I do.I have to be pulled up the first ledge but I have no problems with that and don't spend much time before the strap is hooked.Now just like I have made a decission to keep my 60 year old vehicle stock nad wheel it like she came,I have to figure out if a trail is too much for me or not and use my good judgment to ride that particular trail.If your decission was to build a monster rig that is point and shoot and what is a technical trail for most ,well isn't for you, is not my problem and I don't feel like my tax money needs to be used to fix trails that only a sellect few can use. Plus I hate to tell you but drunk Ahole on his stock grand cherokee and road tires will still try it, no matter how difficult you build it,in the public trail system.
if you don't want you're tax dollars spent on building hard trails for built monsters i guess i can understand that. i don't want my tax dollars spent on building dirt roads with humps in them. to make a good place to ride there should be something for every type rig and this place needs some more difficult trails. as far as the ledges they should be left alone,atleast the first one should and i don't even know where the second one is.i was just there a couple weeks ago and the only ledge on daniel i recall is that one at the start of the trail.

if you don't want you're tax dollars spent on building hard trails for built monsters i guess i can understand that. i don't want my tax dollars spent on building dirt roads with humps in them. to make a good place to ride there should be something for every type rig and this place needs some more difficult trails. as far as the ledges they should be left alone,atleast the first one should and i don't even know where the second one is.i was just there a couple weeks ago and the only ledge on daniel i recall is that one at the start of the trail.
I think this is where bypasses come into play. Everyone might not be able to drive thru the most difficult obstacles, but with well placed bypasses, everyone can access the difficult spots.

as far as the ledges they should be left alone,atleast the first one should and i don't even know where the second one is.i was just there a couple weeks ago and the only ledge on daniel i recall is that one at the start of the trail.

Coming up the first ledge you go straight, then you make a left into the switch back, and then a right and climb a small "hill". That hill is what used to be "The Ledge". From there you go straight and you come to the Z-Turn which is where you have to do a 3-5 point turn to get up the next switchback.

That is a video of what is left of "The Ledge" (or 2nd ledge).

Here is a video of it last year:

You can tell there is a big difference. Keep in mind back in 2003 or 2004 it started out as a vertical ledge created from massive amount of rainfall (2 hurricanes). As it turned from a vertical ledge like l to a sloped ledge like / it got deeper.

To be honest the ledge was a very dangerous obstacle if you took the wrong line. You can see where the ATVs tried to bypass (the guard rail on the left side of the video), That guard railing has kept a number of vehicles from tipping over. And some times it wasn't even up because it got knocked down from vehicles tipping into it. Taking the wrong line is extremely easy if you have a novice driver without a good spotter.

There is a roll over risk on the 1st ledge but it is minimal at best. Out of the two its much safer to keep the 1st ledge as the main obstacle than the 2nd ledge.

Oh yeah on a separate note.

Back when the Tellico closure was first announced, Forest Service from the head office in Asheville came out to Uwharrie. They surveyed all the trails and came to the conclusion that Uwharrie didn't face any threat that Tellico did. Uwharrie has been MUCH more well maintained than Tellico was. We are only now starting to see a down slide of trail upkeep. And its only minor, and is in result of the great increase of use of the trails in light of the Tellico treasure. The heavy trail work this month and other work in the upcoming years in all planned around keeping the trails up to par (repair and drainage wise) and expanding the trail system to help spread out the increased use of the trails.

I know it only takes one environmental group to complain, or one incident to cause a situation at Uwharrie. And it also means a dip in difficulty in some areas to keep the trails in good standing. I won't go into any details but let me put it this way. Trail repairs usually involve filling in erosion problems. Every singe rocky obstacle at Uwharrie is a result of erosion/tire spin. All the trails started out paved/flat dirt trails. As erosion took place and tire spin/usage of the trails rocks under neath started popping up. The Forest Service has to provide a delicate balance of erosion control, while maintaining a level of difficulty acceptable to the riders of the trails.

What happened with Tellico is the Forest Service in that area dropped the ball on the erosion control side and let the difficulty side go through the roof. That is why Tellico had so many difficult trails, because of constant erosion/use the more rocks/ledges were unearthed. If Tellico had been properly maintained by the Forest Service it would have never gotten as difficult as it was while open.

