cutting axle tubes?

Most I've seen are cut at the end of the axle.. If you cut it near the diff, how are you going to re-attach tubes? Certainly not butt-welded, right?

If you are referring to your dodge dana 44, why? Grind off the outer C's and put the more common style outer C's on it so you can run spindles with lock out hubs, better yet yank the whole axle out and throw it in the garbage and find a real axle to put under it. Everything about the dodge dana 44 is ass backwards and messing with it is just polishing a turd (ask me how i know) and why do you have so many post about basicly the same question just in a different way?

Rich said:
If you cut it near the diff, how are you going to re-attach tubes? Certainly not butt-welded, right?

No what I was gonner do was shove a slightly smaled piece o pipe in dar and sleeve it dat way then when the shafts hit I'll grindem down sum, Finally just to make sure its all secure an all Ill Ubolt a 4x4 across the top of the pumkin... outta be gud as new

Sorry guys, having a real shitty day at work and just couldnt resist slammin on this one....

Lee said:
If you are referring to your dodge dana 44, why? Grind off the outer C's and put the more common style outer C's on it so you can run spindles with lock out hubs, better yet yank the whole axle out and throw it in the garbage and find a real axle to put under it. Everything about the dodge dana 44 is ass backwards and messing with it is just polishing a turd (ask me how i know) and why do you have so many post about basicly the same question just in a different way?

No i wasnt refering to the Dodge axle, Im plannin on swappin it out completely. I have friends with Scouts, Jeeps, and Chevys, and are researching thnigs for them as well. I was just researching ideas to use some things we have lyin around. A buddy was just wonderin if you could change a DS drop to PS drop and vise-versa?

paradisePWoffrd said:
No i wasnt refering to the Dodge axle, Im plannin on swappin it out completely. I have friends with Scouts, Jeeps, and Chevys, and are researching thnigs for them as well. I was just researching ideas to use some things we have lyin around. A buddy was just wonderin if you could change a DS drop to PS drop and vise-versa?

You can do it, but you will have to burn out the current plugs, machine/press tubes back in, and weld it up with an alignment jig. Might want to just build a 60 by the time you have all that into it.....

Not an easy "swap the tubes" but the work can be done.

Andy

If you just want to switch it from passenger drop to driver's drop...just flip the axle! If it was a low pinion, it'll be a high pinion axle now too! You might not want to do this if it was high pinion be4 though. Only problem is your tires will be upside down now...just have to rotate them though.

Or you can do it the hard way like andy said, arc-gouge the plug welds out and then press the tubes out. Or if you have a stupidly large press, no need to even deal with the welds...

zubz said:
You can do it, but you will have to burn out the current plugs, machine/press tubes back in, and weld it up with an alignment jig. Might want to just build a 60 by the time you have all that into it.....

Not an easy "swap the tubes" but the work can be done.

Andy

So you couldnt just cut the tubes and flip the diff around then weld it back with reinfocements?

You can do whatever you want.....just depends on how stupid it is.

Just spend the money to have housing built with tubes/knuckles you want, etc.

Andy

Back