CTD Ram, sluggish response at take off

drkelly

Dipstick who put two vehicles on jack stands
Here is the rig: 2001 Dodge Ram CTD, 226,000 miles, 100% stock

Problem: When taking off from a stop or slow speed (rounding a typical 90 degree turn), the truck makes very little power. The boost gauge shows about zero to almost zero pressure. After a few seconds (2-3 seconds maybe) of holding the throttle down, the truck will somewhat suddenly start moving like normal with boost pressure showing on the gauge. This is NOT an intermittent problem. It is constant. The truck starts up just like normal when cold or hot. Once boost pressure is up, and if I run the rpm’s up high in each gear before shifting, I can shift through the gears all the way up to full highway speed with no problems and good power.

About 2 years ago, the truck started a very slight ‘cutting off’ type feeling under constant speed throttle conditions of around 45-60mph. I did some research and found the APPS to be a highly suggested possible cause of this problem. I thought about replacing it with the unit from Geno’s Garage, but have not done so since the problem is very minor and doesn’t happen all the time.

APPS part from Geno’s
http://www.genosgarage.com/AFTERMARKET-APPS-THROTTLE-POSITION-SENSOR-985-04/productinfo/TPS98502/

CEL is NOT on.

FASS pump was installed approximately 6 yrs ago.

Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks,
Danny

Reset your apps, worked for me in a similar situation. Haven't had that problem since.

Well, this problem still exists, but I only drive the truck about once every two weeks, and have not been doing any towing. I reset the APPS back in early-mid April and it didn't help. The CEL came on a few days ago. I got the following codes: P1693 and P0237. The P0237 is a faulty MAP sensor. I guess I'm going to check it out.

I don't own a scan tool. I did the key on-off-on-off-on trick to retreive the codes. I do own a multimeter.

Boy do I feel stupid for leaving this problem alone for so long. The neighbor lady's son was over visiting for Labor day weekend. He had a loose fuel pressure sensor or something on his Duramax, and needed to borrow some tools. I loaned him what he needed, then we got to talking about my Ram. I told him about the MAP sensor code. He said I should remove it and spray it out with some brake cleaner. I was skeptical, despite reading that same recommendation on the internet a few weeks ago. I am such a pessimist, I had convinced myself that the MAP sensor code was still going to somehow lead me to a failed injection pump. It fixed the problem though! My truck now runs like new. The problem was fixed for free, and about 15 minutes or less of my time.

Back