Cushioned ball mounts vs. regular.. experiences?

Rich

Asshole at large
So with the new truck, I need a new ball mount in a 4" drop.

I was just gonna get this, with is the 4" forged drop.. I have the 6" now, and it's a big, heavy, solid mofo..

10,000lb cap, 1,000lb tongue weight.. forged, 1 piece.
awww.northerntool.com_images_product_images_330436_lg.gif

But there's also this for basically the same price, and it makes sense to have a little give between the 2 pieces to absorb some of the shock.. might makes things a little smoother. I do already have a dedicated ground in my 7-way plug, I was just thinking that it probably wouldn't allow for a good ground path at all..

6000lb cap, 600lbs tongue..
awww.northerntool.com_images_product_images_3377824_lg.gif

My total trailer weight when loaded is right around 6,000lbs.. maybe a tad less, and of course, 90% of people I've seen bumper pulling use this welded style, and many are well over that rating.. (Don't even mention RB's 10" drop that bent, there's so many reasons that is wrong.. :lol: )

So anyone ever use one of these?

A former truck I had had a bumper with a built in load absorber ( three coil springs fore and aft) worked well, but was noisy, rattled a lot.
used it with several different type trailers, the load absorbsion was nice for a trailer with surge brake, took a lot of the shock load out of the ride.

As for welded VS forged, I seen the welded ones take some abuse, don't recall that I've ever seen a COMMERCIALLY made mount actually fail, bend, yes.

i've got an air ride hitch on my toterhome that fits in a 2" reciever, and it seems to make a big difference. it's big and heavy though, i'd hate to be taking it on/off with any frequency.

i've always heard the type pictured are pretty useless though.

Back