This all ties back into the Daniel trail. As the "Extremely Difficult Trail" the Forest Service has been contemplating what is "Extremely Difficult". One year no maintenance was done to let it go, and see how things went. Things got out of hand (they couldn't get the FS dozer up/down the ledge do trail maintenance) so other options are being looked at. This involves a wide variety of things, and yes bypasses are considered (its common sense). And that is what this thread is for. To see what you guys think, and express our views to the FS.

you gonna be judging what is underbuilt? Easy to build a trail like this on private land that you can govern what gets on it.Concidering this is PUBLIC land paid for with mine,yours,and evry other yahoos tax money,I don't think it's right to build a trail only Master X on his buggy rolling on 42s can do. I do daniel and I think the trail is fine for the type wheeling I do.I have to be pulled up the first ledge but I have no problems with that and don't spend much time before the strap is hooked.Now just like I have made a decission to keep my 60 year old vehicle stock nad wheel it like she came,I have to figure out if a trail is too much for me or not and use my good judgment to ride that particular trail.
No, I'm not going to be judging what's underbuilt. Thats the purpose of having a hard obstacle at either end of the trail. If everything was easy enough for any 4x4, it would be pointless to build a "monster rig". Do you ever tell your friends "hey I made it all the way down wolfs den!"?
I like how all of the trails at Uwharrie are doable in a very mildly built rig, but part of going four wheeling is conquering obstacles, and if we make the obstacles easy enough for everybody, then there aren't really obstacles.

I have to figure out if a trail is too much for me or not and use my good judgment to ride that particular trail.
This is exactly my point.

If your decission was to build a monster rig that is point and shoot and what is a technical trail for most ,well isn't for you, is not my problem and I don't feel like my tax money needs to be used to fix trails that only a sellect few can use.
To change just a few words in your quote above
If your decision was to build a stock rig that is great on the highway and what is 2wd and easy for most ,well isn't for you, is not my problem and I don't feel like my tax money needs to be used to fix trails that only a select few can use.

I would guess it is easier to maintain a difficult trail than a moderate trail because as the obstacles change, they don't have to be bulldozed, modified, etc.

This comment pertains to Daniel only:
What I always hear is a lot of people complaining that Daniel is too difficult. This is accompanied with lots of hemming and hawing about doing Daniel. I have not been to URE since April this year but I have wheeled Daniel every time I go for the last ten years. Daniel is a moderate trail by the standards of other trail systems in the region. A lot of folks do a lot of hand wringing because it is, and has been considered extremely difficult for too long. Yes there are a couple places that care must be taken but nothing a bone stock Jeep driven by someone with some sense couldn't handle. Imho, if there is no environmental impact by letting nature and use go unchecked then let the trail mature into what it could be, an extremely difficult trail. Should that ever happen I'll be happy to use it until such time as my rigs won't be able to traverse it any longer, at which time I'll gladly step aside to let the bigger rigs have at it. Further more, I'd rather see my tax dollars used to create new trails in URE rather than make sure "extremely difficult" trails are passable by all vehicles. Let's try not to follow the example of the US school system of teaching down to the least capable, I.E. making our trails passable by any vehicle with any skill driver. The inexperienced and incapable will have a lot to do but the experienced and the capable will get bored and get in trouble or skip URE altogether.

I enjoy running Daniel and all the trails at URE but if the FS is going to list it as "Extremely Difficult" it's difficulty should be along the lines of "Pull Cable" at Callalantee, otherwise, it needs to be reclassified.

Feel like URE needs more trails in general, definately some more hardcore trails, last time I was there I saw buggys and they looked bored as hell, I know I would have been. My brother did Daniel with no issues on 33's with open diffs/ 3.55's in an XJ. Dust flying everywhere is the biggest turn off of URE in general. Definately needs some harder obstacles, a daniel connector would be an excellent addition.

dad did it in a samurai on 31s, 1 locker and 5 inch lift....he has NO offroad experience

Another thing. IMHO if its raining at URE all the trails are much more difficult. Last year I went in December and it was raining good. Everyone in the group pulled cable on the first ledge on Daniel. Maybbe they are rating it for a wet trail when it should be rated dry and as moderate. Just a thought that came to mind while I was reading these responses. As for the Hydro issues I guess I'd need to see the trail because I don't see where it would inpact the river. Unless there is some other water then what I am thinking about.

