charger advice for a lipo battery

trevoringle

Just a dirtbike rider with a RZR
first off, glad to see this section got added and have been waiting for it for a good while!...anyways, im about to get a lipo battery to runon my ax-10 with a rooster crawler esc, its going to be a 7.4v 5000mah lipo battery....any advice?, just looking for a decent charger for a decent price, or what do you guys use?

i have a venom pro, it charges all type rc batteries. it is a little complicated at first but once you figure it out it's great.
http://www.rcsuperstore.com/Venom_Pro_Charger_with_Power_Supply_p/ven0657.htm

i have heard a lot of good things about hyperion chargers, someone else will answer with their opinions.

whatever you do, make sure you get a charger with a balancing circuit, or you will have to buy a balancer also.

ill have to go check one of those out, gonna try to pick one up from hobbytown in hickory just to not have to deal with shipping and waiting but havent got to look to see what they keep in stock

thanks for all the replies....i think im going to go check out hobby town and see what they have, id lik to stay around a $70ish range so that onyx 230 aint looking too bad at the moment

Been awhile since I've done any charger research but I'm pretty sure the Onyx 230 doesn't have a balancer included. Any time you are charging a lipo or life battery, you want to use a balancer. This will insure that each cell is getting charged evenly. Battery maintenance and upkeep is very important with lipo's.

Remember to figure in the cost of a balancer with the charger if one is not included.

well i havent actually looked at it yet so i can say if it does or dont have one....ill have to go check one out or see what else they have before i know for sure what ill get i guess...i have seen the ballancers for relativly cheap but i would rather have one built into the chager

blinky balancer is on $30 bucks, i used to run 4 230s at once when i ran short course.. my 3 trucks and my kids slash each, hard to beat em.. i dont know many that have built in balancer for less than $90 bucks

The Hyperion 0606i will come with a balancer for Hyperion style plug batteries but you will have to buy more balancers for other types of batteries.

I have 3 different balancers for my 0606i, the different battery brands I have are Hyperion, Venom, Thunder Power, Sky Lipo and RC Bros. Think I have about 25 batteries between all my RC stuff.

The Hyperion 0606i will come with a balancer for Hyperion style plug batteries but you will have to buy more balancers for other types of batteries.

I have 3 different balancers for my 0606i, the different battery brands I have are Hyperion, Venom, Thunder Power, Sky Lipo and RC Bros. Think I have about 25 batteries between all my RC stuff.
you charge all of them off this one charger?....and do you just have to have the connector style of that battery?, all of mine are deans plugs right now so i was planning on getting the same on th lipo battery

Hyperion 6060i here and my neighbor has the dual. I've seen the newer version on sale for $105.

The newer Hyperions have a PC hookup-cool stuff for sure having checked out my neighbor's setup.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html
Thats what I use. Its awesome for the price. Solidly made, comes with the balancer, and comes with just about any connection you need (except deans :rolleyes:)
for 44 dollars, its a steal!
saw that you were form hickory....you wouldnt happen to know if hobbytown in hickory keeps these do you?, from what a few others said too this seems to be an awesome deal

saw that you were form hickory....you wouldnt happen to know if hobbytown in hickory keeps these do you?, from what a few others said too this seems to be an awesome deal

I dont believe so. I know they have the Onyx ones, and charge quite a bit for them. They are lacking in the battery/charger department for sure. Id stick to online for those.

alright, thanks for all the help....i guess its just up to me to go ahead and decide what i want

just ordered one of the thunder AC6 chargers, from what was said on here and reviews i read elsewhere it seems to be about the best value as far as lipo chargers go

just ordered one of the thunder AC6 chargers, from what was said on here and reviews i read elsewhere it seems to be about the best value as far as lipo chargers go

You're going to like it. Good charger for the price.

Be warned though...the instructions are a bit..."chinesey". You'll see what I mean when you get it. Its best to youtube videos of how to use it, they talk you through quite well.

Oh I forgot, there is also a software program you can download through the HobbyPartz site that allows you to see your charge cycle visually, even cell by cell if you're balancing LiPo, which is pretty cool.

You're going to like it. Good charger for the price.
Be warned though...the instructions are a bit..."chinesey". You'll see what I mean when you get it. Its best to youtube videos of how to use it, they talk you through quite well.
Oh I forgot, there is also a software program you can download through the HobbyPartz site that allows you to see your charge cycle visually, even cell by cell if you're balancing LiPo, which is pretty cool.
yeah that what im planning on doing, started watching some of the video on hobbypartz website but figured it was kinda pointless without having the charger already haha.....and yeah i saw that it had that on it too, might try it out and once in a while just to se what it looks like

what opinions do you have on this charger?
awesome charger for the money....i only have one crawler at the time and only one lipo so it suits my needs just fine....it charged my 7.2v 5000Mah battery in just about an hour from taking the battery out of the package. But defintly watch the youtube video on how to use it, its way better than the instructions it comes with

I'm thinking about upgrading to lipo's. I've heard rummors of guys getting 4 -6 hours from one charge on thier lipo's. Is this true?

If this is the case, it only makes since. Buy fewer batteries and won't have to carry so many....

Back