Cummins HE351/HT3B Twins Build

got the heater hose changed out for some good oil resistant hose. here are the DONE pix:

got the intercooler pipe tacked and ready to be welded:
ai426.photobucket.com_albums_pp345_stevewes2004_Twins_IMG_1181.jpg

checking fitment:
ai426.photobucket.com_albums_pp345_stevewes2004_Twins_IMG_1186.jpg

my itty bitty cold air intake:
ai426.photobucket.com_albums_pp345_stevewes2004_Twins_IMG_1187.jpg

cleaned, painted, DONE!
ai426.photobucket.com_albums_pp345_stevewes2004_Twins_IMG_1188.jpg

ai426.photobucket.com_albums_pp345_stevewes2004_Twins_IMG_1189.jpg

ai426.photobucket.com_albums_pp345_stevewes2004_Twins_IMG_1190.jpg

i just got a chance to drive it around the block and it is such a dream to drive. spools lightning fast!! haven't been able to take it up to full boost yet but hopefully i'll have a vid or two later on.

that is beautiful looking man so wish i had a cummins

Looks good. Why didnt you move the air filter farther up towards the fenderwell? I would think that far down, it would suck in more hot air from the motor.

twins run really cool anyways, and i just did that for simplicity. plus i have room for an air compressor now:lol:

Looks good! If you don't mind, how much do you think you have in the setup?

well i sold my silver 62 turbo, downpipe, and cold air intake for 1600 total. i bought parts and turbos for this build plus a new 5" exhaust with that money and i haven't even sold my 4" exhaust yet. so in the 14-1500 range. after running this setup, i wouldnt give you 1000 bucks for that single.

Its really hard to take a good video and drive a manual truck at the same time so bare with me. The first video is amusing b/c my truck cuts off right in front of a big intersection!! I had to get pulled into a parking lot so i could crank her back up with starting fluid. Not sure what happened but it runs fine now. You can see that it spools really good on the bottom end. If i were to shift through the gears like this with the 62 i had, i would barely see boost in 2nd and 3rd gears, where now i can build 30+ psi in 3rd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MRzQbAIyV4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm4xqd2i7cQ

yea i will try to within the next few months. i dont know how good it will read b/c my clutch slips about 50% of the time.

As a Dodge owner the first thing I noticed was the wandering wheel, lol. Looks as though it turned out nice, what clutch are you running now?

I wish my truck spooled that quick between shifts...

yea it shifts a lot quicker than my silver 62

As a Dodge owner the first thing I noticed was the wandering wheel, lol. Looks as though it turned out nice, what clutch are you running now?

haha yep. thats the only thing i dont like about this truck is the steering. im running a southbend CON OFE with extra slippage:lol:

new HD 1 ton steering and a borgeson steering shaft and steering brace will make it all go away. I can get you some part numbers if you want. or search pavementsucks.com its been posted there 1000 times.

OK, this might sound dumb...I know you're on a budget, but why would you reuse the stock headgasket and bolts and just drive on "borrowed time"? How do you know your borrowed time won't expire before you get a better solution? I would be nervous about that happening to the truck, especially if it's a DD.

new HD 1 ton steering and a borgeson steering shaft and steering brace will make it all go away. I can get you some part numbers if you want. or search pavementsucks.com its been posted there 1000 times.

sweet, i'll check it out. i'd love to get rid of the horrible steering manners this truck has.

OK, this might sound dumb...I know you're on a budget, but why would you reuse the stock headgasket and bolts and just drive on "borrowed time"? How do you know your borrowed time won't expire before you get a better solution? I would be nervous about that happening to the truck, especially if it's a DD.

well an untampered stock gasket is really strong, and a lot of guys are having luck with retorquing the factory bolts and pushing 55+psi. i havent done that yet so thats why i say im on borrowed time. factory bolts should be fine if torqued to ~125ft-lbs since im only pushing ~48psi max, as long as they dont stretch. i also let my truck FULLY warm up before pushing >10psi, and that is critical also. some guys i know, go out there and put the hammer down when the motor is cold.

and yea it does worry me a little bit, but this is not my DD, and im not really one to mash the skinny pedal all the time. my clutch also slips pretty bad so that keeps the boost down too :lol:

Back