Another thing. IMHO if its raining at URE all the trails are much more difficult. Last year I went in December and it was raining good. Everyone in the group pulled cable on the first ledge on Daniel. Maybbe they are rating it for a wet trail when it should be rated dry and as moderate. Just a thought that came to mind while I was reading these responses. As for the Hydro issues I guess I'd need to see the trail because I don't see where it would inpact the river. Unless there is some other water then what I am thinking about.

When it has rained the Daniel trail can become impassible without a winch to a lot of vehicles. I remember our group back in December of last year had to turn around. I left right before this knowing it wasn't the best idea to do Daniel when its slippery as hell. Talking trucks locked front and rear, t-case gears, diff gears, etc. They figured it wasn't worth winching the entire group up both ledges.

Dry Daniel is a different story, but I still think the 1st ledge would give stock vehicles issues clearance wise. I ran Daniel back in 06 on 235/75 street tires (no lift), and then on 31x10.5s till the start of 08 (no lift). And I have/had is an LSD in the rear. But now days I wouldn't attempt the 1st ledge on 31"s, unless you have a good amount of lift. We did have an open/open Cherokee do it in April, but he had 6" of lift and 33x10.50s A/Ts. He got away with it because he kept all 4 tires on the ground.

As far as Gold Mine and erosion goes here is what I was told. There is an extremely steep incline near the beginning of the trail that drains almost directly into a nearby stream. And of course right near there is the Uwharrie River. There were some other erosion issues, but without a major re-route of the trail it won't be re-opened any time soon.

Not to mention on other trails there have been issues with endangered flowers, and bald eagles nests (even though the rules on these have changed since 2007).

Dry Daniel is a different story, but I still think the 1st ledge would give stock vehicles issues clearance wise..

I don't think stock vehicles should be able to go on daniel, any trail a stock vehicle can even attempt, should be rated no higher than moderate. Just my opinion.

Agree with Ghost though, Daniel when wet is a real bastard and that would explain the rating.

No, I'm not going to be judging what's underbuilt. Thats the purpose of having a hard obstacle at either end of the trail. If everything was easy enough for any 4x4, it would be pointless to build a "monster rig". Do you ever tell your friends "hey I made it all the way down wolfs den!"?
I like how all of the trails at Uwharrie are doable in a very mildly built rig, but part of going four wheeling is conquering obstacles, and if we make the obstacles easy enough for everybody, then there aren't really obstacles.
This is exactly my point.
To change just a few words in your quote above
If your decision was to build a stock rig that is great on the highway and what is 2wd and easy for most ,well isn't for you, is not my problem and I don't feel like my tax money needs to be used to fix trails that only a select few can use.
I would guess it is easier to maintain a difficult trail than a moderate trail because as the obstacles change, they don't have to be bulldozed, modified, etc.

I can take your points and I understand them too. What I'd love to see are a few new trails and if they get to the point of being unpassable for me from usage then so be it. I can adapt and overcome with my ideas and teckniques that a dificult spot in one trail isn't going to ruin my trip. I run Daniel from the bottom at the urging from my friends wanting me to travel with the group.I know and they do that I will be pulled up the first ledge (only ledge now) and are fine with it I guess.In my mind and heart tho,I would be better coming in from the double parking lot and jjust meeting them at the top .

the way Callalente is set up to me is the best of both worlds. I can do welder yet watch at the waterfall...I can't do armourall but I can travel beside you and watch what is going on and assist in recovery at the outlet.

I don't think stock vehicles should be able to go on daniel, any trail a stock vehicle can even attempt, should be rated no higher than moderate. Just my opinion.
Agree with Ghost though, Daniel when wet is a real bastard and that would explain the rating.

