[Date TBD] Off Road Emergency Care

jonboyjs

Hi folks. This is a project I've been discussing with WNC locals, but could potentially turn into a great course for me to bring to you. I'm currently developing a course by this title that will encompass all aspects of first aid, but with a specification to the off road environment to dig more into environmental emergencies and types of injuries we'd expect to see off road. It will include some aspects of wilderness medicine as well since there aren't many injuries crawling at the mall. Originally, it wasn't going to be for any certification, but with what I'm currently looking at, I'll be able to provide a certification in first aid from the American Safety and Health Institute as I'm an instructor through them.

A bit about me and why I'm putting this out there. Many off road events don't have dedicated medical staff on site. A nasty rollover or ejection can result in serious loss of life or limb if folks don't know what to do. I'm a North Carolina and Nationally Registered Paramedic with a degree in Emergency Medical Science. I served as a search and rescue technician/medic for 5 years with Buncombe County Rescue Squad. I've worked as a paramedic in every aspect from 911 ambulance response to hostile site medic in Afghanistan. I have a good understanding of how to do more with less, as most folks would be presented with off road. I'm also going to put together a recommended kit for each rig and can probably do some pre-made med kits for a decent price.

For now, I'm gauging interest in this course and with enough response, I can set up a date and price. If you have any offline questions, just PM me and I'd be happy to relay my contact information.

I would attend if there were one closed by. I'm currently EMT but I can still learn something!

I would be interested as well. Never hope to have to use it but knowing is better than not being able to help at all.

No EMT but I can put a bandaid on like a professional

Last edited:
I am interested as well, this would be a valuable set of skills past my military training, and I know I have forgotten a few things.

Outstanding interest guys! I'll try to put together a date and let everyone know. Ideally, it would be awesome to have an old truck cab or buggy frame of some kind to teach some basic patient movements if any of the club's can make that happen ;-) I'll probably host it somewhere central to WNC as I'm in Asheville but if it goes well I can travel for small groups.

Last edited:
I'd be very interested. Used to be first aid/cpr/aed trained, but it all fell bathe wayside after marriage and moving twice. I'm always in to learn more emergency aid and such, been a big interest of mine for years.

I'd be interested also especially if you did a class closer to greensboro.

That's very possible as I'm originally from Trinity so coming down there isn't a big deal. I'm going to reach out to some of the off road parks in each respective area so we can do some training outside in the expected environment. Will keep you all posted!

That's very possible as I'm originally from Trinity so coming down there isn't a big deal. I'm going to reach out to some of the off road parks in each respective area so we can do some training outside in the expected environment. Will keep you all posted!
Even better I live in archdale.

We had an instructor meeting at work yesterday and I got a bit more information. The American Safety and Health Institute first aid curriculum should be to us in a few weeks. I'm going to incorporate that entire class so that I can give a certification for first aid, but I'm going to put more focus into the off road environment. The cost for the course will be $40/person and it will be a 1 day class.

You can use The Flats Offroad Park free of charge if you need a place to do one of your courses. Call me if you want to schedule something. 828-44two-793two

Awesome, thanks a lot. Once I iron out a date, I'll require pre-registration and a $20 deposit for each student. A lot of effort goes into putting these courses on, so having no shows makes doing them difficult in the future.

I know it's been awhile, but did anything ever come of this?

Great ideas like this need to come to fruition, we find ourselves to be self sufficient when it comes to preparing our rigs but having more people with this knowledge could be the difference between life or death for someone.

Id be interested in this if it was still a concept....

Guys,

If there is enough interest I would be glad to do a program on managing the wilderness emergency. I do similar workshops for the Mountain Bike community and have been a paramedic since 1983. Currently the Director of The Center for Prehospital Medicine at Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte. My workshops do not use PowerPoints and you don't sit in the classroom. I use real life scenarios and we work through them together learning on the way. We don't bring in medical equipment other than a simple first aid kit that you would have in your rig. We learn to think out side the box and use what we have on hand. If interested, I would be glad to do a workshop at a large event for those interested.

Absolutely! Whatever and whoever...i think this is an incredibly wonderful idea for the NC 4x4 community as a whole.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Back