dana 60 rear disks

jeepeater2003

hey all

i am in a bit of a pickle. i want to get some dana 60 rear disk brake brackets from great lake off road and i need them soon. saun said i need paypal and a certian kind of pay pal and i don't have the requirments for it.

I was wondering were yall got your disk brake brackets from and if you like them and what you would do differet.

also did you use the rotors and calipers off of a 75 3\4 4x4 cheby truck?

thanks
tyler

are these the ones you are talking about? or would these work?
http://www.aa-mfg.com/pdshop/shop/item.asp?itemid=10

also when i weld these on do i just put them up against the backing plate and weld them on and if so witch side?

tyler

ps. i probly could just get the peices and figure them out but it would be nice knowing a little before diving right into it. thanks

Backing Plate????? you're going disc brake? if there's a backing plate since you are converting from Drum, then you need to either need to reomve the backing plate, IF it doesn't hold the bearings in, or cut it down so you can run Discs.

then you need to measure up where on the tube you need to weld teh bracket to. you need GOOD STRAIGHT mesurements, or you'll bind your caliper nd brake pads into teh rotor. may not be the right choice for this application.. just thought I'd throw it out there.

i didn't mean backing plate. the part were the backing plate bolts up to. whatever its called

tyler

you dont need to remove the backing plate unless the brackets dont fit. there are tons of 14bff kits that leave the backing plate and some even bolt to it. granted this is a 60 we are talking about but dont waste your time with doing more than you have to. also tyler there is a guy who goes by bgreen on pirate and CK5 who has had luck using 3/4 ton front 44 mounting brackets with the bottom ground off so that it will weld to the backing plate. he then spaces out the caliper with some washers or somthing to get the correct spacing out from the axle tube. good luck on the jeep, hope to see it on the move agian. oh yea and i definantly have your old 36's on my blazer now. peace
metto

all the ones i have seen for the 60 have the backing plate removed and bolted on to were the backing plate bolts on to.
I have also heard of the 44 front mounting brackets but probly going to just try and get some bolt ons. alot easier plus i have to give my friends welder back soon so i won't have a welder.
tyler
ps. i heard u had them on your k5. also heard u were getting rid of it for another. good luck. give me a pm when ur going to ure. we can get ALOT of pp to go with us

Those AA brackets are shit. Don't waste your money. Look for a D60 bolt-on bracket kit that's at least 3/8". Stock backing plates are 1/4", but they're rolled and gusseted.

I did like Metto was talking about and used dana 44 caliper mounts cut down and welded on, dana 44 calipers and rotors, Mounts were welded on with 7018 rods and preheating the axle tube Granted mine is a 14 bolt but should work on the dana 60 also, this is where I got the idea http://www.akfabshop.com/alaskaoffroad/axle_tech.htm

730353_18_full.jpg

730353_19_full.jpg

lee thats exactly what i was talking about. how long did it take you to make them fit and how much grinding/cutting was involved?

i looked on pirate for about an hour and no luck on were to find the brackets. i went to a couple junk yards and no one had them. WERE ARE THEY.
I got everything just need to know were to find the front caliper mounting brackets.

tyler

I got mine from Great lakes on Ebay. Direct bolt up, easy as pie. VERY little grinding to do using the 3/4 tone calipers. Positioned the bleeder at 12 o'clock!

Back