I don't mind a stock vehicle doing Daniel. hell I've spotted for stock open/open trucks on Daniel get up - yeah with a little wheel spin and more skinny pedal than most. But my concern is that we need a bypass. Publixc land is for everyone and we all should be able to go up any trail and watch others from the side if there are hard parts. Cool thing about Daniel is at the three way those that want easy can go left and others can go middle or right or hell criss-cross.
Like jimmy said Calla, TN is great because you can get right next to those on armorall and up pullcable. I'd like to see more trails and loops and less dead end trails.
Also the three way and the rock stairs on daniel are the fun spots if you want go up and down for awhile. There is fun to be had if you just try a different line.

I don't mind a stock vehicle doing Daniel. hell I've spotted for stock open/open trucks on Daniel get up - yeah with a little wheel spin and more skinny pedal than most. But my concern is that we need a bypass. Publixc land is for everyone and we all should be able to go up any trail and watch others from the side if there are hard parts. Cool thing about Daniel is at the three way those that want easy can go left and others can go middle or right or hell criss-cross.
Like jimmy said Calla, TN is great because you can get right next to those on armorall and up pullcable. I'd like to see more trails and loops and less dead end trails.
Also the three way and the rock stairs on daniel are the fun spots if you want go up and down for awhile. There is fun to be had if you just try a different line.

Why can't I bring my honda civic (Dont actually have one, but just an example) up the trails with you guys, this is stupid, you should make a paved road up the hill for me.

Why should everyone be able to do everything?

Thats like saying everyone should pass in public schools.

Why must we continue to lower the standards...

I understand bypasses on alot of trails, but at the same time there should be atleast 1 trail at any given OHV area that requires heavy modification, the more the better, I don't expect to be able to do these trails, I know its for the big guns, but I would love to ride along one day :D

Gives those of us with less modified rigs something to shoot for, "One day Ill take my rig up that trail" :D

I think thats bullshit.
I know a bunch of people who have rented IFS trucks at the airport and wheeled all of Moab with the 'big' boys and was able to stay on trail or go around in some places. There are still 'hard' spots and ways to get around. With any amount of driver finesse and skill you could do just about anything that your differential and clearance will allow.
And speaking of hondas.... I've seen pics of a 4wd minivan doing Moab - no lift. Not saying its right but why make something inaccessible? There are those that think Daniel is 'hard' and they are not big enough. Well, to counter their apprehensiveness.... I've seen stock cherokees on 29's and IFS bone stock 4cyl troopers with absolutely no HP go up Daniel.
Its all in the driver, the risk and your money.
Now, if we made a simple rule that said 'only 4wd vehicles allowed past this point' I'd be fine with that. Stop glorifying the URE trail system. I know damn well I can do any trail out there but some obstacles I simply cannot do. So there, i say, there.... is when you can say "hey one day I'll build my rig big enough to do X".
Build bypasses in some places, educate the next generation in 'driving skill' and keep in mind its public land.
Do I say "why the fuck are those large rocks in the way when I see Pull Cable in TN"??? Fuck no. It aint my land. I can't tell anyone what to do with it. Now as for URE, trust me I'm not saying hey treat it like we do the handicap and start making 'equalit access' for all obstacles... No but a trail - YES.

{edited} one more thing, you want a paved trail up a mountain? go drive the Blue Ridge pkwy.

we have to keep in mind we are talking about daniel. not Mtn city,moab the lay of the land is diifferent by a long shot. it would be hard to make a bypass on daniel thats why in my mind its a TRAIL THAT STANDS ALONE. there is one way in and the sign says that its a difficult trail so make it a difficult trail. and i belive that a stock jeep,toy,anything should not be able to make a difficult trail.

I would just like to say that I am in favor of bypasses so broken rigs can get out easier, safely, and more quickly, but I think that the obstacles should be difficult so there is still a technical aspect to the trails. Stock vehicles should not be able to go up Daniel and if they can, we need other "more difficult" trails that are fun for rigs that are built more. I don't see the fun in riding on a trail unless there are obstacles or going around every one on a bypass. URE needs trails of every difficulty so that everyone can enjoy them. Right now, Daniel is the most difficult one there so it needs to actually be difficult.

you know I got to thinking about it last night and I'm gonna back up on my views a little bit.Let Daniel work itself out to being a tough trail.No more after season work on it except what is needed for safety.Build a second trail that is really really tough with offshoots of rock gardens to the side.Sort of like a pull off area . Build it tough and build it hard. Have fun. I'll stay out the way.

