Coastal North Carolina questions.......

I kinda read into that from the post - thanks Buddy Lee. So are there waves in Sunset Beach?:lol:
Also, in Texas they go around once a week in trucks spraying pesticide to kill off the skeeters - do they in NC?
Also, smoking in restaraunts - illegal? We don't smoke so would prefer that - not critical - just curious.

I can't answer the wave question because I don't surf. Most of my friends do but they never make it down to Sunset so I have no idea.

There is smoking in Restaurants, there are mostly none smoking areas but the NC requirements are not as stiff as some other states so sometimes the smoking and none smoking is just divided by a partition wall in other words ineffective. But as long as you're not in a diner it should not be too bad. NC is the #1 Tobacco producing state so I would not look for this to change any time soon.

I've not seen much in the way of spraying for bugs. But other then the nosee'ems, bugs are not that bad on the coast. High winds and insanely hot and humid temperatures kind of keep them at bay most of the time. If you get further away from the coast into the wooded areas that changes a little. But as long as your near the beach it's not bad.

Here's my .02

I know nothing about surfing, but if in fact the surfing is better on the northern beaches, you probably want to look at Bodie Island, which has the towns of Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills, Duck and some others. If you go further south to Hatteras or Okracoke you are getting into a very remote area with few people. Personally I would love to live on Hatteras or Okracoke, but only if I had to rarely leave the islands. Bodie Island has decent highways to reach it and also all your basic amenities like a grocery store and medical care, on Hatteras & Okracoke you've got a local market type grocery and a local doctor probably, but if you need hospital type care you'll have to be airlifted or take a LONG ambulance ride.

Here's a good website for homeschool info http://www.nche.com/ and here's a link to the division that actually regulates homeschooling http://www.ncdnpe.org/hhh103.htm I don't know your personal reasons for homeschooling, but you will find that many (not all, but I'd guess most) of the homeschooling families are doing so for religious reasons. There are homeschool "groups" across the state that do everything from sharing teaching the advanced subjects to just scheduling field trips together, but most of them will have a religious "slant" to them. This may or may not be a good thing from your perspective, but if it's something that matters to you it's something you'd probably want to know.

For firearm laws, this document is current through last year's session http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf the one on GRNC's site is at least a year old and there have been changes. Plus you don't have to wade through the hyperbole to get to the facts.

Most of the northern beaches in NC allow vehicles on the beach at least during certain times of the year, so if you live on the coast you can at least take the Jeep on the beach easily. Unlike CA, NC is wide, not tall. It is 477 miles from Murphy (Tellico) to Manteo (Nags Head area). The closest place to the coast to wheel if you want some rocks, etc. would probably be Uwharrie. Look on a NC map and find Troy then follow 109 northwest & you'll see where Uwharrie is located.

If a vehicle is at least 35 years old from the date of manufacture it doesn't have to have a safety inspection, so your Jeep wouldn't be subject to inspection. It would have to be tagged and insured though in order to drive it on the street. If you want the specific statutes PM me with your e-mail address & I'll be glad to send them to you.

Smoking in restaraunts is currently up to the owner of the restaraunt except in a few cities that have adopted local ordinances. If they seat a certain number of people they do have to provide a non-smoking area, but as someone else mentioned it's usually just the other side of the restaraunt with maybe a wall between them, sometimes nothing. However, the legislature has been looking at the issue and I expect some kind of restrictions to be enacted within the next couple of years, so even though we're the big tobacco state, we're heading towards non-smoking public places anyway.

Think that covers everything you mentioned that I know anything about.

Wow - very good info. Thank you for taking the time to share that with me. The links are also very helpful.

I looked at the housing prices in Duke and am thinking of something a tad cheaper.:D

So BUDD, what ya wheel??

68 Jeepster.

1455980-gatekeeper2.JPG

This is part of Gatekeeper in the Rubicon trail - RIP as the Forest Service blew the rocks into millions of peices.

Nice.. of course the bad news is.. you will not see those type trails out here.. but trust me we have a few that will challenge you :)

If your lucky enough to find a Jeepster around these parts...

its gonna be rusted to hell and back! I think Eastern and North Eastern US must use over half the supply of our salt on these roads

Ok let me translate this for you Budd. See he lives on Sunset Beach. The thing you have to know about Sunset beach is that it's one of the last remaining un yankeefied beaches in Southeastern NC. Although it's starting to catch up to the other beaches as far as cost of housing goes. They are still trying to hang on out there. Sunset beach only has a single lane floating bridge. This results in really long lines on and off the island in the summer time. The Tourist hate it and the locals love it for that reason. They have also voted several times not to build a newer bigger bridge that allows more and faster traffic on and off the island.

So that was his/her way of saying they don't want any outsiders coming there and messing with their turf.

