cummins vs PSD

And one more thing. I don't know why people think the fords have a higher resale value. Just look at any of the older dodges. Still over 20k for trucks that are 7 or 8 years old. I saw a 2005 F250 6.0 Crew Cab Lariat with 40k miles for 25,900 in the paper last week. My dodge is still worth more than I paid for it over a year ago.

It also costs a lot less for aftermarket parts when you get into things like injectors. The cummins is much easier to work on and much more reliable, stock, and after adding on parts. I have a few things done to my truck and I haven't found a PS that can even come close to outrunning or outpulling me.

Dang people (some of you), it is a CUMMINS, not CUMMINGS. I don't own a Dodge, but if you don't know what kind of engine it is, how much could you possibly know about it?

Richard, I had to go to Clayton TN (just above Knoxville) to get my truck. Luckily some people from my church were heading out to Chattanooga to take some stuff to their son in college, so I rode out with them. It is VERY hard to find a 6 spd (in the PSD at least) in good condition. Like I said, mine is a 99' and had 67,000 on it, so 50K would probably be possible in a slightly newer truck. Good luck finding something, whatever it may be.

i will say that stock a cummings will outpull the powerstroke but with just a few minor upgrades that dodge doesnt stand a chance...

Are you serious?
A modified PSD will walk the dog on a stock Cummins...No Shit...

If you are talking mod for mod, you are out of your mind...
You can wake up a Cummins like a slap to a sleeping dragon and make them run like an ass raped gorilla for considerably cheaper than a PSD...

Are you serious?
A modified PSD will walk the dog on a stock Cummins...No Shit...
If you are talking mod for mod, you are out of your mind...
You can wake up a Cummins like a slap to a sleeping dragon and make them run like an ass raped gorilla for considerably cheaper than a PSD...

First you are walking a dog, then slapping dragons, now it is down to raping gorilla's. You must be a big guy :) Any other animals you want to beat up? :flipoff2:

Also be sure if the Dodge is a 98.5 or 99 24 valve its not a 53 block. Imperfections in the manufacturing process made them be prone to cracking. Just an FYI

Here's an example for you. I was pricing injectors for a friend of mine and a set of injectors around 100 hp for the 7.3 were $2450. The same horsepower for a dodge is less than $1000, depending on what year the dodge is. Dollar for dollar and mod for mod, you can't make a PS touch a Cummins.

It is Cummins, No G in there, and Ford does not own any portion of Cummins, I don't care what your friend from the Ford dealership told you.

And if it is a 53 block it will have it stamped on the side of it.

Here's an example for you. I was pricing injectors for a friend of mine and a set of injectors around 100 hp for the 7.3 were $2450. The same horsepower for a dodge is less than $1000, depending on what year the dodge is. Dollar for dollar and mod for mod, you can't make a PS touch a Cummins..

This is true, but what's the price on an injection pump for the Cummins vs. the PSD? It almost evens out.

But I'll agree 100% with the last sentence.

As someone whos paychecks are signed by Cummins, I can assure you that Ford has no ownership rights to Cummins.

Honestly given profit margins recently Id say the opposite is closer to being even feasible :flipoff2:

BUT Ford and Cummins do have a partnership in which Ford supplies engines for certain smaller gaseous generator applications and cummins supplies a limited number of engines for (road) tractor applications.

But the Dodge Cummins partnership is a raving success, it is doubtful that either will be jumping off the gravy train very soon. Even though Cummins has signed an agreement to be the exclusive supplier for Bluebird buses and Ford DOES have a stake in that company...

Now back to the regualrly scheduled bench race session

Another consideration if you're looking at the 03-05 Dodges is the power output/fuel economy. The 03-early 04 trucks are 305hp/555tq with no cats and great mpg(I get 19-20,ymmv) and the 04.5-05 trucks are 325hp/600-610tq with cats and other emissions restrictions. This results in slightly less mpg, usually 16-18.

And in 05 they started the switch from the NV5600 to the G56. May just be personal preference but most seem to prefer the older NV5600 although parts for them are now becoming a little hard to find.

And speaking from experience losing the cat doesn't help mileage enough to be noticeable on a 04.5 and newer truck. I have the G56 tranny and it does shift a lot easier than the NV5600 and reverse is in a more convenient location. Some do not like it because of it's aluminum case compared to the NV5600's iron case. I have only heard of a few being broke though and they were sled pulling. There are also two different motors in 03. There was a SO (Standard Output) I believe was 235 hp and I'm not sure on torque, and HO (High Output) 305 hp, 555 tq, and in 04.5 and newer all motors were 325 hp and 600 or 610 tq.

