Dana 20, 300 strength/weak spots?

SSWaters

Old Member
I have a T18 D20 combo right now, keep wiping the teeth off the intermediate gear on the 20 when in 4wd and goosing around. What is the weakpoint on the 300 if I put one in and put the HD outputs on it? I really like my T18 and don't really want to go the Turbo 400/NP205 route and don't want to spend $$$ to get an Atlas modded up in it (Kannapolis does things on the cheap ya'know). Or, should I just go with the SM/NP205 combo?

Are the yoke shoulders hitting when the axle drops? Weak point on D300 is the case but Stak makes a replacement.

Weak point on the D300 is the outputs and the gears. With the amount of strain on your drivetrain I would say go with the LOMAX 4:1 gearset and HD outputs on the tcase and you should be fine. Let me know if I can help you out with any of the parts.

Andy

Usually the Dana 20 and the Dana 300 are strong cases. On failures I have seen were big HP and or high mileage. As Andy said the 300 output shafts. Seen several of those break, but only when really getting on it and traction was hit and miss. I would try and plug in all the denominators of when it fails and see what ya come up with.

I put the Lomax gears and HD output on the rear only. The output shafts are the same size as a D44 pinion. I assumed you're ripping teeth because the driveshaft yokes bound up.

The D300 isnt much better that a D20. I blew thru 3 d300s in my buggy. Same crap, I would just rip the intermediate shaft splines right off. Then they would bind up and blow the case in half. My d300 had the stock output shaft too, on all 3 of them and I never broke it once - I wasnt very heavy on the throttle but I wasnt light on it either.

Thanks for the input, that's what I wanted to know if the 300 was alot stronger that a 20. I guess I'll go the SM465/NP205 route and use the sale of my T18/D20 to offset the cost of it. Novak has an adapter to go to my AMC bell for like $120 and then just buy the bigger yokes for for the 205. Still have a couple of T400's here I might use but not sure.

Back