Diesel or Gas???

chrisb5050

I am shopping for a tow rig. I want a '96 -'97 F250 0r F350. I had my mine set on diesel until the changes came about with the fuel itself. My father-in-law has a half dozen or so diesels at work and he informed me that since the new fuel came out---their trucks starting giving problems. fuel filters. fuel pumps, and o-rings. Has anyone else experienced these problems? Does the advantages still outweigh these small problems?

T-I-A

What O rings? I have a diesel now and want to start thinking ahead and planning if need be.

Anywhere there is an o-ring in your fuel system pretty much. For the first generation dodge people it seems that a leaking injection pump is the most common. It seems that the new ULSD fuel has a way of either "finding" spots to leak through or actually might eat through the o-rings. I seem to recall a comment by someone on the board that works on mercedes and he said that he thought that it was eating the o-rings.

Anywhere there is an o-ring in your fuel system pretty much. For the first generation dodge people it seems that a leaking injection pump is the most common. It seems that the new ULSD fuel has a way of either "finding" spots to leak through or actually might eat through the o-rings. I seem to recall a comment by someone on the board that works on mercedes and he said that he thought that it was eating the o-rings.

there was some discussion here:

Fuel Treatments?
low sulfer diesel

Greg (BIGWOODY) works on the Mercs...

Diesel all the way. I'll never own another truck that's not diesel as long as I can afford it. As far as the ULSD goes, no problems here with my '04 PSD. I do run Powerservice on every tank though. I figure it can't hurt.

- Mac

it just makes old o-rings leak, the guys with newer trucks no problems the guys with 99's and back ya some stuff is going to start leaking if it has not already been replaced. definetly a good idea to run a conditioner.

I would say diesel but it all depends on budget and needs. diesel resale value, longevity, down right coolness, fuel mileage.

Gas way cheaper, maintence costs lower. you can buy a gas motor that will meet your towing need it just won't get the fuel mileage.

there are things you "could" add to make the diesel fuel a little more like it used to be.

There are several additives you can buy....or there is always the 2 stroke oil method....or even just a good quart of 10-30 (cheap walmart brand does wonders)

Just throwing that out there...

i just read that the new ultra-low sulfur fuel is somehow dredging up contaminants from the bottom of the fuel storage tanks at gas stations, these contaminants in turn get passed into your trucks fuel tank and into your fuel filter....apparently for a while were all going to have to change our fuel filters more often....

diesel all the way it will pay for its self over with better gas mileage and more towing power

For the same price, you could get a '99 Chevy 2500 with the 454, and kill any PSD of that era pulling.

Mileage is worse, but gas is cheaper than diesel, too, as is maintenance.

These days, it's gonna take you a looooooong time to break even on a diesel.

For the same price, you could get a '99 Chevy 2500 with the 454, and kill any PSD of that era pulling.

You priced diesel lately?
Ok I know that answer...
How about gas then?

Down here regular has caught or passed diesel everywhere

Here, diesel is the same price as premium unleaded. 87 is .20 cheaper

3 weeks ago, it was .10-.20 higher than 93 octane.

No matter which way you cut it, 6 quarts of oil is cheaper than 12, and a Purolator filter at $5 is cheaper than $8.. Then, there's fuel filters, and all that jazz we've already talked to death about...

Either way, you were purely making up that shit about the 454. It didn't even make as much power as the 6.5. :shaking:

Between the ULSD fuel price and the leaks it causes if I was to buy a new truck it would be a gasser. The benefits of owning a diesel are coming to a end. Its a damn shame too.
No leaks here.

As for a new truck, people always look for the mileage savings to pay for the added cost of the diesel engine. One thing that people leave out is the additional residual value of the diesel truck when you sell it. If I pay $5k for a diesel engine new, I know I'll get that same differential on the back end when I sell the truck. Especially if you trip over 100k. When diesel and gas are $3-$4 per gallon, I'll be happy to get 20+mpg with my CTD on the interstate while the Hemi owner leaves his parked at home. :driver:

The era of diesels is just beginning. :beer:

i agree that with ULSD we will just not start seeing new diesel technology. I'd be all over a decient ~5L ish diesel.. I really don't need the power being put down but the current trucks. Give me a smaller engine and an extra gear. Plus I don't need a truck that weights 7500# empty.

3 weeks ago, it was .10-.20 higher than 93 octane.
No matter which way you cut it, 6 quarts of oil is cheaper than 12, and a Purolator filter at $5 is cheaper than $8.. Then, there's fuel filters, and all that jazz we've already talked to death about...

You are right, diesels suck.

Give me yours....

Nope o arguing turn over the keys...:flipoff2:

Right now Ford/IH is not doing well with the new diesel. Ford and IH has been at war because of the past failures of the 6.0 engines. IH shut down their 6.4 Powerstroke engine plant. A court forced them to reopen and resume shipping engines to Ford. Right now Ford and IH are not the best of friends. The new 6.4 appears to be a fuel hog. Time will tell. The new diesels both IH and Cummins now have particulate filters EGR valves and cats. They have to burn off the soot which requires a burn off cycle on a pretty regular basis. This requires extra fuel for it to happen. I have a friend that has a 2008 F450 that gets a whopping 8 mpg while towing. His previous F350 with a 7.3 got 12 mpg towing the same load. These new emmission laws are ruining the fuel economy. If these engines are not fuel efficient why spend a extra $6500 for a engine? A 362 HP V10 is a $500 option. Glad I own a 7.3.

Thats true...but how many 454 do you see with 200 -300 - maybe even 400 thousand miles without a major rebuild. And yes, you could by a crate motor or even a cheap rebuild kit...but thats time wrenching on the tow rig instead of the the trail rig.

Just a though.
Seth

Back