I have an 03 6speed Cummins HO with 4.10 gear, with intake, 4" straight exhaust and Quadzilla race module and i get 23mpg on the highway with a lot of power anytime i want it. We also have a 03 6.0 excursion and i def prefer the Dodge.

Just my opinion. I have a 2004 F-350 with the 6.0L running Edge Juice Platinum with 315 BFG's. I bought it new, and it now has 53k miles. I tow a 30ft. gooseneck with it, hauling one of several tractors + a skidloader, my jeep and my brothers cruiser, or up to 20 round bales of hay, and it's my daily driver. I love my PSD. It pulls great, even with the 315's, loaded to the hilt. I get 16 mpg regularly, hand calculated, with a mix of city/hwy during the week. Best mpg was 19 - almost all hwy, heading to ECU for a weekend.
However, I have had problems with it - all covered under warranty so far. I have had 2 EGR valves replaced, one of which left me limping into Shelby on the way to Tellico at 6:30am on a Saturday morning. And I have had the PCM replaced. Am I happy with it? Yes. Have I been frustrated with it? YES. Do I think it's as reliable as a Cummins? No. Would I buy a Ford again? Maybe. But I'd look ALOT harder at the Dodge. The truth is, I just plain like the Ford truck. I really like the TorqShift tranny as well.
My brother has a 2005 F-350, and just had a set of headgaskets replaced under warranty - but we had ARP studs put back in place of the crappy factory 'bolts'. He shouldn't have any problems out of the heads now, and he's ready for some cool mods.

- Mac

BUT Ford and Cummins do have a partnership in which Ford supplies engines for certain smaller gaseous generator applications and cummins supplies a limited number of engines for (road) tractor applications.
Ford does not make road tractors. Ford's large truck div. is now Sterling, which is owned by DC. who also owns detroit deisel, frieghtliner, westernstar, dodge, jeep.......Maybe thet'll start putting MB diesels in Dodges:shaking: they have been pushing them hard over dd in freightliners.

I heard about that, glad my buddy James could get you fixed up.

Travis -

Yeah, James is the man. I walked into the service department that morning when they unlocked the door, and they told me that they wouldn't even be able to look at it until Monday. James walked up and said, "where are you boys heading?" I said, "Murphy" - assuming that nobody there knew where Tellico was. James said - "you boys heading to Tellico? Pull it on in!" :driver: I couldn't have been happier, and I knew it was in good hands. He even offered to drive to Murphy if we had any other problems there. He's the best diesel tech around for the PSD's in my opinion. I won't let anyone else touch it.

Travis -
Yeah, James is the man. I walked into the service department that morning when they unlocked the door, and they told me that they wouldn't even be able to look at it until Monday. James walked up and said, "where are you boys heading?" I said, "Murphy" - assuming that nobody there knew where Tellico was. James said - "you boys heading to Tellico? Pull it on in!" :driver: I couldn't have been happier, and I knew it was in good hands. He even offered to drive to Murphy if we had any other problems there. He's the best diesel tech around for the PSD's in my opinion. I won't let anyone else touch it.

James is as good as they come, if you'd have needed him to come to Murphy, he would have dropped whatever he was doing and headed that way. Its nice to run across people, mechanics especially, that actually care. He told me about when you came in, glad it worked out for you.

I have no love for the MB diesels in the frightliners. Give me a S60 or a N14. The way DC is pushing the MB diesel it might be found in a dodge in the future.

Sam(slim)

I heard rumors they were going to do away with the MB and the series 60 and just come out with one since ownership is same for both companies in the future. This coming from a buddy that works on the MB and s60 for covington diesel. I would hate to see dodge get away from the cummins, just hope the new one will be as good and around as long as the 5.9 was.

Contrary to many published reports, the "new" one isnt "new"....

It will be fine.

Has been pretty trouble free since around 98 ;)

Had a 6.0, loved it for a while, and then it stayed in the shop more than on the road. 7.3's are great, and cummins are great.

I heard rumors they were going to do away with the MB and the series 60 and just come out with one since ownership is same for both companies in the future. This coming from a buddy that works on the MB and s60 for covington diesel. I would hate to see dodge get away from the cummins, just hope the new one will be as good and around as long as the 5.9 was.
There has been a lot of rumors lately about dodge and cummins parting ways but from what dodge says there are no plans for that. Quote from dodge "we know how much our customers like the cummins engine and we plan on staying with it". But who knows.

Back