Cordless tools

I forgot this tool and it's great too.View attachment 414848View attachment 414849
I also like that the blue tools can use the green batteries.
That was the one thing that kept me with them for as long as I have, Yelow and Red abandon their initial followers when they changed battery design, Ryobi pledged to maintain their battery to be backward compatable.
I'll have the cake, and eat it too.

I'm a red man, through and through.... but when my wife showed some interest in cordless tools..... of course Ryobi with their color and variety of tool offerings piqued her interest.

So now I have Milwaukee in my garage, and she has a growing set of Ryobi tools in the house that I use (often).

I really wish they would just go to an ISO standard and be done with it. Imagine being able to just grab a Ryobi battery because your Milwaukee one died. Or borrowing your buddies Dewalt saw and dropping in your fresh charged Bosch battery. They are already all the same voltage and general design, its just the different mount.

Because the batteries is where they get ya.
They’ll sell you a 10 piece tool set with two 1/2 amp hour batteries knowing you are probably going to need bigger ones. Then two batteries cost as much as all the tools did.
Another reason I went with Ryobi. I can buy a 2 pack of 4AH batteries from Home depot for under $100 during Ryobi days. Sometimes they will throw in a cheap tool. Last time I picked up a dual voltage LED work light for free with the 2 pack of batteries at $90.

Because the batteries is where they get ya.
They’ll sell you a 10 piece tool set with two 1/2 amp hour batteries knowing you are probably going to need bigger ones. Then two batteries cost as much as all the tools did.
Oh I understand the reasons. They like to lock you in. Thats why I probably have thousands of dollar of just red stuff. But they aren't always the best. I'd like to be able to buy whatever is THE best battery and THE best tool and put them together.

Another reason I went with Ryobi. I can buy a 2 pack of 4AH batteries from Home depot for under $100 during Ryobi days. Sometimes they will throw in a cheap tool. Last time I picked up a dual voltage LED work light for free with the 2 pack of batteries at $90.
Are you getting good service life out of the batteries? And then the real question is will you continue to? When I was doing a deep dive on outdoor power tools a year or two ago, now that Ryobi is essentially the store brand for Home Depot, the Ryobi stuff had switched from Korean battery cells to Chinese, and people were seeing a lot more DOA and short service life situations.

My half dozen Milwaukee 4.0ah batteries from 2013 are still going strong. Yet I'm on 9.0ah number 3 in about 7 years :rolleyes: (but they did phase that one out and replace with an 8.0 or 12.0 option because the 9.0 was problematic).

Are you getting good service life out of the batteries? And then the real question is will you continue to? When I was doing a deep dive on outdoor power tools a year or two ago, now that Ryobi is essentially the store brand for Home Depot, the Ryobi stuff had switched from Korean battery cells to Chinese, and people were seeing a lot more DOA and short service life situations.

My half dozen Milwaukee 4.0ah batteries from 2013 are still going strong. Yet I'm on 9.0ah number 3 in about 7 years :rolleyes: (but they did phase that one out and replace with an 8.0 or 12.0 option because the 9.0 was problematic).
I have had a couple of DOA's in the 2AH batteries that HD replaced. The majority of my 4AH batteries are 6-8 years old and still fine. I very rarely use the 2AH batteries for anything except the work or flashlight.

I really wish they would just go to an ISO standard and be done with it. Imagine being able to just grab a Ryobi battery because your Milwaukee one died. Or borrowing your buddies Dewalt saw and dropping in your fresh charged Bosch battery. They are already all the same voltage and general design, its just the different mount.
I do have an adapter to fit a Milwaukee battery to my Ryobi stuff, one going the other way would be rather large and inconvenient

I think I’ve got 7ryobi 4ah batteries 2 2ah for vacuum and emergency light , one 6pk charger 2 regular “fast” chargers
4 5ah Milwaukee M18, 4 M12 1.5ah 1 4ah 3 M12 charger, 2 dual volt M12/18 charger

Gotta watch the sales, sometime buying a tool that might be useful makes the purchase of more batteries and or chargers a sweet deal. M12 screw driver (non impact) was $99 2 batteries a charger and a huge bit set, well worth the coin. I use the screw driver all the time, especially with hex drive Allen bits for machine disassembly. My wrists are happy now.

I think I’ve got 7ryobi 4ah batteries 2 2ah for vacuum and emergency light , one 6pk charger 2 regular “fast” chargers
4 5ah Milwaukee M18, 4 M12 1.5ah 1 4ah 3 M12 charger, 2 dual volt M12/18 charger

Gotta watch the sales, sometime buying a tool that might be useful makes the purchase of more batteries and or chargers a sweet deal. M12 screw driver (non impact) was $99 2 batteries a charger and a huge bit set, well worth the coin. I use the screw driver all the time, especially with hex drive Allen bits for machine disassembly. My wrists are happy now.
There's a reason I have 3 Milwaukee grinders now, haha. Home depot had the grinder plus 2 5.0ah batteries and a RapidCharger for like $180 last year. Sell the new charger on ebay for $35-40 since I already have about 5, and then get a free grinder and battery for about the same price as one battery.

There's a reason I have 3 Milwaukee grinders now, haha. Home depot had the grinder plus 2 5.0ah batteries and a RapidCharger for like $180 last year. Sell the new charger on ebay for $35-40 since I already have about 5, and then get a free grinder and battery for about the same price as one battery.
Almost scooped that one myself ended up with a1/2” drill for similar deal.
Ryobi has “outlet stores” the sell refurb and blemished tools cheaper than HD, I bought 3 grinders one cordless, 2 batteries a long handle 4.5” corded and a 7”Rigid corded for $200 a couple years ago
It’s funny that the parent company of Ryobi, Ridgid cordless and Milwaukee is the same (Techtronic) yet the tools are very different

That was the one thing that kept me with them for as long as I have, Yelow and Red abandon their initial followers when they changed battery design, Ryobi pledged to maintain their battery to be backward compatable.

I’ve been a yellow guy for a while. The adapter for the 20v batteries on the 18v tools is interesting in that the 20v tools aren’t actually 20v, rather 18v. It’s a marketing thing. Outside the US the tools are sold as 18v. New battery tech is much better and allows old tools to keep working. Ironically the official yellow version is hard to remove so you end up buying the knockoff one.

Let @willness33 drink some red koolaid today. We will see how this goes…
1711756145798.png

I am sold on the grunt on the big Milwaukee stuff. Until the battery said no Mas, it popped out 3 stubborn balljoints that nothing else was touching. Last one is being a bit twatty but it's close
IMG_20240329_202806.jpg

Back