CJ Spring Over / Outboard

Well I moved the trail Jeep out of the shop under it's own power for the first time in a year or so. I like the way it sits, going to move the front axle forward another inch.
I do not like the fact that now this engine is overheating. :(
ai168.photobucket.com_albums_u179_amcjeepman_Trail_20Jeep_BlowingRockAug2010028.jpg

Still a few things to finish as well, shocks, different steering arm, make a bumper, paint the rest green.
ai168.photobucket.com_albums_u179_amcjeepman_Trail_20Jeep_BlowingRockAug2010030.jpg

Nice...

James, I had a similar set up for a traction bar. What I found that when it flexed, it bent the springs.(Traction bar stronger than the springs) When the springs drooped down, they become shorter, center to front mount. When the compressed up, the springs become longer. Movement either way the center of the spring to the spring eye changed. The traction bar did not. That's when my springs bent. To fix it, I had to mount a shackle(just like on the end of the spring) so it would be able to move to counter the spring length changing.
I know hot rods used a similar set up, but the springs didn't have near the movement as a trail rig.
Hope your experience is better.

This is a good looking rig. It was nice to meet you today, I hope I get to come back out and talk with you some more. Thanks for the wheels.

Craig

More progress, solved the heating problem. The Fan clutch had gone bad, also made a shroud. Got the fron shock mounts fabbed and welded on. Modified my traction bar set up per Chips advice.
ai168.photobucket.com_albums_u179_amcjeepman_Trail_20Jeep_RandomShots042.jpg

Now if I can get my friend to finish my tube fenders ;)
ai168.photobucket.com_albums_u179_amcjeepman_Trail_20Jeep_RandomShots038.jpg

ai168.photobucket.com_albums_u179_amcjeepman_Trail_20Jeep_RandomShots040.jpg

I'd say about 90% ready to get back out on the trail. :)

Never got a chance to finish the tube fenders, will try again this summer. However I was finally able to get A.J.'s (my son) seat installed.
Brackets
ai168.photobucket.com_albums_u179_amcjeepman_Trail_20Jeep_DSCN0003.jpg

Installed
ai168.photobucket.com_albums_u179_amcjeepman_Trail_20Jeep_DSCN0005.jpg

With seat belts
ai168.photobucket.com_albums_u179_amcjeepman_Trail_20Jeep_DSCN0006.jpg

The basically finished front suspension.
ai168.photobucket.com_albums_u179_amcjeepman_Trail_20Jeep_DSCN0007.jpg

I have actually progressed to the point of taking it on a couple trail rides.
CTB ride at the Flats.
ai168.photobucket.com_albums_u179_amcjeepman_Trail_20Jeep_DSCN9389.jpg

ai168.photobucket.com_albums_u179_amcjeepman_Trail_20Jeep_DSCN9421.jpg

Always more to do. o_O

James, I guess you started so far back, that I completely missed it. Didn't even catch on at the Flats! Hope you gave up on the "GREEN". Dons' got enough GREEN, for everybody!
See you at the Wind Mill !:burnout:

Tire carrier not done, but close. Who knows when I get another week with no overtime to be able to sneak in a little more work?
ai168.photobucket.com_albums_u179_amcjeepman_Trail_20Jeep_DSCN0117.jpg

ai168.photobucket.com_albums_u179_amcjeepman_Trail_20Jeep_DSCN0119.jpg

Latch I made, need to put a safety lock on it, hopefully it will hold for UNF this weekend.
ai168.photobucket.com_albums_u179_amcjeepman_Trail_20Jeep_DSCN0123.jpg

Back