Charlotte Area dairies? Local eggnog?

Fabrik8

Overcomplicator
I haven't poked around for local eggnog in a while, does anyone know of local dairies that supply any? Haven't had any good stuff since we lived in Colorado and our local Whole Foods sold some amazing local eggnog. Whole Foods was cheaper there too (many more competitors), and we haven't shopped there since then because we're not of the right... ...er... income level. I doubt they even allow anything but German luxury cars in the parking lot in Huntersville; pickup trucks and Subarus probably get towed....but I digress.

Ideally Charlotte area or North of Charlotte.

maybe try 201 central? Its a wine/beer specialty store that is owned by Harris Teeter. Corner of Eastfield/Prosperity Church. They have a great selection of local brews.

so what you're saying is that I need to roll up in my CJ covered in mud and watch them lose it.

Not saying it's local [why would that be better?] but Walmart carries about 4 brands, & probably cheaper than other stores.
I Love egg nog, but as the old saying, It Loves me too! Can Never loose those calories!

Not saying it's local [why would that be better?]

Try some fresh from a dairy, in a glass bottle, and then you'll know. It's not even on the same planet as something that can sit in a fridge case for months.

Plus, support your local businesses, else they'll close and the land will be covered with tract homes. I believe that's likely the reason that I can't find a local dairy.

I can't even grasp the speed at which they're converting every forest and field around here into shitty spec homes with vinyl siding and brick on the front and sitting 10 feet from the next house.

Oh, and they're selling like hotcakes. :shaking:

Last edited:
It's mot too hard to make your own. Get some fresh farm eggs and milk and go to town.

Try some fresh from a dairy, in a glass bottle, and then you'll know. It's not even on the same planet as something that can sit in a fridge case for months.

Plus, support your local businesses, else they'll close and the land will be covered with tract homes. I believe that's likely the reason that I can't find a local dairy.

I can't even grasp the speed at which they're converting every forest and field around here into shitty spec homes with vinyl siding and brick on the front and sitting 10 feet from the next house.

Oh, and they're selling like hotcakes. :shaking:

I live in a little town about halfway between Raleigh & Greensboro. 20 minutes or so from my house is a local dairy farm called Maple View Farm and their eggnog is phenomenal. Some of their products are in the grocery stores around here. Local eggnog from a dairy is far better than anything you can get commercially. They also make their own ice cream and it too is incredible. I checked their website and unfortunately the closest store to you that carries their products is Simply Good Natural Foods in Salisbury.

I live in a little town about halfway between Raleigh & Greensboro. 20 minutes or so from my house is a local dairy farm called Maple View Farm and their eggnog is phenomenal. Some of their products are in the grocery stores around here. Local eggnog from a dairy is far better than anything you can get commercially. They also make their own ice cream and it too is incredible. I checked their website and unfortunately the closest store to you that carries their products is Simply Good Natural Foods in Salisbury.

The only stuff I've heard about for sale around us is from Homeland Creamery, which is likely not very far away from you in Julian. Must be a good area to still have a working dairy farm.

It's come to my attention that suddenly Earth Fare, Trader Joes, and Whole Foods all stock Homestead Creamery from VA in glass bottles. Going to check that out after work.

Homestead Creamery, Homeland Creamery, that's not confusing at all.

Last local Dairy I knew of was out Shopton Rd., Charlotte. It's been gone for years. There is a Creamery in Concord, but I think it's just ice cream; don't even know the name/brand.
On the housing, since I drive a dump truck, I Know! Seems odd for the Season, but in the past month, there's seems to be an Explosion in the Denver area.
And Don't look in at Trilogy [retired community], the de-forestation will break your heart! And their just in their First year!

That's the way now. Take a forest, level it into a field, and subdivide it into 1/4-1/3 acre lots.

I got some nog at Earth Fare on the way home. Glass deposit and everything.

Last edited:
I'm going to try making my own later...

That's the way now. Take a forest, level it into a field, and subdivide it into 1/4-1/3 acre lots.

I used to joke about cookie cutter developments... where they cut the trees down and name the streets after them. :rolleyes:

how fresh are you talking here? all milk in north Carolina is pasteurized before it can be sold. its against the law for me to sell to the public.

Fresh meaning local and quick to market. Dunno, it's probably the glass bottle that makes it taste much better from a local/regional dairy. I just know the local stuff is usually better than whatever comes in a carton from some other area of the country.

You're the dairy guy, tell me why that is....? :D

there is a farm a few miles from rock hill, right by my house. Thames Farm Not sure if they make egg nog but they do sell raw milk. I try to shop there as much as possible.

I'm going to try making my own later...

Made ours last year. It was pretty damn good, especially since that's the best chance to use real "nog".
Certainly doesn't have a long shelf life though and you can't really make just a couple servings so get ready for a hefty dose of cholesterol.

I LOVE eggnog but as I've gotten older and get less exercise I find I really can't drink too much of it. Usually go for the "lite" stuff these days.

Made ours last year. It was pretty damn good, especially since that's the best chance to use real "nog".
Certainly doesn't have a long shelf life though and you can't really make just a couple servings so get ready for a hefty dose of cholesterol.

I LOVE eggnog but as I've gotten older and get less exercise I find I really can't drink too much of it. Usually go for the "lite" stuff these days.

Recipe?

Have you seen Alton Brown's recipe for aged eggnog? Says it can stay in the fridge for up to a year... that's not the one I'm planning to make this time around.

Recipe?

Have you seen Alton Brown's recipe for aged eggnog? Says it can stay in the fridge for up to a year... that's not the one I'm planning to make this time around.
Have not seen that. It was one of Alton's recipe's though. Just something I nabbed off the interwebz.

Man this thread got me really yearning. Called around the local dairies and farmers markets, all sold out of the local farm-fresh made stuff.

So now I've decided to swing by and get the fresh supplies and make my own tomorrow.
The big decision is... what type of bourbon (or rum?) to use...

Southern comforts vanilla eggnog is the shiznit especially with a lil Angelico and some beam...

Back