D60/D50 help/advise....(never thought this would happen!!)

i like the dodge D60 for fact that it has 4link setup already and drivers drop...low pinion don't bother me a bit and the Disconnect is not a bother either...I broke more D30 long shafts than the short half piece so strength there didn't seem to be what most people have said, at least not in my wheeling trips!I thought I wouldn't like this D44 low pinion but it hasn't bothered me a bit and I pointed it up pretty good before welding the spring perches on.

Only the 02 and older Dodge axles are vac disconnect.

Only the 02 and older Dodge axles are vac disconnect.
oh well might get lucky but even if they are, it would be ok.

As someone mentioned, when you go d60 everything gets more expensive. And harder to find. D44 stock shafts and joints are cheap and everywhere. D60 stuff isn't as prevalent. You can get chromo shafts and Spicer joints for ~$600 or less.

I ran 2.75" BS 15" rims on my old cab truck that had a 78/79 Ford D60. It has been many years, but I'm pretty sure I had to grind both the calipers and caliper mounting brackets for them to fit. The PO had done some grinding on them for whatever rims he was running, but it wasn't enough.

This will be fun to watch. I don't doubt you will pull it off some how.
that's the spirit!! hold your horses though.....i might just stick with my current setup, buy a winch and roll cage material for now unless something happens fast with some axles cause I'm too swamped with work and stuff and trying to swap mine, do all the bracketry/geometry/lift setup on new axles and ready for july/august ride is A LOT on my plate so I'm not sure about it. Thanks for the motivation Danny!!
I wish I lived closer. I'd gladly help him with the build.
hey now, 2hrs is worth your drive for some beer and BBQ and I'm sure there's a junk yard in your area that has the axles I need :lol::lol::beer:

hey now, 2hrs is worth your drive for some beer and BBQ and I'm sure there's a junk yard in your area that has the axles I need :lol::lol::beer:
More like 3.5 mister. But either way, you have my attention at beer and BBQ. More often than not, it's your area where I find most of the good deals on axles.

I have a dodge 60(balljoint) and 70 from 2nd 3500 i have $700 front and rear......

I have a dodge 60(balljoint) and 70 from 2nd 3500 i have $700 front and rear......
WOW WOW hold the phone jack!! they are Complete as in brake to brake? if so I think we got a deal sir

More like 3.5 mister. But either way, you have my attention at beer and BBQ. More often than not, it's your area where I find most of the good deals on axles.
oh wow, didn't realize that. well lets see what I can make happen with Snappy here I'm sure my offer will stand if you (or anyone for that matter) wanted to help and have some beers and BBQ!!! (hey you can watch me "weld my magic flux" HAHA HA that so many are so intrigued about, especially on cast housings apparently that I wasn't aware of lol.)hehehe

I did some trading on 2 sets if those axles. (Customer was scraping 2 cummins trucks so snagged the axles from both). We are meeting up july 3rd for me to pick them up

I did some trading on 2 sets if those axles. (Customer was scraping 2 cummins trucks so snagged the axles from both). We are meeting up july 3rd for me to pick them up
so that means they will be complete I guess? please let me know as soon as you know if they are good/complete for trail use and if so, we will have a deal hopefully. thank you very much and unless I find some miraculous deal from now to then, it should work out! thank you sir. do you know if they are leaf sprung front, pass/drivers drop and any chance of wheels being available also (that would be pretty big help too) thank you

ok that looks perfect and very similar to my setup already so it's what I was wanting for simplicity of install and perches. thank you very much and can you guide me in the right direction of what wheels to start looking for...thanks again for all your help!!!

ok that looks perfect and very similar to my setup already so it's what I was wanting for simplicity of install and perches. thank you very much and can you guide me in the right direction of what wheels to start looking for...thanks again for all your help!!!
H1 take offs. Should be able to get bead locks with 37" mtrs or bfg baja for $500-600. They have alot of back spacing so will help keep you narrower.....

If I meet this Jack character, can I tell him it's OK to put the phone down? :lol:

H1 take offs. Should be able to get bead locks with 37" mtrs or bfg baja for $500-600. They have alot of back spacing so will help keep you narrower.....
ur talking about the military type rims that I've see for sale on here...the 16.5" that are common with 37s and they are factory 8lug with factory beadlocks? wouldn't that be a dream come true to have bead locks as well with axles like these. thank you and keep me posted. as of right now, money is getting stashed away and on hold for these!
You Sir have made my Day!!! :beer::)

ur talking about the military type rims that I've see for sale on here...the 16.5" that are common with 37s and they are factory 8lug with factory beadlocks? wouldn't that be a dream come true to have bead locks as well with axles like these. thank you and keep me posted. as of right now, money is getting stashed away and on hold for these!
You Sir have made my Day!!! :beer::)

When looking at/for hummer wheels, make sure they have the inserts/runflats in them. Without them you just have a 2 piece 16.5, which is worse than a std steel 15/17.

I'm running a Dodge CAD 60 in front of my ranger. You can lock the CAD collar in place and shouldn't have any issues strength wise. I would recommend welding the axle tubes and CAD housing and throw a truss over it. The H1 wheels should work well for you and keep it a little narrower as long as you keep the factory style unit bearings. I switched to Ford outers so I could run lockouts and at that point recentered the wheels to keep the hub protected. As mentioned, make sure to get the wheel inserts or plan on spending $50+ per wheel for pvc inserts.

It will definitely be less expensive to stick with what you have now though and upgrade to chromos and good joints. And for 37's you will most likely be fine (just get warrantied shafts). To do the 60s, on top of the axles themselves, you will need: Links, joints, brackets, driveshafts, brake master cylinder, wheels, tires, lockers, gears, steering, etc...

well besides being stupid busy with work and rv and other stuff....had some time today to make a decision on the jeep and for now I'm gonna stick with my setup for now anyways as it does work really good and can handle some pretty good wheeling and has taken me places never thought before. I bought some cheap Pro Comp MT 35s, going to buy a winch within few weeks and that alone will put me further ahead than I was before I sold the 35 thornbirds. Jeep should handle beating much better with these Pro Comp mts since they aren't nothing compared to those grooved thorns I was running so between a much milder mt and a winch, I guess I can have a lot more fun with it and not be limited to what trails I try!
The customer who wants my axles is in no hurry either for them and will wait until I'm ready to do my swap so that makes it much easier on my end.
Thanks to all for the advise and at least from this thread, I am much better equipped with some knowledge of 1ton swap when finally ready to do so. @snappy , sorry I won't be taking those axles off your hands however thank you very much for the offer...Great Price for the set!!

Man you should be able to get into some 05 up superduty axles for less than $800. The 05 up is a super 60 and has factory 35 spline outers and a bigger ring gear than a normal dana 60 and the rear would be a 10.5". I would bet you could beat the crap outta them for a long long time and never worry about breaking them with 39s or smaller tires. plus driver side drop like you need

Man you should be able to get into some 05 up superduty axles for less than $800. The 05 up is a super 60 and has factory 35 spline outers and a bigger ring gear than a normal dana 60 and the rear would be a 10.5". I would bet you could beat the crap outta them for a long long time and never worry about breaking them with 39s or smaller tires. plus driver side drop like you need

Only the 10 lug ones f450s have the 10" ring gear to making it a super 60.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back