clutch fork hitting pressure plate.

Black Bear

I have a 97 TJ that would not move under its own power. The owner suspected the slave cyl was bad, and replaced it. When he removed it the metal rod that pushes the fork, and the rubber boot was missing. He installed the new one, but it still wouldnt move. You could start the motor push in the clutch, and put it in gear, with no grinding, and release the clutch and it would not move. So we pulled the tranny, and we found the old metal rod and boot. But we also found that the clutch side of the fork had been grinding agianst the pressure plate. Almost like it was over extended, and would not go back to rest. We have a new clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and pilot bearing ready to go in, but id like to figure out why this is happening. I dont want to put it all back together, and still have the same issues. Any ideas on what could cause this?

Also I found out that they had problems with the slave cylinder in the past, and the did some "engineering" to get it to work, im not sure what though.

John did you look at the throw out bearing? ii could be worn. I you have all new parts you should be fine

one of the throw out bearing's clips was broken, and it was hard to get out of the fork. I was thinking that had something to do with the problem....

Back