Dana 30 LockRight Install

awa0728

Ok, I have a Lock Right Locker sitting next to me for the front Dana 30 on my 2000 TJ. I am not that mechanical and just getting into modification stuff. I have done a body lift, skid plates and a CB install, that is about it.

Here is the question...Am I crazy for thinking about doing this myself???

The instructions look pretty straight forward and I have read some tech writeups on line about these types of installs. Sounds like the biggest challenge is if I have to take the entire carrier out.

Any pointers or warnings out there???

Thanks

awa0728 said:
Ok, I have a Lock Right Locker sitting next to me for the front Dana 30 on my 2000 TJ. I am not that mechanical and just getting into modification stuff. I have done a body lift, skid plates and a CB install, that is about it.

Here is the question...Am I crazy for thinking about doing this myself???

The instructions look pretty straight forward and I have read some tech writeups on line about these types of installs. Sounds like the biggest challenge is if I have to take the entire carrier out.

Any pointers or warnings out there???

Thanks
Yes, you have to remove the stock carrier. Should be easy. If in doubt, get someone to help or take it to a pro.

If you need anything feel free to give me a shout or swing by. What gear ratio do you have?

Andy

OK, the jeep is up on blocks the diff cover is off, oil drained, axles out (only buggered up one of the six bolts, anyone have a spare?) Here is the question...How the hell do I get the carrier out safely. Kevin your writeup mentioned a chain and a jack...do I really need to go to that extreme and if I do what can I screw up???

Andy, don't go too far away from your phone tomorrow, I may just have to take you up on your offer.

Alan

I wrapped a chain around the carrier, then use a pry bar, against the diff, thru the chain. I've also put a wrench on a bottom bolt, rested against the diff, put another wrench on a top bolt, and rotate the carrier out. This all after removing the bearing caps. Be careful of your shims, you'll need to put it back together just like it came out.

awa0728 said:
OK, the jeep is up on blocks the diff cover is off, oil drained, axles out (only buggered up one of the six bolts, anyone have a spare?) Here is the question...How the hell do I get the carrier out safely. Kevin your writeup mentioned a chain and a jack...do I really need to go to that extreme and if I do what can I screw up???

Andy, don't go too far away from your phone tomorrow, I may just have to take you up on your offer.

Alan

acutally i do have a spare axle shaft bolts. u can come pick one up before i leave for tellico on firday. sent me a pm

Use the bolt and wrench method as Rob described. I have removed a lot of them this way. Watch for shims, spacers or bearing caps falling out as the carrier clears the housing. You need everything to go back where it came from.
John

We also used the bolt/wrench method and it popped right out, the rotation against the pinion natually slides it fwd.

As they said, double and TRIPLE check which shims go on which side.

Secondly...assuming you will have to remove the ring gear, make sure to MARK the ring gear against the carrier FIRST so you can put it back in the exact same spot!!!!!!

Sam

set a box or somthign to cushin the fall so when it pops out your not forced to catch it when it pops out...

also i idnt read kevins article, but if not done already use a center punch and dimple each cap on the upper end one with 1 dimple the other w/ 2 dimples and coresponding dimples on the case ... (or use a _ and | ) ive use A and a < (sideways A) what ever you want to keep the caps straght..

have fun...

Well...the carrier is out, the LOCKRIGHT is in the Carrier (yes I remembered the washers), the carrier is back in and I sealed up the diff. Now it won't disengage. I have full time front locked axles...which makes turning a bit tricky.

I am going to try to do some figure 8s and hard turns tomorrow to see if that breaks it loose. Everything looked alright in the diff so I am not sure what is happening. Any ideas or thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks

Check the pins and springs and make sure the gap in the middle is not to tight or to big. I think most are about .25 inches.

Sam(slim)

scat trax said:
If you follow directions you dont hafta take the carrier out ( WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS READ THE DIRECTIONS)

Yeah, and sometimes you do in order to pull the ring gear so you can get the cross shaft pin out smart guy.

Check to make sure you have 1 thrust washer on each side. Sounds like you may have screwed that up.

Andy

zubz said:
Yeah, and sometimes you do in order to pull the ring gear so you can get the cross shaft pin out smart guy.

Check to make sure you have 1 thrust washer on each side. Sounds like you may have screwed that up.

Andy

Yep, it depends on what gear ratio (ring gear size). I don't recall pulling the ring gear off my 4.10 CJ D30, but those brain cells could be long gone :beer:

If I remember correctly it is any ratio 3.73 and numerically higher......may start at 4.10 though

Andy

Did you put the springs in the right holes? The springs are crutial to the thing disengaging I think. With the cross pin and and the springs in it should ratchet.

I know it's been a while, but how did everything end up. I just put a LR in my D30, but haven't finished putting the axles back in yet. I did notice that the distance between my drivers was .175, .005 over spec. After I get finished I'll check it out, then maybe add a shim if needed. Did you use your factory pinion shaft or did you get the High Performance one from Powertrax? I'm using the factory one, but I plan to pull the cover at 500 miles and inspect.

The good news is the Locker works great!! Great traction on the trail, I noticed a big difference. The bad news is the Locker is locked all the time still. I think I am going to have to pull the diff cover off and see what is going on in there. But since it is not my DD it doesn't bother me that much, just no tight corners!!!

Back