I moved here in January and live on the mainland.. your the furthest thing from correct

NCJeepin - you would probably want me there. I used to shape and glass surfboards for a living. I shaped for 8 years and shaped/glassed boards for 5 years. Shortboards only though. Made a few longboards for close friends.

I'd love to have a fellow wheeler here... I'm all for it, brunswick county is great, i grew up in the Morehead City area and its much better down here, i like it because its so close to Myrtle Beach... Please dont take my last post as me not wanting you here.. I welcome it, i just know this is a fairly slow paced still kinda rural around here, and honestly for someone that might be use to a lot going on, could get bored really eaisly... I have no idea what the schools are like here, i have herd good things but no first hand knowledge...

Well - it looks like I am going to take a flight out in about 4-5 months to look around for a week. Probably going to focus in the Duke coastal areas and also the just inland areas for a touch more land and better price. Thanks for the info.:beer:

From Asheboro (about 20 min south of Greensboro), its 3 hours to the Sunset Beach area, about 30 minutes to the Uwharries, and about 5 hours to Tellico. Not much surfing to do around Sunset Beach... its been dredged since it's mainly a tourist beach - Emerald Isle isn't bad for surfing though, probably about 4 hours away.

Well - it looks like I am going to take a flight out in about 4-5 months to look around for a week. Probably going to focus in the Duke coastal areas and also the just inland areas for a touch more land and better price. Thanks for the info.:beer:

if u need a contact down this way, feel free to PM me for some help

I grew up in Shallotte and Ocean Isle and worked at Sunset Beach for a summer, and NCJeepin ain't lying when he says that bridge sucks.

It's a great area, really laid back, not super touristy like Myrtle Beach (but not far from MB if you're into that), but it gets really boring during the off-season. Lot of retired people in the area, not much crime at all. A lot of the local PD are wheelers too. Don't count out Wilmington either, though. There's a whole lot more going on up here, but it's still a pretty laid back town.

It's been said before, but the waves here suck. I'm living in Wilmington now, and the waves aren't much better, but we're only a few hours from the Outer Banks, and the surf gets pretty good up there, especially on storm swells. But for the most part, count on knee to thigh and mushy conditions.

Oh, and here's a shameless plug for my mom's real estate company in the Shallotte/Ocean Isle area :lol: http://pope-realestate.com/

Wassup Budd!?
I thought about telling you about NC4x4 after I talked to you tonight but I figured you might oughta steer clear of here cause you never know what kind of advice you get from total strangers from NC!:bounce2:
What you really need to do is come and visit. I can put you up for a weekend and the coast is less than 4 hrs away in most cases.
I can't tell you much about surfing but I can hook you up with a buddy in Ocean Isle who surfs all the time and works at a surf shop. (professional student)
Don't worry about being from the left coast, everybody is from somewhere else but me, I am a Native Charlottean.
Good luck on ya'lls search and let me know if I can help anymore.
RQ

RQ - I will be calling you in a few months - still looking around at different areas and crime stats/etc. We have some friends that moved a few miles outside of Charlotte and love it. What a commute to get some waves though.:driver:

Might start looking into areas not too far from the ocean but still in a good neighborhood. Might have to buy a boat instead and hook up with some wake boarders for my fix. LOL - talk to you soon - and thank you to everyone who has given suggestions and info. (Especially Susan):D

Wakeboarding?, may I suggest Lake Waccamaw, 9,000 acres of water and about 30 miles from the beach.
ai22.photobucket.com_albums_b327_tdowless_LAKEWACCAMAW011.jpg

back side, State Park.
ai22.photobucket.com_albums_b327_tdowless_LINDSEYANDTREY006.jpg

My boat on the back side/State Park
ai22.photobucket.com_albums_b327_tdowless_boatpics777.jpg

30 miles to the beach and a lake? :driver:

What are the good neighborhoods to look at in the area? Prices of homes with some acreage?

Nice little boat - you use that for wakeboarding?

Thank you for the pm - just left her a message with my #.

What are the safe/conservative areas near the lake? Prices?

11 miles is not too far for fun.:)

Well - been looking in the Charlotte area more and more. Specifically around Union County. Any suggestions?

RQ - might be out to visit you soon.

Didn't like the price and crime rates closer to the coast - I imagine from tourism. We haven't given up yet - although at times feel like I should on my Jeepster.:lol:

Budd my sister-in-law is a real estate agent and may be able to help you.
But I can tell you the good and bad areas of Union, Stanly, and Cabarrus Counties.

Charlotte is a great town. Although you might not get the sq. footage that you think. It's not that far from URE/Tellico. Plus, Lake Norman is not too far - there's your fix for water. Ocean-style however, is pretty far. Won't be a week day thing anymore.

Back