Clutch Linkage

duke343

I have a 98 6cylinder TJ. I have some sort of problem with the clutch linkage maybe. I can use all gears and start and stop until randomly it will completely lock up and not allow me to go into any gear. The clutch is as if its not engaged and I have to kill the engine to go into 1st gear. I would appreciate any solutions to this problem. Thanks.

Any leakage.......does it feel like theres no pedal , any other info..........noises..
could be a number of things, master cylinder seal, slave cylinder seal.....
you are pressing the clutch pedal and not the brake pedal, correct?:uzi:

Just a little more info.......please.

There is no leakage, the clutch pedal kind of sticks and can't be put all the way in when it locks up. But this problem is not happening all the time. Just every few miles, coming from a stop into 1st.

When It does in next time pull into nearest parking lot and look under at the linkage. Might be something stuck in it. Had a BMW where the tranny shifter didn't feel right (Auto). When I got under it there was a tree branch stuck in between the linkage and the tranny. Big, like half to 3/4 inch around! God only knows where they were when they picked that up! :shaking: You at least would have an excuse.

Might just need some PB blaster in there somewhere also.

duke343 said:
There is no leakage, the clutch pedal kind of sticks and can't be put all the way in when it locks up. But this problem is not happening all the time. Just every few miles, coming from a stop into 1st.

Yeah check the linkage at the pedal first.......if you dont find anything my guess would be a toasted throw-out bearing........my z71 acted just like that when my T/O bearing went out....good luck.

Back