Contractors license

Will Carter

A few contractors on here...

I need one.

It really doesn't matter for me which classification but is the building contractor classification any more difficult than just a specialty, say, grading/excavation or residential building?

Also, what books would you recommend?

The specialty contractor licenses are not easy as they expect you to generally be an expert in that specialty.

The Building classification is the most versatile as you can do any of the specialty classifications with that license where a specialty only license limits you. Same with Residential only. I've never taken the specialty tests so I can't really comment on actual difficulty but I would suspect they are detailed and not easy.

The residential classification, IMO, is for people that can't quite pass the Building classification test.

I have the Building classification license, so I can pretty much do anything except heavy highway, public utilities, and maybe like one more thing that I can't remember.

Take a look at the test requirements. It lists the reference materials you can bring with you. I would be familiar with those books. There is a project management book they recommend that I remember a few questions coming from. And know the code book. You don't need to know code, you just need to know how to look up a code question and cite the code.

If find a code book and the management book they recommend and maybe an estimating book. Some of the questions were estimating related.

Just for fun, I googled "contractor license sample test" and took a few on-line practice tests (10-15 questions). No prep, just basic knowledge (and some common-sense test-taking guesses), I scored anywhere from 70% (worse) to 100%. I think anyone with half a brain ought to be able to read up on the recommended books, and do well on the exam, especially if you have any field experience at all....that alone will get you to 50%, at least.

I think anyone with half a brain should be able to pass the test with some studying. If you haven't been to school for construction or haven't been in the industry for a reasonable amount of time, I'd suggest one of the prep courses.

I did construction management at ECU and have been in the industry from a welder up to foreman and a project manager. I just went and took the test without studying or taking a class and passed with about an 80. I'll take that, but I attribute that to my prior experience in construction. I think if someone had little experience and schooling in construction, they would have a very difficult time without taking the class and still would be tough even with a class.

The test is there to generally weed out random people taking the test and getting a license. It's expected that you should have a basic understanding of basic construction methods, management, business, financials, and codes.

everyone ive talked to says the one or two day crash course that some people offer will get you to pass some even have a refund if you dont pass. @rockcity is right you have to know where to find codes you dont have to know them. if you can do that you should be okay. Also ill add for what its worth my boss said NC is one of the easier states to get a license in, he has licenses in 8 states now and said NC was still the easiest.

Currently in the car so I will be brief. A contractor's license means nothing more than a proven ability to research and apply building codes.

I would recommend going for the NASCLA certification. Passing this exam will serve as a qualifier for a building license in 11 states. Passing this exam is all North Carolina requires...some other states will require additional business tests, Virginia included.

All building exams in North Carolina are open book, it just depends on the certification you are going for. The North Carolina residential license pulls material from 11 books, three of which you may have in the exam room with you. The NC General Contractors exam is similar, in you may only have a few of the reference materials with you. While the NASCLA exam pulls from 21 books, you are allowed to have all 21 books in the room with you. As well, you may use a professional tabbing system on them, as long as it is not hand-written. They give you five and a half hours to take the exam, I used 5 hours and 28 minutes. Also, for the North Carolina residential and general builders license, you have to apply to the state and be accepted before you can even take the test. With nascla, you can take the test first and then send in your paperwork.

Once you have a qualifier, then you have to make an application to the state, complete with three references and your financial accountability. For the lowest license, I believe you have to show an average of $15,000 working capital or you can qualify it personally using net worth. This will give you authorization to permit projects with up to $500,000 in scope of work. Raise your financial holdings and the next limits are $1,000,000 and then completely unlimited.

Hope that helps...

Back