Lorenzo,if they have their own place to play,then the traffic will hopefully drop on the other trails and then maybe we can enjoy the trail system the way it was ment to be.

Here I am driving up the middle of the first ledge in May. I have 4.5" of lift on 33's at about 12 psi. My transfer case hangs lower than an XJ as well so between that and my wheelbase my break over angle is not very good. I have no problem traversing the ledge with a little driver skill. I have a point and shoot Wrangler that will overcome anything at URE but I prefer to wheel my ZJ at URE because it is more of a challenge. If your rig is over built for URE, that was your choice, no one made you build it that capable. Stock or slightly modified rigs have a blast doing technical wheeling to overcome obstacles at URE. Remember, wheeling is were like minded individuals come together to ride the trails and have a good time. If you just want obstacles to conquer then go someplace like Crozet.
No trail should be closed to anyone on public land. Imo, Daniel should be allowed to mature naturally without FS intervention, except for environmental issues. There are places that have the biggest and the baddest trails and if those who want that type of wheeling should chose those venues rater than URE. Just like stock or slightly modified wheelers have to decide if they want to tackle a trail so should those with heavily modified rigs realize they too chose to wheel URE knowing what the trails are like.
http://youtu.be/dK1cwKo2ckA

Not only does it need to be more difficult IMHO it needs to be looped back into the system. Daniel being the only trail on that side of the road makes it a one way trail IMHO. Either you go up Daniel and move the tow rig or you go up Daniel run URE and then back down Daniel. I would love to see another trial that hooks the bottom of Daniel back into the system.

I like this idea alot. Instead of a bypass on the peak climb, what if there was another trail connected to the top of the scenic peak that headed back down the 555 in a differant direction. Would be cool to have a trail that connected into dickey bell from up there too.

Hydrology issues on Gold Mine mainly involves the extremely steep incline/hill that drains almost directly into a neary by stream/river.

So let's create a trail that runs through a rocky creek - that would be a really nice addition to the trail. I'd love to get wet without getting covered in mud.

I hope that many alternatives, suggestions and ideas are being presented to the FS.
What if.... The trail was rerouted (I haven't looked at a topo) but something like the line drawn in. It would crate an 'easy' loop as well as reduce the single path for those who need to stay on the trails. Would this also possibly move the trail away from the step hills and run off problems..
View attachment 27290

That is a good idea. The connector trail could junction with Daniel right at the first ledge. You would sort of turn a slight left instead of hooking the hard right to go up the ledge. I don't remember all of the old Gold Mine trail, but I am guessing the main problem hill where the run off/erosion was occuring, must have been the first one you came to when leaving from the Daniel parking lot. It was a fairly steep slick as owl shit clay hill with no rocks about 100-200 yards from the parking lot IIRC. It might be a little farther up the old trail than that, but you definitely came to it before gaining any appreciable elevation. Perhaps if the new trail missed that whole area by connecting into Daniel just below/at the first ledge, then that would be a workable solution for the FS.

There were discussions of a rock garden to play on..way back when the first race was held at URE.
I was told that it was a great idea and very very possible, but we would have to make it happen. Back then, the ''we'' was American Wheeler.
I have always thought that a supreme rock garden/play area was a great idea. It would probably lessen the trail traffic a bit, and it would,if built right, attract a few more hardcore wheelers to the area(was thinking about local economy)
When the idea first popped into my head, I had a vision of this great play area right at the double parking lots on the Daniel side of the road. Folks could unload and crawl while others could watch from the nearby parking lot. It is close to bathrooms and trash cans and handicap accesable(sp)---if built right.
BUT..I dont have the money or a tractor to do this and it is still just a vision.
This play area could also be used for various competitions too.

This would be a great addition and could really seperate the traffic flow. Ultimatly more things that could happen down on 555 at the bottom of Daniel the better. The western side of the OHV system is easy, the eastern side is difficult and the middle is moderate. So some folks would enter/park on the wolf den side and run trails that brought them back to there. Others could enter/park at the bottom of Daniel and have a set of more difficult obstacles to play on along with the Daniel trail system (and gold mine loop).

