Coyote managment

kaiser715

Doing hard time
I'll have to read the rest of this tomorrow, I did hear last year that a study on fort bragg showed one female brought 40 some fawns to her den/pups in less than 2 months. They are decimating everything from frogs, box turtles to deer. What I've read so far seems to be the state rationalizing why they don't not want to pay money for a bounty.

I like the "percieved dangers" . They are eating everything in their path.
THAT is not a perception. This crap comes from the desk .... boots on the ground know the truth.
Why can't we get normal human beings in places of importance. SMH

Matt

dont care what that dribble from Raleigh desk says. on my land if you claim you saw a coyote during a hunt session and I didnt hear you empty your clip then you dont get to come back. kill them all and then then shoot them again.

all they need to do is go out at dusk and listen after a fire truck goes by to know how prevalent they are.

One of my old roommates did a study on the quail plantation he runs in southern Georgia. They high fenced 100 square acres eliminated all predators and the did a comparison study with the deer survival rate outside the fence. 1 in 10 fawns made it outside the fence 8 in 10 made it inside the fence. It was a 6 year study and it was the same result every year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my land if you claim you saw a coyote during a hunt session and I didnt hear you empty your clip then you dont get to come back. kill them all and then then shoot them again.

all they need to do is go out at dusk and listen after a fire truck goes by to know how prevalent they are.

Same where I get to hunt, only animal I'll take a wounding or running shot on...killing 1 coyote will save several deer in the following years.

Shot one with my crossbow that was stalking 2 fawns, land owner thanked me and later went out and shot 4 more that month.
Also, had a pack start howling when an ambulance passed with the sirens going...talk about hair raising goose bumps!

I've heard, that if you have a butcher nearby that will sell you pig blood by the gallon. That if you cut up natural sponges into roughly 2x2x2 chunks and soak them in the blood and then throw them about the property, they will decimate a coyote herd in days.

Now sponging is illegal in SC and certainly painful and torturous to these animals so I'd never do it. But I do know for a fact that a bunch of dead coyote will stink up a farm for about a month. Not even the buzzards will eat the foul vermin

I was participating in that Candid Critters Program (wildlife camera trapping) this past year and and caught pics of 3 of em in Wake county, so I suspect they're pretty much everywhere these days. I've never seen one in the daylight...always at night.

Honestly, when it comes to deer hunting, loss of deer habitat has me a helluva lot more concerned than the number of coyotes, everywhere you look some developer is clearing another 5-25 acres for some BS McMansion subdivision with a trendy little name in some casual reference to the wildlife that used to live there.

Anyway , I don't think we need to exterminate coyotes, but there should be a season (trapping & hunting) to keep the population on control.

Anyway , I don't think we need to exterminate coyotes, but there should be a season (trapping & hunting) to keep the population on control.

Pretty sure there is a season for hunting and trapping them.

Jan1-Dec31

I ran four juveniles off our property around 2 in the afternoon back in September. I'd been hearing them at night for a couple of weeks, usually after the sirens from the fire station. I saw one out the back window and went out to make a bunch of noise. By the time I walked around the north end of the house there were four. I say juvenile because they were unaware of my presence until I started making noise. Old lady neighbor throws out old food and I told her that was attracting them. Instead of just putting shit in the trash can the night before or morning of pick up like normal people, they paid a guy to clear a 15' swath of English ivy behind their house. :rolleyes:

I was participating in that Candid Critters Program (wildlife camera trapping) this past year and and caught pics of 3 of em in Wake county, so I suspect they're pretty much everywhere these days. I've never seen one in the daylight...always at night.

Honestly, when it comes to deer hunting, loss of deer habitat has me a helluva lot more concerned than the number of coyotes, everywhere you look some developer is clearing another 5-25 acres for some BS McMansion subdivision with a trendy little name in some casual reference to the wildlife that used to live there.

Coyote are not indigenous to the Carolinas. Their natural predators are wolves (which we've already exterminated) large cats (which we've already exterminated) and humans.

You need to do triple duty, kill everyone you see.

Last edited:
Can if you don't get caught haha

True, and I may or may not have trapped year around before. But now I’m friends with all the game wardens in my county and the surrounding counties and believe it or not they can get people they like access to a lot of property no one else has a chance of getting.

They also let me know where they find grouse when they are patrolling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Between the fox and coyotes, I haven't seen a quail or rabbit around my house in years. As far as I'm concerned, let's kill them with fire! Not sure who thought it was a good idea to bring them back here, but they should have their toe nails ripped off and salted.

Meh. I shoot coyotes when I see them but I don't feel like they are a real detriment to the deer population from what I can tell. I always thought I was helping the quail and turkey populations though. I found the studys they cited about quail abd turkey populations interesting. I never would have thought of it that way. I feel like they are somewhat taking the natural place of cougars and wolves so they don't bother me to the point that I think people should.be paid to hunt them. But then again I don't think the .gov should be paying people for anything.

Coyote are not indigenous to the Carolinas. Their natural predators are wolves (which we've already exterminated) large cats (which we've already exterminated) and humans.

You need to do triple duty, kill everyone you see.
The red wolves and panthers are still around. Wildlife may not admit it but large cats are still around, I was told they did not exist but if I shot one I would be in deep shit.

The red wolves and panthers are still around. Wildlife may not admit it but large cats are still around, I was told they did not exist but if I shot one I would be in deep shit.

Get one on camera and you'll have something. I read an article in garden and gun a while back about cougars possibly still being in Tn. Pretty neat. I have a wildlife in nc magazine from the early 1960s that has an article about all the cougar sightings back then even though they were officially extinct.

Get one on camera and you'll have something. I read an article in garden and gun a while back about cougars possibly still being in Tn. Pretty neat. I have a wildlife in nc magazine from the early 1960s that has an article about all the cougar sightings back then even though they were officially extinct.

This is Lincoln County a couple of years ago...

Last edited:
Rise in coyote sightings have Alexander Co. neighbors on edge
My home county. Sightings in neighborhoods and such. Davie Co. Now my home has plenty also. I saw a large dark coat on a hill silhouetted by the morning sun just the other week. The deer on the 200 acres on either side of me and the nearly 400 acres of neighboring properties have been cleaned out. I haven't saw a rabbit ever...or droppings. In the last 2 years the yelping has quieted. The yotes migrate following food. I'm surprised like in the article family pets haven't went missing. Only thing that helps our pets is we are outside a lot.

I see coyotes almost once a month driving home from class around 10pm. This is on the edge of the city limits no more than a mile
From our house.

We hear them almost nightly as behind our neighborhood is a large area of woods that connect to even more woods that’s all in the county.

Talking of big cats, my wife had what she said was a very large cat run out in front of her while driving near our house. Middle of the day so wasn't dark. Said it was all black and BIG, like the size of Sarge (he is 100lbs). Our two boys saw it too.

Oh the times you wish you had a dash cam...

Here's a good size one that was 100 feet from the house last spring , the deer hang out here often .
05290197.JPG

Back