Diesel Diagnostics?

63cj5universal

Does anyone have a handheld diagnostic machine I can use? My 99 model F250 with the 7.3 turbo diesel (2wd, automatic, 145k mi) is SUFFERING. I realy don't have the coin to pay $60 for someone to run it at their shop (Christmas is almost here).

To give a short background, mileage is the main issue. I used to get about 500 miles to the tank, but am now down to about 350 mile per tank. Power is not quite what it used to be either.

Just did oil change, fuel filter: no noticable benifit

been monitoring EGT, Trans temp, oil pressure, engine temp, boost, NOTHING OUT OF THE ORDINARY

Hoping this is just some bad sensor. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I have tried to get on thedieselshop, but they won't let me sign up.

Is there a check engine light on???

Have you made any recent mods to the truck? bigger tires....?

Which tank do you have and is it chipped?

My 99.5 f250 gets about 325-350 miles to the tank too. It has the small tank. 28gal i think.

You haven't said if its chipped yet, but if its not..... Go check out my superchips in parts for sale. Its works on 99 to 03 7.3l and it'll read your codes.

Sorry for the delay.

No, the check engine light is not on.

Yes it is chipped. 65 horsepower chip from Western Diesel. Chip has been in for years now with no issues.(except transmissions)

No new anything done in the past two years.

Large tank. 38 gal or so

Started running some Lucas fuel additive this weekend, seems to be doing a little better. Any other ideas?

Not to rub salt into it, but after 3 tanks of your reduced mileage, you will have paid for the diagnostics...

My work truck did the same thing at around 120,000 its a 00 with the 6 speed. It was the injectors. They are $$$ so I hope thats not your problem. If you have to have injectors go to a fuel shop they should be a good bit cheaper than the dealer. I have heard Ford had injector isues back then. It didnt put out any OBDII codes.

Back