So one route could be up daniel, around rocky mount, down dickey bell and then onto gold mine back to the lot. I assume that another trails on this side would be at least blue, but preferably red or black

I think thats bullshit.
I know a bunch of people who have rented IFS trucks at the airport and wheeled all of Moab with the 'big' boys and was able to stay on trail or go around in some places. There are still 'hard' spots and ways to get around. With any amount of driver finesse and skill you could do just about anything that your differential and clearance will allow.
And speaking of hondas.... I've seen pics of a 4wd minivan doing Moab - no lift. Not saying its right but why make something inaccessible? There are those that think Daniel is 'hard' and they are not big enough. Well, to counter their apprehensiveness.... I've seen stock cherokees on 29's and IFS bone stock 4cyl troopers with absolutely no HP go up Daniel.
Its all in the driver, the risk and your money.
Now, if we made a simple rule that said 'only 4wd vehicles allowed past this point' I'd be fine with that. Stop glorifying the URE trail system. I know damn well I can do any trail out there but some obstacles I simply cannot do. So there, i say, there.... is when you can say "hey one day I'll build my rig big enough to do X".
Build bypasses in some places, educate the next generation in 'driving skill' and keep in mind its public land.
Do I say "why the fuck are those large rocks in the way when I see Pull Cable in TN"??? Fuck no. It aint my land. I can't tell anyone what to do with it. Now as for URE, trust me I'm not saying hey treat it like we do the handicap and start making 'equalit access' for all obstacles... No but a trail - YES.

{edited} one more thing, you want a paved trail up a mountain? go drive the Blue Ridge pkwy.

Glad to see the people following these posts agreed with me, also notice I obviously touched a nerve, don't know why, but don't care either. I was being sarcastic about the honda and the paved rd, but maybe I should have spelled that out. Yes, its public land, and EVERYONE is welcome, but I don't think its asking to much to let daniel develop into a more difficult trail that actually requires some lift/clearance/mods, regardless of how skilled of a driver you are, if your stock, you aren't managing this trail or "obstacle", we aren't saying "Hey, You, guy with the stock jeep/yota/etc... get outta here your not welcome" Its saying, Hey, when you get some mods done to your rig, this trails here waiting for you, until then maybe ride with a friend and get a feel for it or enjoy some of the other trails that you are more than capable to handle.

@ Rox, you say its not anyones fault they overbuilt the rigs, its nobodys fault that others underbuilt there rigs either. Just trying to create a place fun for everyone, wouldn't you have alot more fun at URE if you could bring your Wrangler once in a while and actually have fun with it?

Its all for good fun, and there are plenty trails for the stockers and mildly built rigs, if there was more for the more built rigs, the mildy built rigs would have more room to run in the other trails. Lots could be done to make URE better for everyone.

If you must consider "obstacles and trails" as you do, heres my advice, lets consider daniel an obstacle, its not a trail, the whole damn thing is an obstacle. Does that make you feel better about it? Probably not, but thats the point, there are a million loopholes, can stockers do every trail at every OHV park? No.
Why should stockers be able to do every trail at URE?

Not wanting to start some stupid argument, but I am wanting to express my opinion, and Im glad others seem to share it.

So let's create a trail that runs through a rocky creek - that would be a really nice addition to the trail. I'd love to get wet without getting covered in mud.

keep in mind that they are going to build a bridge over the water crossing at dickie bell. Hell they could have just closed that twisty section. I like that little area too.

And xjfreak I don't totally disagree with you. I'm saying yeah let the trail go but make it so that people can ride or go around. Lets say a year from now the ledges are so tough hardly anyone can get up.... Well then not fair because I can do the rest of the trail. I'm saying get a bypass and leave the obstacles to erode/improve whatever. Kinda like the RML playground area with budwesier and kodak. Hell I rmrb when that section was nowhere as wide as it is now and the rocks at budwesier have changed. Some fell off so now people come straight up it instead of sideways.... BUT there is a bypass and other runs through that area. So we are all saying the same thing - sorta.
Build a trail to the top of the 3way from the rut/1st ledge - same
build a bypass around the 2 ledges to the 3 way - same
build a connector to another trail altogether - different idea altogether but all good ideas.
:beer:

Back