CJ tranny/T-case

BIGWOODY

A buddy of mine has a CJ7 360/400/q-trac. Originally it had the offset qtrac rear axle. He swapped in a centered rear and obviously the driveshaft won't line up. He got a D20 case to replace the qtrac unit, will this work or is an adaptor needed? If so where can one be had or what would anyone suggest? Thanks

While it does have a true "AMC bolt pattern" (no adapters needed at the block), I believe the rear of the case is such that it's very hard & expensive to convert. FWIW, lot's of folks swear by the QT... the bad word comes from them never changing the "special fluid" & chain, then wondering why it laid down on them! :rolleyes: (parts are available).

If you need to search for a "Jeep" (Buick-Olds-Pontiac) TH-400, they came in jeepsters, Commandos, Waggy's & J-trucks. He'd need the cast iron ring that mates the block, the spacer for the crank flange, & possibly a different offset flexplate. If your looking for a Jeep TH-400 setup for a D20, LMK... I have some connections :lol:

While this will probably bring out the flames :shaking: , it won't hurt a thing to run the QT with a centered diff... in reality, the driveshaft sees only one angle.... whether it's centered & down to diff or offset to one side (my 304/TH-400/D20 sits 3" to starboard & the pinion is centered... from the factory)

This jeep came from the factory with a 360/400/Qtrac.....he's just wanting to mate the D20 to the factory Jeep 400. any hook ups on that Dave?

Back