Chipper PTO Clutch Removal (Was: Special socket for SAE PTO bellhousings?)

jeepinmatt

..l.
Jump to here for clutch removal: Chipper PTO Clutch Removal (Was: Special socket for SAE PTO bellhousings?)

Anybody know of a special socket for the 16mm bolt heads on SAE bellhousings? The clearance is too tight to fit even the thinnest 12pt 16mm and 5/8 sockets that I have, and I can get an open end wrench on it, but they are too tight and gonna round off. They aren't super tight, just a decade of rust and heat cycling tight that is too much for an open end.
20220425_191910.jpg
20220425_191913.jpg

Last edited:
Can you break them loose with a line wrench to prevent rounding? Or a crows foot line wrench? Maybe after breaking them loose a regular open end can spin them out.

Can you break them loose with a line wrench to prevent rounding? Or a crows foot line wrench? Maybe after breaking them loose a regular open end can spin them out.
Not enough clearance for a line wrench.

I ground down a Craftsman socket to fit such a tight spot...got 4 bolts off before the 16 mm socket metal split..my bolts tight enough I needed a 12" cheater bar on the 3/8" 9' long ratchet. Had another job where the bolts had hardly any clearance for a wrench, socket...only 2 bolts so MIG welded a smaller nut to their top side..between the heat and an available nut to grab, got the job done. Even reused them.

Well I guess you know but it's not going to be a metric wrench, but if you can't turn a 5/8 socket down small enough to get around it then no socket will fit. I've never run into a bellhousing that close to the bolts

Well I guess you know but it's not going to be a metric wrench, but if you can't turn a 5/8 socket down small enough to get around it then no socket will fit. I've never run into a bellhousing that close to the bolts
The 8.8 on the bolt heads would disagree with your non-metric assessment. But 16mm at 0.629" vs 5/8" at 0.625" is close enough for government work. Obviously the 5/8" will be a little smaller, and I have a chinese and Craftsman 5/8" socket ready to sacrifice, but I was hoping to spend like $10 on the right tool and just get the job done.

Just called my field guy and he said this is what they use. Thin enough to clear the hump to get in and also thin enough to clear the housing......
Thanks for checking. I'll measure the socket when I get home, but I'm pretty sure its thinner/smaller than the wrench in your link. I have a wide variety of wrenches and sockets, including a really nice full set of chrome Snap On metric combo wrenches that fit just about anything I've ever needed, and they didn't stand a chance on this clearance. Also checked all my sockets (Snap On, Craftsman, Crescent, Gearwrench, Kobalt, and random chinese junk) and basically none of them were close. The nice old 70's Craftsman 12pt 3/8" drive with the thinnest wall was able to fit on about 3 of the 12, but still got a lot to go.

He's way too cheap to buy that!
I am way too cheap, but I'll spend some money on tools. Especially if it saves me a few hours of frustration.

Blue wrench, Number one tip. Once off and you go back together Socket Head Cap Screws for the next go around.

Blue wrench, Number one tip. Once off and you go back together Socket Head Cap Screws for the next go around.
Or even just a fat lockwasher under them. Doesn't need much. I'd guess 50ftlbs will get em loose, just need a grip on em.

Or even just a fat lockwasher under them. Doesn't need much. I'd guess 50ftlbs will get em loose, just need a grip on em.
At that I am surprised you did not resort to channel lock pliers or a deep flat groove ground in the heads combined with a impact driver and a beefy flat screwdriver profile insert.

Just saying cause I've done all three of my suggestions when good and pissed. LOL!

At that I am surprised you did not resort to channel lock pliers or a deep flat groove ground in the heads combined with a impact driver and a beefy flat screwdriver profile insert.

Just saying cause I've done all three of my suggestions when good and pissed. LOL!
Didn't have time to be good and pissed last night because supper was ready. Was hoping to be smart, post up, and hear that I was using the wrong tool. Guess I'll be pissed at it tonight.

Last edited:
I see what the problem is. All I hear is a lot of whining and complaining and excuse-making where there should be problem-solving. The problem is you don't have a can-do attitude. You're too busy posting lame excuses about what won't work.

The real question should be, exactly how bad is the problem you're trying to solve by removing the bell housing? Broken bits that don't allow the machine to operate or a leaky seal? One requires further attention, the other can be solved with some kitty litter.

Back