Cherokee Control Arms

thebluyak

What happens whenever you lift a cherokee say 4 or 5 inchs and dont replace the lower control arms right away? Is it just the ride sucks really bad or its detrimental to sme of the front suspension parts or what.

With a 4-5 inch lift you will be changing the caster of the front axle. This will put some scary steering issues into play.

I know you want to go cheap as you can with this thing because you are leaving it in a short while...DON'T GO CHEAP. Don't half ass a project. It will only cost you more in the long run. Wheel the thing like it is. Make sure you've got a buddy near by. A tow strap and a good recovery point are way cheaper and just as effective as a winch.

If I were in your position, trying to wheel my junk on little or no budget, knowing I'd be leaving it behind for a while. Here is what I would do.

Replace front bumper...GET A GOOD ONE OR HAVE SOMEONE BUILD YOU A GOOD ONE! Maybe even get one set up for a winch since you know you are gonna end up with one. Make sure it has good tow points. Then turn around and walk to the back of your Jeep and put a couple of good anchors back there. They will be good for grabbing a buddy or getting pulled back off a rock.

Now go up to the top of the Forums here and read the "important announcements" section, primarily the "So...You think you are a wheeler" post.

Then, learn to drive it! Some good finesse with some occasional aplication of the skinny pedal will get you a long way around here. Then wheel the piss out of it...

haha yes ive read the you think you a wheeler, it was a good read. Im getting an AAl and raising the rear up to pick the back end off my tires, my tires have already started to rub my fenders and take off paint and such, I can only cut so far in the back. So I was going to add a couple inchs in the back and keep the front like it is, and just cut far up on my front fenders, and hopefully equal out and keep all the tires from rubbing. It will sit a little cokceyed to the front though but I can deal with that if it allows my to have a little more clearence in the rear. :)
Also the fineasse part, I completly hear that, its a totally different world running a clutch offroad then it is driving my clutch on road in my car

If you do not replace the lower control arms you will bottom them out fast. Go with aftermarket adj. and RE control arm drop brackets and supports. That will bring control arm angle back to normal and they will flex out mad, provided your shocks are long enough.

To get the best flex you will want to put upper and lower control arms on it. Drop brackets don't become a must untill 6in of lift or more. If you don't already have an adjustable Trackbar and HD mount I would reccomend doing that.

What i plan to do when i go up to 5in of lift is put on the set of RE fixed superflex lower arms i have sitting at home, adjust the track bar and then get an allingment. I shouldn't have any bump steer ore death wobble with that setup. I have seen it work well many times. Each jeep is different thought and some tend to take more work to get dialed in just right. It also is a matter of how much you can put up with when it comes to ride and steering also.

Back