CJ/YJ Reverse shackles

I was watching one of the Motor Trend On Demand shows months (or years?) ago and David Freiburger was doing a walk around of his Scrambler and he mentioned he wished he hadn't done the shackle reversal knowing what he knows now.
He didn't go into any other detail as to why, but the comment stuck out to me because for so long people always said that's the best thing you could do to help the stock suspension set up.

Pros for reversal:
Shackle will not rotate all the way back and break your leaf springs if hit hard in the front.

Cons:
When at full droop, the pinion on the axle will rotate down making your U joint possibly bind
Axle moves forward when drooped so you need a front driveshaft with a longer splined section.

If you zoom in you can see what I’m saying on my old Tacoma.

EE168C23-ABD2-4CEE-BA45-E7A5628779A6.jpeg

I like front shackles.
I’m a fan of limiting your shackles in the front from rotating all the way back to keep your leafs from breaking.

Kept my shackle in front when going to waggy springs. Moved everything forward and raised the front shackle for a lower stance. Thought about the reversal, but other than some comments on it rides slightly better I didn't see any advantage. And it's leaf springs on a short wheel base its just not going to ride like a prerunner truck...

Not having to run a long travel drive shaft or have your axle trying to drive out from under your truck is a nice case for shackles forward! I like, @Van-go , went shackles forward on my tacoma for mostly the same reasons. Also you can keep it lower (trying to remember back to my yj days if that was even a factor).

I did reverse on my original UPNOVER Jeep. Lot's of issues, one after another. Seems was my only "breaks" out on the trail. Before I linked my current Jeep, I had the original set up, and after all the years running it that way, I bent one leaf spring, which was 1000% better than running it reverse and the issues I had with it. I'd never do it again.
issues: broke U-joints, binding, separating drive shaft, and on and on.

I had YJ springs with shackle reversal on the front of my samurai. It worked great but had to have a ton of slip in the driveshaft.

Just don't do those two joint, dropout type shackles. Those things are the devil.

Back