craigslist scam?

jonnyB

i got this email about my wheels and tires for sale on craigslist. i emailed him back and perty much told him off, what do you think about it?
"i am interested in purchasing the above mentioned and i am ok with the asking price. I am glad it is sill available for sale. Please provide me with your name and address and phone number for payment. I am only able to make payment by money order at this time b/c i am away on assignment. It will be nice if you can send me more pictures , if not its ok. It will take about 7days for payment to get to you. As per pick-up, I will make arrangement for the pick-up after payment has been received by you. I don't mind adding thirty dollars so you can keep it in my favor.Please take the posting off craigslist today and consider it sold to me.
Expecting to hear from you soon.
Regards
C.Castello"

As per pick-up, I will make arrangement for the pick-up after payment has been received by you.

Unless the dude is trying to sell a similar item and wants it off CL to keep competition away... I can't see how he can scam you if you get paid first.

This is a scam. I have done research on this before. Because my mom had a add in the local news paper and they used TTY to call her and then sent the same type of email because he said he was more comfortable communicating thru email. She got the same type of email and she called me to ask the same question. They send a fake money order, and then come pickup the item. Then you go to cash the money order and it does not go thru and then you are left without your item, and then you are left with paying the bank fees for this also.

^^^ x2 on this.
You should always be way of any email/contact that does not specifically mention the item for sale by name, or at least ask a question that is directly related to it. E.g., teh above email could be used for ANY item for sale.

yeah, thats what i thought. and i perty much let him know about it when i replyed to the email. thanks for the reassurance

^^ x 2

i've gotten many of these. the scam is them trying to get your contact info....phone number, address etc etc

they are always from a foreign country too and the emails are always very similar.

if you post anything on craigslist, especially vehicles....you are bound to receive emails like that...

and emailing wont do anything, they just move onto the next person. stupid nigerians!

It is a scam.
Play along, they will send you a bogus ass money order and add $150 to the sale price, you ar supposed to deposit it and give the $100 ($50 for you) to whoever comes to pick it up. Beat the hell out o this person who shows up, they are behind it.

YMMV

I get these all the time from craigslist.. I always put on there "will deal in person only".

They will sometimes respond to email, but you will find they are from pretty far away, if even in the country.

Unless they are willing to pay in greenbacks in person, tell them where to go.

I got these emails also. I am so surprised peopel get away with them, just because the grammar in the emails is just not how a real person really talks. I can understand sending a letter that is proper, but that one right there would totally raise a red flag.

I got these emails also. I am so surprised peopel get away with them, just because the grammar in the emails is just not how a real person really talks. I can understand sending a letter that is proper, but that one right there would totally raise a red flag.

While I agree with you on "grammar in the emails is just not how a real person really talks", I've had PMs and email from people on this very board with equally poor English...

Back