Dana 35 Idea . . .

I have a '97 4 banger TJ on 33x13.50 LTBs. I toyed around with the idea of welding up the D35, knowing it will be swapped out later. But, after thinking it over, it's just a bad idea. I've never had any problems with the D35, but I treat it like a D35. I could probably make it last welded, but why bother? I can go pretty much everywhere I want to go already, so why make it even more vulnerable to breakage?

surrounding areas mostly look like vertical rock walls or vertical drop off's down the mountian in the woods. so youwould be supporting the vehicle with some new kind of jackstand that likes being on uneven rocky terrain? im doing a axle swap now at home wheels chocked (front) frame on 5 ton jackstands, just think theres the potential for severe bodily harm doing a full axle swap on the trail.

I was refering to uwharrie the first couple of sentances then the last sentance was refering to the fact that i don't know how it is at tellico because i've never been there.

rear 44's are cheap as hell anyway, just swap one in.

Reason we havn't done that yet is cause we already got a isuzu 12 bolt/waggy 44 combo that is in the process of being built to swap in, since this is my little bro's jeep he is only 14 and only can do part time work so he has like very little $$ so anythis we do or have done now is just temprary till he gets enough $$ to swap in some decent axles to wheel with

Trust me the dana 35 thing inst a long term solution it was just a why not until we swap the other axles in kinda idea

Reason we havn't done that yet is cause we already got a isuzu 12 bolt/waggy 44 combo that is in the process of being built to swap in, since this is my little bro's jeep he is only 14 and only can do part time work so he has like very little $$ so anythis we do or have done now is just temprary till he gets enough $$ to swap in some decent axles to wheel with
Trust me the dana 35 thing inst a long term solution it was just a why not until we swap the other axles in kinda idea

1) this thread is funnay as hell
2) dont polish that turd of a 35. leave it alone till u get that 12bolt under the rear. which is still not a good upgrade.
3)dont even put tha 12 bolt under it!! sell that waggy 44 which i assume is for the front?? get you a rear 44 weld it up and raise hell.
4) the HP30 up front will be fine you dont need more than 33's anyways.

1) this thread is funnay as hell
2) dont polish that turd of a 35. leave it alone till u get that 12bolt under the rear. which is still not a good upgrade.
3)dont even put tha 12 bolt under it!! sell that waggy 44 which i assume is for the front?? get you a rear 44 weld it up and raise hell.
4) the HP30 up front will be fine you dont need more than 33's anyways.

Well 33's is way to small for what were aimin for, probably something along the line of the 38.5 sx's or 37's well see so the front 30 is a no go for that

the front 44 will get moly shafts and some good ujoints to handle the larger size tires

supposedly the rear isuzu 12 bolt is much stronger then any half ton axle out there ie: waggy 44's, 10 bolts, yota's, etc. and i've been told that by alot of people on this board and pirate4x4 plus it has disc brakes and 4.56 gears stock (gonna go bigger on the gears anyway later)

leave it alone till u get that 12bolt under the rear. which is still not a good upgrade.
you must not be very familiar with the isuzu 12 bolt. it's very stout.

the dp dana 30 stock front axle will be fine with 37's or 38's... unless you lock it which there is no point for the wheeling around here and since you plan to weld or lock the rear.....

how about you keep the front axle, get an 8.8 for the rear. it'll come with 4.10's and disc brakes, and they're cheap...

the dp dana 30 stock front axle will be fine with 37's or 38's... unless you lock it which there is no point for the wheeling around here and since you plan to weld or lock the rear.....
how about you keep the front axle, get an 8.8 for the rear. it'll come with 4.10's and disc brakes, and they're cheap...

Are you suggesting he keep the D30 to run 37-38s?! WTF?! IMO, even a D44 is marginal at best with 38s. The HP D30 is better than the rear D35c, but it isn't even going to come close to holding up to 37-38s. If you're looking to run tires in that range, you're looking at a well built D44 or a D60. With either, you're looking at a lot of $$$.

Seeing your situation with very limited funds, I just don't see this being a good idea. I just don't see how you're going to be able to afford to build a reliable rig that is capable of running 37"+ tires. If I were you, at least for the time being, I'd find a D44 to swap into the rear, leave the D30 and do a budget boost + fender trimming and run 33s. You can always build bigger later when money allows.

Welded c-clip or not, you're going to break the same amount of shafts, and it's easier to replace a shaft than it is an entire axle. So your welding idea won't make the axle any better.

If you haul an axle in the back of the jeep, what if you happen to break twice in one trip?

No matter what, spare shafts pack easier.

But I give you props for thinking outside the box and trying to improve on something.

I agree man, don't waste any effort or $$$ on a D35. If you weld it up with 33s and wheel it hard (especially if it's not a 4 banger), you'll spend most of your time fixing it. The only way to make it even remotely decent is to get the Super 35 kit and that is still just a waste of $$$. For the $$$, you can easily swap in a D44 or 8.8".

Are you suggesting he keep the D30 to run 37-38s?! WTF?! IMO, even a D44 is marginal at best with 38s. The HP D30 is better than the rear D35c, but it isn't even going to come close to holding up to 37-38s. If you're looking to run tires in that range, you're looking at a well built D44 or a D60. With either, you're looking at a lot of $$$.

with his budget yea, i was saying he should wheel on the d30. if it was open, it would hold unless his driving skills were that of a 5 year old and all he did was romp the skinny pedal... but even doing that, the rear would probably break first.

i gave my dana 30 hell with 39.5" boggers for 2 years and i never had one problem out of it. open diff and 4 banger.

i haven't had any issues welding the c-clip part of my 35 shafts, and it's held great for the past month or so.

100_0859%20(Medium).jpg

i'd be afraid the shafts would snap with a d60 perched up on it :) hehe

i'd be afraid the shafts would snap with a d60 perched up on it :) hehe

i think thats a foty fo and they should hold up to it...but a 60....yeah...might be pushin it.

i just finished putting an 8.8 in my TJ for less than $300...you could easily do that in and not worry about it breaking even with 37s.

i think thats a foty fo and they should hold up to it...but a 60....yeah...might be pushin it.
i just finished putting an 8.8 in my TJ for less than $300...you could easily do that in and not worry about it breaking even with 37s.

yep it's a d44...my stands might be able to hold a 60, but i think i would keep it outside just incase the d35 shafts decided to let go.:lol:

with his budget yea, i was saying he should wheel on the d30. if it was open, it would hold unless his driving skills were that of a 5 year old and all he did was romp the skinny pedal... but even doing that, the rear would probably break first.
i gave my dana 30 hell with 39.5" boggers for 2 years and i never had one problem out of it. open diff and 4 banger.

I think 38s on a D30 is a bad idea even if it's a lawn mower engine. The weight of the 38s are going to slowly tear the D30 apart even if you aren't snapping shafts, etc. The wheel bearings are going to be toasted, the steering components aren't up to snuff for the weight and that could lead to a very dangerous situation, not to mention the brakes. D30 + 38s = bad idea

so if you broke on the trail, you are going to yank the whole axle/housing, etc and put in another one? Those suckers ain't light....? Then you will need to rebleed brakes, etc afterwards.

Sounds like a heck of a lot of work to me, even if they are free....I think I saw a D70 on here for like $150 in the for sale section? Rear axles are cheap as heck, no reason to bother with a D35 that I can think of....

Sam

Could we PLEASE just let this fucking thread die?

Back