"deal of a lifetime"

encwheeler

I've got a chance to buy a 05 F-350 Crew Cab for about $15,000. It's got the FX4 package, long bed, 6.0, 118,000 mi,and tow package. The problem is I don't really need a tow rig but i've wanted one for years. Any suggestions?

What's wrong with the 6.0? I'm not going to be towing concrete or anything and if I do tow my 4runner it will be maybe once or twice a year.

Search. The 6.0 is the most unreliable, problomatic pos diesel (except maybe the 6.7, time will tell) made.

If you buy one out of waranty, expect to spend money on turbos, headgaskets, injectors, etc. Not to mention paying the ford stealer to take the cab off if they do any major work to it.

If you want a superduty, keep looking and get a 7.3. There are plenty of deals to be found right now on big trucks.

Like they said... That ain't a deal. Working on them is a huge issue.

Yes you have to remove the cab to do major work

And the 6.0 is a flaming piece of shit.

I think the 6.0 gets a bad rap myself. My neighbor hauls a fully loaded trailer with his 350 dualie, and has never had an issue other than an oil line leak. It's all in how you treat it.

The 05 and 06 6.0 have considerably less problems than the 03 and 04s.

Still, thats not a smoking deal.
They are moving cheap and slow right now.

I think that not all 6.0s are bad.

We use two of them (an 03 F350 DRW and an 06 F350 DRW) to tow all over the country going to every race, every weekend and we have never had any problems (other than normal maintenance). They both have full banks kits (everything) and both tow 28-32 foot trailers with racecars, pursuit vehicle, golf carts, promotional stuff, and tons of other junk in the trailers. These trucks get driven hard 4 days out of each week and we havent had any issues.

We take good care of them though. They are both nice trucks (King Ranch and FX4) so they get taken care of really well by the fleet management crew and only the best fluids/parts get put on them so that may help i guess.

Im just saying...not all of them are automatically going to catch on fire and blow up.

Oh...and they are FAAAST.

I just bought an 07 F350 quadcab, 4x4, Fx4, diesel, auto, with only 24k miles for $18,700. So, with that many miles and being two years older, not such a great deal.

I think the 6.0 gets a bad rap myself. My neighbor hauls a fully loaded trailer with his 350 dualie, and has never had an issue other than an oil line leak. It's all in how you treat it.

Disagree 100%. Parents camping club has 6 w/ 6.0s. 5 of the 6 have had turbos blow or need head studs. Now these are old farts pulling TTs but still..... You cant kill a 7.3 without serious effort.

I've got a chance to buy a 05 F-350 Crew Cab for about $15,000. It's got the FX4 package, long bed, 6.0, 118,000 mi,and tow package. The problem is I don't really need a tow rig but i've wanted one for years. Any suggestions?

Is it a white lariat?

I doubt you will find a low mileage (under 100,000) superduty anywhere for less than 10.

You are looking in the wrong places.
If I wasnt so damn picky Id have 3 on the last month by now....

You are looking in the wrong places.
If I wasnt so damn picky Id have 3 on the last month by now....
Believe me, I'm not looking, I've got the truck I want. My point was low mileage 7.3s are getting harder and harder to find, especially in decent shape.

I played in a golf tournamnet with one of the regional service advisors for Ford. I asked him about the 6.0 trucks, he just shook his head and laughed. He did tell me I may want to hang on to my CTD if I wanted a reliable truck. The Fords are nice, but that motor is crap.

if only that were true...my wife's excursion wouldn't have waist high grass around it

Believe me, I'm not looking, I've got the truck I want. My point was low mileage 7.3s are getting harder and harder to find, especially in decent shape.

You should see the one John Cadieu just bought! 02 7.3 with 19K!!! Cant remember what he paid, but he did O.K.

Is it a white lariat?
No It's a tan XLT. I drove it yesterday and everything was great with it except the message center said "water in fuel" and the 4x4 dash light didn't work. After hashing out numbers decided not to get it. The stealership won't give me enough on a trade in. Then they tried telling me that they would have to sell it for $19,700 for it to look good for the loan. I told them "I know dealer math and when you are ready to be serious about selling the truck, give me a call."

I love the 6.0. Not only do I work on them for a living and also do tons of performance work but I think they are a good motor to. After working on them I know what needs to be done to make them a reliable engine. As for that price, that is by far not a good deal. That truck should be around $12,000. Also if you are going to get one over 100,000 miles talk to your dealer about the Ford 7/200,000 extended warrenty. Well worth it.

Back