Chasing a dream

I’d seriously consider an F450 or F550 before going the Ram route. When I was looking, I saw waaaay too many sub-250k mile Rams “with new motor” or “motor replaced at 1xxK”. Plus the Ford interiors seem better built, and y’all spend a LOT of time in there. The Ford transmission programming and power delivery is also a lot better in my opinion. And mirrors.

The 19-21 trucks had a cp4 like the ford and dmax, it's a dogshit injection pump that takes out the whole engine. Cummins was smart enough to get rid of it after seeing the failures.

The 19-21 trucks had a cp4 like the ford and dmax, it's a dogshit injection pump that takes out the whole engine. Cummins was smart enough to get rid of it after seeing the failures.
S&S has a DCR kit for the fords to replace the CP4 pumps I think they have them for the chevys to.

So 19 - 21 Fords have the CP4 and newer are different?

As did GM with the introduction of the LML engine in 2011. The easiest thing to do on a Dmax is a CP3 swap. Pretty simple and straight forward.

When GM came out with the L5P in 2017, they used a Denso HP4 pump instead of the Bosch CP4. Those can also be swapped for a CP3, if needed for performance, but don't seem to be nearly as problematic as CP4s.

Couldn't do that on the Fords because it won't physically fit in the engine valley.

S&S has a CP3 swap kit for the 19-21 Dodges and, more often than not, the warranty claims would actually pay for them.

20231118_114241.jpg

I've got a bucket truck on a Kodiak chassis with a 3126, it can barely pull itself around I can't imagine pulling something behind it. Sad they put such turd engines in medium duty vehicles.

So @77GreenMachine you figured out what's wrong yet or is this thread just turning into crazy CL ads

Fucking crazy that it's been a month and nobody has looked at it yet. That's probably all you need to know, honestly....
This is the definition of perspective.

Or you take it to a shop with a stellar reputation, parking lot full of trucks to be repaired, understand ppl are busy trying to do their best work & the labor market sucks for good help. But what do I know? @77GreenMachine you prob should find somewhere else to take

Glad everyone was ok. That looked like a hell of a hit.
Was a very hard hit. We both walked away without a scratch but it could've been much worse. Abrupt stop, 4 car pile up... we were the 4th. Ppl in front of us hit the ppl in front of them (and ppl behind us side swiped us but left the scene) & everybody dove into the median & right lane. We had nowhere to go unfortunately. I don't see how we don't hit the ppl in front of us even without a trailer pushing us. Stupid dumb luck & I really hate it for Phillip to be down another vehicle. But everybody is safe & back home with our families tonight. We're very blessed & thankful.

I’d seriously consider an F450 or F550 before going the Ram route. When I was looking, I saw waaaay too many sub-250k mile Rams “with new motor” or “motor replaced at 1xxK”. Plus the Ford interiors seem better built, and y’all spend a LOT of time in there. The Ford transmission programming and power delivery is also a lot better in my opinion. And mirrors.

I’m not opposed to that either. I just need a 12’6” bed at minimum. Might could squeak by with an 11’6” and some extensions like @tobaccoroad4wd did.
Shoot he should just sell me his truck 🤔

The verdict is in. Injector #4 failed and there's a hole in the piston.

I can put a long block & injectors in it for roughly $15K or I can do a complete drop in with everything brand new for roughly $20K

As you all know I'm also down a pickup. In fact it was the best pickup I've ever had. Now I have to figure out my next move altogether. I'd much prefer to void a truck payment, but $20k down along with whatever I got out of mine would be about half way into a much newer truck, with a warranty.

Hell I'm about ready to throw in the towel altogether with all of this, go back to work, keep my head down, stack money and live simple and stop sharing my life.

Back