Detroit or ARB?

BigClay

Knower of useless ZJ things
Looking for some opinions. My jeep is a weekend warrior that I do like to drive on the street with the top off some. I trailer to and from the trails, but I do like to drive it to work on occasion.

So what would be the locker of choice in the rear axle (8.8) for a rig like this? Is the ARB really worth the extra cost? How would a Detroit do in this setup? I currently have a lunch box locker but looking for a stronger carrier option.

ARB's are slick as a... Its simple smooth no noise jerks or anything while open. Lock it and rock it. Done. Pretty stout but more things to fail. No air no locker, leak may not lockup, bad switch, ect ect. Most really love them in the front axle. On off as needed better steering when in 4wd. Only locked when it gets gritty.
My favorite: full carrier detroit. Beefy, mechanical no non sense. Nice. Might give a little nod to let you know it engages but that just adds to my senses that I am driving a real 4wd. Put it in set it right go pounding. No frilly mess and extra parts to finagle or fail.
If your acclimated to the lunch box your good. And my detroit engaged better than my older lock rights.

Detroit all the way in the rear. ARB is great but as said above multiple points of failure. I have broken 2 ARB lockers and replaced both with a Detroit.

ARB all the way.

Detroit is going to be just like your lunchbox locker. If you don't hate the lunchbox locker, I wouldn't spend the money to change anything.

Might as well consider a Zip locker if you are considering an ARB
This is often overlooked, they also carry something in the range of a 5 yr warranty and damage coverage up to $2500. So if you grenade it and it takes out the gears and shafts you're not totally up shit creek without a paddle for repairs.

And there's the electric lockers too. Since I only webwheel, I'm wanting to put an ECTED in mine. Has the advantage of being a limited slip when it's not locked, which I prefer.

I have the "normal" combo of a Detroit out back and an ARB up front. I have had a Detroit since late 2004 in the stock axle and then when I upgraded to the 14 bolt I put another one in. They have their little quirks but I wouldn't really trade it for another locker. Dead simple and reliable. My ARB has been great with no issues either, but was a grand more to purchase (including the compressor, upgraded hose, etc).

Detroit for sure

In my experience, if I'm going to run a Detroit in the rear I'll go with a spool. I've not seen much difference between the two on the street. The Detroit still scrubs tires and everything but at least with the spool there's no popping and carrying on.

So my vote is for ARB/Zip or leave it like it is.

I went electric.

I toiled over Detroit, or ARB for the longest time. Saving and debating, and researching. All the while driving my TJ to work, and around town really enjoying the absence of the sudden jerk and overall unpleasantness the Detroit gave me in in my old bronco. If I trailered everywhere it'd be detroit no doubt, but since my kids drive it, AND I like driving it in the snow, I didn't want any of the unexpected jerking, nor the PITA turning radius reduction a spool or Detroit gives you. I wanted to unlock it when I wanted it unlocked.

I got a price from ECGS for regearing as well as ARB's and Eaton Elockers and decided that extra $1000 could be spent elsewhere.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with ARB, and they make a superior product, but for ME, the choice was Elockers.

I have the "normal" combo of a Detroit out back and an ARB up front.

That's backwards, IMHO. I can deal with an auto locker in the front. It's the popping and jerking and oversteer/understeer on the street with an auto locker that I don't like. That and the unreliable behavior on slippery roads.

The other Jeep has JK electric lockers front/back. I prefer to drive it, even though it doesn't have a radio.

Honestly I've always tried to keep my tire pressures even and only once in a while do I ever get an unpleasant jerk when driving on the street. Tight parking lot maneuvers are sometimes annoying but oh well. Two different Detroit lockers in two different axles. My Blazer's Lock-Right is also not a big deal, so I am not sure where all the hate comes from.

OP, The Elocker is the idea I've been pondering in my 44 for a while. Although, the model for the 8.8 is outdated and has a few weak points.

I would either go zip locker or detroit. Detroit will be quirky here and there but sure fire. Zip locker selectivity is nice, but I just don't like the idea of using electrical, to control air, to control mechanical. Sounds like a lot to go wrong or trouble shoot if something was to go out on the trail.

I've been running an arb front since 2005 with 0 problems, I do have a York compressor and 11 gallon air tank, so I cant say if the electric viair or arb pumps are problem free, but the arb started out in my 03f250 when I wheeled it. I pulled it out and installed it into the 60 in my 78 truggy when I built it. Didn't even replace the o rings! If the air line is routed good you'd have no problems with it, and the electric solenoid that turns the air on gets flipped on an off regularly on wheeling trips.

If you wanted to simplify @LumberjackLloyd they make toggle switches that control air instead of electricity. Napa can order them.

I pulled the trigger on a Detroit from ECGS, I like the minimal complication and the cheaper price.

All good info in here!

Detroit is cheaper for sure.
I've wheeled three different ARBs over the last 8 years. Not a single locker problem. Blew a line or two but other than that the selection is worth every dime. In my crawler now I have ARB up front and a Detroit in the rear. The Detroit was in the rear when I bought the axle so I left it. But if I ever have to tear down the rear axle for anything I will have an ARB in it for sure. I HATE that locking and unlocking crap. Mainly not unlocking. I have no problem on the trail w a Detroit bit I can't even turn my jeep into the garage w/o digging a rut in the gravel and definitely can't make a turn on pavement w/o scrubbing $2 worth of rubber off a 43 sx.
Moral of my Detroit story is it may as well be welded.

I just don't like the idea of using electrical, to control air, to control mechanical. Sounds like a lot to go wrong or trouble shoot if something was to go out on the trail.

Shame you can't just take an air tank and a ball valve and.... Oh. Wait.

I'll say this. I've been wheeling 8 years very regular and never seen but one ARB problem on the trail. And my understanding it was an install mistake. The brass airline got into the ring gear.
But over the years I've seen problems with every other locker multiple times. But there are less ARB lockers out there due to price mostly.

I wasn't worried about the actual ARB going bad, but with my luck my compressor would die on me or a line would crack. I know the Detroit won't be easy on the road, but neither is my Aussie right now.

Back